from today
20110702061.jpg

20110702065.jpg

20110702082.jpg

20110702083.jpg

It is really a shame that there is not to be street level restaurants and/or cafes in these developments especially with there location across from the park.

It is really a shame that there is not to be street level restaurants and/or cafes in these developments especially with there location across from the park.

The entire Fort York Blvd frontage consists of Live/Work units. They can eventually become cafes.

The live-work units are so tiny though. And don't have that "retail look".

I think Concord was just scared to have the retail sitting empty while the area establishes itself. It's the PERFECT spot for retail in this development and they missed the boat.

I think Concord was just scared to have the retail sitting empty while the area establishes itself. It's the PERFECT spot for retail in this development and they missed the boat.

The city didn't want empty units, which is exactly what would have happened if they were built as retail only. The units are a decent size for a small cafe. If you can fit a spa/nail salon, real estate offices, and a company that imports products into those units, there is no reason why a cafe cannot open up in one, or a gallery. The demand for retail space in the area is the main problem. Just look how long it took for the non-bank units in the rest of Cityplace to get leased out.

as i always say... if your gonna do something, do it right............... none of us are perfect but we should all share that common goal

I wouldn't have minded having proper retail units there, even if they sat empty for awhile.

Live-work units are more suited to smaller streets, IMO.

I wouldn't have minded having proper retail units there, even if they sat empty for awhile.

Live-work units are more suited to smaller streets, IMO.

Fort York Boulevard isn't a large street. Its one lane each direction, with a bike lane on both sides. There are stop signs at every intersection, and the speed limit will be reduced to 40km/hour once the schools are built. There will already be plenty of traffic, and the retail that larger units would attract would only add to the congestion. The goal is to get small businesses in the spaces, not large chains. Give it time, and they will evolve.

Fort York Boulevard isn't a large street. Its one lane each direction, with a bike lane on both sides. There are stop signs at every intersection, and the speed limit will be reduced to 40km/hour once the schools are built. There will already be plenty of traffic, and the retail that larger units would attract would only add to the congestion. The goal is to get small businesses in the spaces, not large chains. Give it time, and they will evolve.

It will take some time for the growth of retail uses if there are in fact many units usable for small businesses as part of the development. Initially, empty retail spaces aren't entirely a reflection of demand, but the fact that new retail space is both more expensive than older buildings (making it less likely for to be chosen by many small business owners), and that residents tend to be fussy as to what they want at the bottom of their condominium. Plus, the ongoing construction dissuades people from visiting the area for shopping at smaller stores. With time, these issues may fade away.

The entire Fort York Blvd frontage consists of Live/Work units. They can eventually become cafes.

Really ? Are you sure, I thought commerical use wasn't allowed ?

I disagree with the comments above regarding the units being to small ... they're fine size for smaller cafes and that would be great here. NYCC has plenty of these.

Really ? Are you sure, I thought commerical use wasn't allowed ?

I disagree with the comments above regarding the units being to small ... they're fine size for smaller cafes and that would be great here. NYCC has plenty of these.

I live in Luna and the condo docs state you can use the ground units for commercial. The condo board has also installed signs on each ground unit so that third party signage can be applied in a consistent manner.

With the density as high as it's going to be, (after all of Cityplace is finished) those spaces would not stay empty for long. I think it's a huge mistake because they could have made that area much nicer with some well designed retail. It could have even been a destination but instead, it's just a suburban style neighbourhood, with tall buildings. Hopefully things will change in time. I also hope those TCHC buildings have retail or something to help animate the streets of Cityplace.

Forgive me for sounding like (gulp) Jacobs, but I would have liked to see adaptable spaces at ground level for these buildings. Something that could be either a condo, office, retail or cafe/restaurant and the spaces could be expanded into adjacent units if needed. I can't see the existing condos being used for anything but condos. Especially the raised ones. It looks like the designed them so they could only be used as condos.
Unfortunately this city is too angry about cars, bikes, streetcars and taxes for design issues to have discourse at city hall.

Back