So is this actually cancelled or what?

As we said on the front page, and have put in the dataBase file, yes, it's cancelled. What's the question?

there was never a specific project to speak of.
4 possibly genetic restaurants were hardly a "project" worthy of a thread on UT. We would need to wait for what the develop comes up with eventually.

Hardly worthy of a thread? So now proposals have to be 50 storeys high to merit a thread? That's not your call to make.

A paking lot it is

20 EDWARD ST
Ward 27 - Tor & E.York District

To obtain site plan approval for a surface commercial parking lot.
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Site Plan Approval 14 258807 STE 27 SA Dec 1, 2014 Under Review

fantastic, we will have a huge new parking lot downtown for at least the next three years!

fantastic, we will have a huge new parking lot downtown for at least the next three years!

Big deal, considering how many huge parking lots we've lost over the past 3 years (and besides, it's a mid-block lot, unlike the various high profile corner lots that got redeveloped). It will get filled in time, and we might get some different, decent architecture and land-use mix for a change.

AoD

There is a small amount of property tax payable by replacing the empty building with a parking lot.

Personally, they should have planted grass and made it into a dog park while waiting for the plans and permits. Except that they'll have to send in a hazmat crew to clean-up the sight when they are ready to being digging.

Last edited:
I'd rather them build a parking lot for the time being, than rush construction on some generic condo instead.

I think Lifetime knows they have an extremely valuable site here. It's a pretty big lot as well, they have the opportunity to make a architectural wonder in such a prime location.

There were countless opportunities all over downtown to make an architectural wonder. For the most part, that didn't happen.

I'd rather them build a parking lot for the time being, than rush construction on some generic condo instead.

I think Lifetime knows they have an extremely valuable site here. It's a pretty big lot as well, they have the opportunity to make a architectural wonder in such a prime location.

You are bang-on with that assessment Devon. They do know it.

Today:

15864445100_e4bfdf83fe_c.jpg

Way too abstract for me and wouldn't work in our climate either. Prefer Woodsward to this.

Last edited:
Way too abstract for me and wouldn't work in our climate either. Prefer Woodsward to this.

You missed the point. He did not say copy that Sydney building. He said build something original, which suggests something different than that picture but just as innovative. I agree, we should be leaders and not followers. People need to stop calling Toronto "The Creative City" until it starts acting like one and tries to be an innovator. We need to stop being so afraid of taking risks.

You missed the point. He did not say copy that Sydney building. He said build something original, which suggests something different than that picture but just as innovative. I agree, we should be leaders and not followers. People need to stop calling Toronto "The Creative City" until it starts acting like one and tries to be an innovator. We need to stop being so afraid of taking risks.
People call Toronto "The Creative City"? I've never heard that before.

We used to be very innovative. Just look at City Hall and CN Tower for examples of that. Not sure why that stopped.

I'll bet the creative aspect boils down to economics. Creativity comes at a cost, and we need some developers willing to spend the cash to produce something outside the typical boundaries. As it stands
there is no incentive to build creative condos, as they boring ones sell out anyway. There are a couple of commercial towers that show a little creativity, which is nice to see.

Back