I totally agree that Parade looks really dull from the outside.
KPF is known for producing large-scaled office/commercial buildings, so this is no surprise.
The coloured lights on the top floor looks really cheap in person. They simply installed blue flourescent bulbs in the mechanical floor and called it a day -- definitely seems like an afterthought with no element of design. At night it looks like an empty 80's night club (borderline strip club). They should have at least frosted the glass so that you don't see the inside of the mechanical room and it will appear glowing rather than a harsh bright light.

Next door at Luna they at least lit and treated selected glass panels on the top of their building which looks more thought out and more refined.

I totally agree that Parade looks really dull from the outside.
KPF is known for producing large-scaled office/commercial buildings, so this is no surprise.
The coloured lights on the top floor looks really cheap in person. They simply installed blue flourescent bulbs in the mechanical floor and called it a day -- definitely seems like an afterthought with no element of design. At night it looks like an empty 80's night club (borderline strip club). They should have at least frosted the glass so that you don't see the inside of the mechanical room and it will appear glowing rather than a harsh bright light.

Next door at Luna they at least lit and treated selected glass panels on the top of their building which looks more thought out and more refined.

I agree which is a shame because this is an absolutely massive complex with some design elements that should have made it a jewel for the city. Instead it seems to be something that should be built in the shadows of Mordor with big black winged beasts circling it. Its just so oppressive.

...having said that, it still captures my curiosity and I can't help looking up at it every time I go by and picture the finished product with that crazy sky-bridge.

during sunrise this morning...

6056038743_cd2490174b_b.jpg

since Parade 2 (cylinder tower) will be taller than Parade 1 (square tower), I sure feel bad for whomever lives in those east facing units in Parade 2 which look DIRECTLY into the bright neon blue mechancial box of Parade 1 ~

since Parade 2 (cylinder tower) will be taller than Parade 1 (square tower), I sure feel bad for whomever lives in those east facing units in Parade 2 which look DIRECTLY into the bright neon blue mechancial box of Parade 1 ~

Don't feel too bad. I'm sure this was priced into the cost of their suites as anything else would be. There are only so many "good" suites in a condo and the rest are "dog" suites.

Second to last tower crane comes down.

Pics taken August 17, 2011

Set-up day before.

lWPy3.jpg

t0tAD.jpg

DjUsR.jpg

UCIwH.jpg

Pics taken August 18, 2011

Fwg3u.jpg

XRjYX.jpg

SPVTM.jpg

CLJDb.jpg

UNkL0.jpg

E6Uhr.jpg

fGSIo.jpg

ZpTcn.jpg

HLyIN.jpg

^^^ Great set of photos!

Always wondered how tower cranes came down. Now what if it's a 70 story building. What if it's the crane at the top of the four seasons? Helicopter?

a helicopter is one option though it is hardly ever used because of the extreme expense / ease of using other methods. One other method is to erect a small jib crane on the roof and use it to dissasemble and lower pieces of the large construction crane to the ground...

Aug 19
Never noticed until now that the crane is gone, but being expecting it for sometime. Doing more shooting on the bridge than the buildings today.
6062438149_f6f6ce8306_b.jpg

6062985014_e1be6f001b_b.jpg

6062284973_feed1d99be_b.jpg

6062270639_f85214b520_b.jpg

6062269269_639e25bde0_b.jpg

Will they start building SkyBridge on the ground before next June and then hoist it into position? Will they put the rest of the glass on Parade 2 and just leave a big hole for SkyBridge?

Back