Wouldn't a rule like that completely contradict the whole idea of public art? Isn't that like someone decreeing that all art should be impressionistic watercolour paintings that are hung only in certain galleries? That may be an extreme example, but it illustrates that you cannot set arbitrary (or even non-arbitrary) rules upon the definition of art and still call it "art".

Speaking of public art light displays, I wish they would turn on the little LED (?) lights that are sprinkled across the hillside west of the canoe.... They really turn an otherwise forgettable patch of grassy incline into a lively and whimsical complement to Coupland's kitsch

Thanks for reminding me! I wanted to find out why they have been turned off. I'll give you an answer as soon as I find out!

That would be great. Please work any connections you may have and get those little suckers back on!

Any news on this Tuscani? Its now June and they still haven't turned on those purdy li'l lights.

Noticed that yesterday night too. Going to have to followup!

They turned them on about a week ago. Here's a picture from June 30 ... Its about time! ...........................

5907735880_668fe59f55_b.jpg

Has anyone noticed the remnants of former buildings on the site closest to Bathurst? It is presently being excavated and I was curious as to what their (city and cityplace) plans are regarding preserving it? I have a suspicion that this is going to go like all other archeological sites in the city; dug up, photographed and catalogued, a few bits saved for posterity's sake.

As a general comment on cityplace; what an overall waste of space. I have never really commented on my distaste for it, but after riding through it the other night and finally experiencing that poor excuse for a park by Douglas Coupland - I think they only forgot one thing - massive 20' fences lining the perimeter to keep out the city. This area is more reminiscent of a suburb than city and should be renamed "suburbplace". I am sure that this has all be said before, just wanted to voice my opinions after spending 15 minutes in the area and feeling like I am in a rather desolate, lifeless, soulless space.

p5

After riding through CityPlace the other night I just wanted to voice my opinions after spending 15 minutes in the area and feeling like I am in a rather desolate, lifeless, soulless space.

Well after spending 15 minutes riding through it, I'm sure you're more than qualified to judge.

Well after spending 15 minutes riding through it, I'm sure you're more than qualified to judge.

I guess 15 minutes in Cityplace is too much for anyone on this forum to take without hurling! lol!

But really, it's good to have some dead areas within the downtown core, everywhere else is so bustling, it's good to have a place and go make out with your honey without having anyone else watching what your up too. - I guess depending on the time of night you can make out anywhere... But you understand that quiet places are appreciated too!

/\ Uhhh, riiight...

As a general comment on cityplace; what an overall waste of space. I have never really commented on my distaste for it, but after riding through it the other night and finally experiencing that poor excuse for a park by Douglas Coupland - I think they only forgot one thing - massive 20' fences lining the perimeter to keep out the city. This area is more reminiscent of a suburb than city and should be renamed "suburbplace". I am sure that this has all be said before, just wanted to voice my opinions after spending 15 minutes in the area and feeling like I am in a rather desolate, lifeless, soulless space.p5

Care to qualify your 'Suburbplace' moniker? I can't think of anyplace in the suburbs where a 15+ tower neighbourhood is just springing up. And if you go for the easy 'Downtown Markham' scapegoat, I'll remind you that those buildings are less than half the size of those down at CP.

I'm not arguing that Cityplace is particularly successful or is, for that matter, a complete failure, nor am I saying that tall buildings an urban neighbourhood make. It just seems like strained hyperbole to call something 'suburban' when referring to one of the densest new developments in the country.

Any pictures of the live work units facing the park ?

I guess 15 minutes in Cityplace is too much for anyone on this forum to take without hurling! lol!

But really, it's good to have some dead areas within the downtown core, everywhere else is so bustling, it's good to have a place and go make out with your honey without having anyone else watching what your up too. - I guess depending on the time of night you can make out anywhere... But you understand that quiet places are appreciated too!

After spending a year in Vancouver, I understand the importance of quiet spaces in downtowns. They should however be integrating these quieter areas as little 'nooks' among a more vibrant street life. It's a waste of money and space, especially near downtown, to have areas that are nearly unoccupied at times. I'm glad to hear there are provisions for commercial units at street level. The inclusion of more shops would make for a much more livable area. I believe it was the same developer that integrated shops into the podium of the False Creek development in Vancouver. That had to do more with local bylaws encouraging mixed-use neighbourhoods. It's too bad that Toronto's planning policy still doesn't fully favour the development of diverse, livable neighbourhoods.

