Interesting to see that they're proposing not one but two new GO stations to be integrated with phase 1 of the RL. This will open up all kinds of possibilities for GO passengers going to and from the east end of the city but not necessarily downtown. People on the Lakeshore and Stouffville lines will be able to transfer onto the Eglinton LRT, Danforth subway, and RL at 5 different locations between Riverdale and Eglinton. The travel possibilities will be in an entirely different league from what we have now. Proper fare integration is essential to make the most of all the new connections.

Forget which thread it was in, but I thought there was some insider info a couple weeks back that Mlinx will exclude the Gerrard station from its short list due to its proximity to the 21 Don Rdwy/East Harbour station.

As for this preferred sub-alignment (B1-EQ), I'm still wondering if this will end up as what's chosen. I know we don't see or hear much about branched systems, but I think there's an opportunity here for it. If we instead shift from the current B1-EQ to GQ, perhaps we could create a spur of sorts near Broadview/Queen that would not only serve the Unilever site directly like EQ, but also be extended further south into the Port Lands (and/or the future Expo site). So in a way we could get the best of both systems: higher speeds and more relief with the main line, but direct service to the Unilever site and greater Port Lands with the branch. Just a thought.

This is based off of the old information. You can see the old map currently posted to the Crosstown site does not label Science Centre as intermodal.
They do not place an indicator as to what it will connect with, but it is definitely an intermodal rapid transit connection of some sort. It is not indicating bus connections.

I agree, I noticed the label changed in March? when the shortlisted artists for the interiors were announced. All intermodal stations are getting "unique" interior designs, and Science Center was among them.

It's (probably) just a label for the fact it has an actual bus terminal. Most stations have a simple on-street connection or in a couple of cases a bus-loop. Yes, a DRL Long option would most likely stop at Science Center station but it's very early to give SC a special label.

I think someone just found an excuse to make Science Center Station themed.

Edit: Yes, March. http://www.metrolinx.com/en/aboutus/mediarelations/news/20160323_Artwork_for_Crosstown_Stations.aspx

Last edited:
It's not too early for Metrolinx to build Science Centre station with transfer to another underground line designed for, however, especially as Metrolinx themselves have declared that the best way to tackle Yonge line loads is to build the Relief Line all the way to Sheppard. Even if the RL isn't approved yet, especially that far north, there's no way they'd build that station without the potential connection being taken into account.

I know I'm late in asking this question, but what's the justification for not having the subway just run under King? It seems that many commuters would be going to and from the business district, and King Street itself, all the way to Berkeley, seems more dense than Queen, with new office space building built all the time. Am I wrong in thinking this?
Their justification is that they want to spread the new rapid transit infrastructure out a bit for a better overall network. That's a debatable decision of theirs.

Is there any indication that they will continue the planning for the rest of the Relief Line Long?

I'd hate to learn that they plan to only pitch Phase 1 and not bother to pitch the whole thing (Dundas West to Sheppard) all at once.
Get used to it: there is no chance of Relief Line Long coming to the table yet.

Pick your battles: make sure that phase one gets approved—it already represents a huge (and hugely expensive) step forward—and as soon as it is approved, hit the City with "okay, let's get phase two figured out!" What we want is to have somewhere for the TBMs to move on to without being removed from the ground when phase 1 is tunnelled.

Transportation Planning wants a highly travelled line (enough new stations, good network connectivity) that's not too expensive (not too many stations), while also being measurably faster for those transferring at the Pape to get Downtown than it has been transferring at Yonge (again, not too many stations).

In response Transportation Planning wants to move forward with the most expensive plan with the longest route mileage and with the highest travel time. No wonder transportation progress in this city is moving backwards.

Get used to it: there is no chance of Relief Line Long coming to the table yet.

Pick your battles: make sure that phase one gets approved—it already represents a huge (and hugely expensive) step forward—and as soon as it is approved, hit the City with "okay, let's get phase two figured out!" What we want is to have somewhere for the TBMs to move on to without being removed from the ground when phase 1 is tunnelled.

Oh I totally get that and I agree...

However, the Feds are in for up to 50% for funding a project of that magnitude...leaving the pressure on the Ontario Liberals to fulfill their promise of building it before the next election.

Do we know if a Patrick Brown would even want to hear about Phase 2? let alone Phase 3? assuming he leaves Phase 1 alone to try and win votes in Toronto?
I can already see him making himself as the Phase 1 champion by reminding Torontonians that the Liberals didn't delivered on their promises...Once that's funded and gets started...I'm pessimistic about the rest of the line

Got to balance the books first, right?
-Patrick Brown :)

Developing: Province commits $150 million to fund Relief Line planning/design studies.

Cj4klX9WsAEotUN.jpg:large

I can't find much to complain about on the chosen route.

I am not sure if it is impossible to tunnel under an existing subway line, or does it depend on the geology? If the Eglinton process is repeated, the tunneling would likely stop just south of Bloor (at Pape) and just east of Yonge (on Queen). Would the launch shaft be somewhere in between, with pairs of TBM's going in opposite directions? I guess between Yonge and University would be cut-and-cover.

If you can tunnel under the lines, it should continue to the Millwood Bridge area. Headwalls would be built for Cosburn, but the station deferred to the next stage.
The route to the west should also be thought about to rough-in the line for a future phase. There does not seem to be enough consensus whether it should go southwards or west and then north.

Just phase 1.

Hence my worry.
Even if they plan to pitch the line in phases, the whole line should be made shovel ready to speed things up.

It's easier to push through shovel ready projects, even in phases

Hence my worry.
Even if they plan to pitch the line in phases, the whole line should be made shovel ready to speed things up.

It's easier to push through shovel ready projects, even in phases

I agree completely. Later today you will have the opportunity to make your point.

Screen shot 2016-06-01 at 2.22.25 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-06-01 at 2.22.25 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-06-01 at 2.22.25 PM.png
    99.6 KB · Views: 907
This looks like the beginning to Metrolinx owning a subway line too.

It's not too early for Metrolinx to build Science Centre station with transfer to another underground line designed for, however, especially as Metrolinx themselves have declared that the best way to tackle Yonge line loads is to build the Relief Line all the way to Sheppard. Even if the RL isn't approved yet, especially that far north, there's no way they'd build that station without the potential connection being taken into account.

It's actually getting late. If they know there will be another line crossing Eglinton at Science Centre, they need to plan for that. Like how people traffic will connect (avoid a Bloor-Yonge situation) and make structural designs for another line. Otherwise they'll might end up with a "moving the Eglinton station platform" project.

Finch West Station anticipates a Finch West LRT at the start.

Back