I would love to see an entire museum/fine art/cultural campus be developed amongst the original OP islands and the empty southern portion of the CNE. (including the ghastly waterside parking strip.) Imagine all of our much lamented "missing" attractions nestled together here: a world class aquarium, a kick ass planetarium (incorporating the Cinesphere), the proposed Toronto museum, a contemporary art museum, a children's museum, a theatre in the round and the marine museum. And then perhaps this special bonus attraction: The National Portrait Gallery occupying Zeidler's iconic pods.

It could be something like the Museum Campus in Chicago, which has the Shedd Aquarium, the Field Museum and the Adler Planetarium all in the same place.

Maybe if they rebuild the single-screen IMAX Cinesphere with are larger multi-screens IMAX Cinesphere, I would accept that.

I don't understand, can you explain?

It could be something like the Museum Campus in Chicago, which has the Shedd Aquarium, the Field Museum and the Adler Planetarium all in the same place.

Areas like Museum campus in Chicago tend to be a mistake. Cultural institutions can provide a needed boost to communities and to take advantage of their full potential should be dispersed throughout the city. Also, if all located together, the region tends to become isolated in off hours.

I agree with ElCentro. I'd rather see one major attraction here like an aquarium for the east side and maybe a huge entertainment complex for the pods/dome.

I don't understand, can you explain?

They could replace the current Cinesphere with a larger Cinesphere (as in taller, wider, and a larger diameter), so that it would hold two or more IMAX screens (depending on how large they decide to make the sphere). Not keeping the same frame.

Areas like Museum campus in Chicago tend to be a mistake. Cultural institutions can provide a needed boost to communities and to take advantage of their full potential should be dispersed throughout the city. Also, if all located together, the region tends to become isolated in off hours.

100% in agreement, thanks for that. It's not just Chicago other cities have similar areas ... I've been to quite a few of them (including Chicago) and while *mistake* particularly when they likely work out in terms of there intention - but it's not a good idea at all - I wouldn't say dispersed throughout the city, they need to be highly accessible - so throughout downtown. Maybe waterfront / Ontario place / old city hall area / so on..

Jane Jacobs criticized the "cultural zone" concept in planning as well. They tend to become isolated and dead when nothing is happening. Yet every American city seems to have one. Everything is very clean and polished and the architecture is sophisticated but it ends up feeling very contrived, sterile, and typically dead.

We also aspired to building something like that in the St. Lawrence area, hence the reason for all the demolition that happened there. Those disturbing photos of huge parking lots where Victorian blocks stood are quite memorable. In the end only the St. Lawrence Centre was built.

For me, the idea of more cultural institutions at the Ex interspersed with mixed-income high density housing, commercial, and light manufacturing (small scale luxury products that could attract curious visitors) is enticing. I'd also consider connecting every street from Liberty to the Ex, so that artists and businesses serving the institutions at the Ex could also find property at Liberty. As I said above, it would be difficult to pull off but there has to be more that could be done with the Ex grounds and it should be something that would keep it a unique place in Toronto that could draw a lot residents and tourists all year round.

William Thorsell mentioned some interest in developing a Cosmology Centre to highlight the important developments in that field. This could be a good location for such a centre.

I agree with the comments regarding an LRT line. More intensive transit is required - as is a hotel and other year-round events that can attract both locals and tourists. There is a critical mass of attractions and venues already in the area, what is required is better access and a sense of deeper connection to the rest of the city.

Back