Has anyone noticed the remnants of former buildings on the site closest to Bathurst? It is presently being excavated and I was curious as to what their (city and cityplace) plans are regarding preserving it? I have a suspicion that this is going to go like all other archeological sites in the city; dug up, photographed and catalogued, a few bits saved for posterity's sake.

As a general comment on cityplace; what an overall waste of space. I have never really commented on my distaste for it, but after riding through it the other night and finally experiencing that poor excuse for a park by Douglas Coupland - I think they only forgot one thing - massive 20' fences lining the perimeter to keep out the city. This area is more reminiscent of a suburb than city and should be renamed "suburbplace". I am sure that this has all be said before, just wanted to voice my opinions after spending 15 minutes in the area and feeling like I am in a rather desolate, lifeless, soulless space.

p5

I was at the park this late afternoon. This is what was going on in the park:
- about 20 guys enjoying soccer on the artificial turf
- 6 women sharing the turf doing stretches/yoga/aerobics
- a couple of kids practicing football in full uniform
- another small group playing soccer
- the usual group of dogs and owners
- other people sprinkled around the park (with kids, babies, couples, etc.)

All in all, there are about 60-70 people in the park enjoying various activities. Where else in downtown Toronto can you witness this? So I don't know what this dude is talking about...soulless lifeless???

I have spent more than just the 15 minutes in there to know what I am talking about. I could care less about the rest of all the bs amenities that the condos have to offer; parking, gyms etc. access to private party rooms..

Cal - I do agree with you on that front, but I gotta say, its not so much that its dead at night, relieving you from prying eyes, but dead all around. Its pretty car-centric, and well, soul-less. No cafe's, no retail other than a couple banks and a sobey's..Rather disconnected from the city.

p5

I've walked through the Cityplace area as well and found it somewhat barren and having a uninspiring street life too. Not the most exciting stretch of blocks in this city.

I have walked through it a few times as well. It feels very suburban to me, like I'm in a park in Mississauga, just with a different view. I feel like if I had some options right beside the park for snack foods, ice cream, coffee, it would make a huge difference. Maybe when the other buildings around it are finished, there will be some more options.

I absolutely agree! The missing ingredient here is retail. Liberty village which has incorporated some retail seems to have much better street presence. So I am hopefully they will address this at some point. I thought I remembered reading that there would be some retail at parade but I don't think whats been built (looks like residential units on the main floor) at the podium supports this. Does anyone know?

All in all, there are about 60-70 people in the park enjoying various activities. Where else in downtown Toronto can you witness this? So I don't know what this dude is talking about...soulless lifeless???

Well, 70 people in the park is good - but I am not commenting so much on the park as being lifeless, but the space that these buildings occupy. Just to your point however, I am not sure if you have been to other parks in the city, but they tend to be rather full of people partaking in different activities: Trinity Bellwoods or Victoria Memorial Park come to mind, but I digress.

I do realize that my comments sound potentially inciting, but I honestly feel that this site is a rather large failure. A dense cluster of 15 towers does not make an area urban, nor does it make for a lively space. There is truly nothing pulling these people out of their buildings and out onto the streets below. The 'suburbanplace' moniker, is in reference to the total disconnect of the residents to their surroundings. Yes, its a collection of towers which is very dense, but its the make up of these components that make it suburban. Something is not necessarily urban because it is a tower, nor because it is dense. Its everything in-between that does make it urban however - the walkability of things, the proximity to amenities, the people and how they perceive and use the surroundings.

p5

Last edited:
I tend to agree with your comments on this, although I think it is too early yet to consider it a 'failure'; after all, it has only been a few years since this area was an abandoned railroad yard. Also I'm not exactly sure what they have failed at really, they could not have possibly conceived this mass of point towers to be an extension of the downtown, nor expected it to be a diverse neighbourhood being 95% condos units priced for a certain income bracket with a few small retail businesses to serve the occupants. It is a highrise community, a sort of first tier highrise suburbia at the edge of the downtown. I've been referring to it as a 'campus' since it is self-serving and has a contained kind of feel to it, not to mention a rather bland uniformity.

Back