The Toronto Development Application submitted Architectural Plans would have been from 10 years ago! I recall seeing it and all the ground floor retail space was at that time one large chunk just under 30,000sqft - perfect for an urban grocer.
- The 2015 OMB hearing refers to an un-named green-grocer supermarket with pharmacy (rumoured to be Sobey's)
- in 2017, sales office hinted selling off the entire retail space - in which case they would gain the most per sqft by subdividing into as small units as possible - thus, here come more Bubble Tea Shops, Cell Phone Stores and Asian Noddle Places! Some of the post of building model show main supermarket door concept while other shows many small retail doors concept
- Today's news of Sobey's parent company Empire buying Longo's make it almost impossible for a Sobeys to open here with a 2 year old Longo's at nearby RioCan Yonge-Sheppard Centre. This in addition to a 5.5 year old WholeFoodsMarket at HullmarkCenter and empty standard size supermarket space at EmeraldPark. Thus, really an over-supply of supermarket space locally and many are never very busy since they cater to general non-ethnic segment of marketplace.

Of course, if an Chinese supermarket were to step up to serve the 25% Chinese demographic in the area,... the issue would be on-site parking since ethnic supermarkets would need to draw customers from larger catchment area.

Anyway,... at this point best way to see ground floor layout would be to wait 6 months or so for them to reach ground level and see how they pour the retail walls and set up retail doorways.
Thanks Sunny, that was helpful and disappoint at the same time. I would also guess Sobeys is out the window based on the possible buyout of Longos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Sunny, that was helpful and disappoint at the same time. I would also guess Sobeys is out the window based on the possible buyout of Longos.

Even if Empire/Sobeys acquisition of Longos don't go through,... it's still very tough to justify another mainstream supermarket at this location given the close proximity of 2 year old Longo's, 6 year old WholeFoodsMarket, Loblaws, Metro, ShoppersDrugMarts with food, etc,... especially since none of these are ever really packed with customers.

Most locals, especially from surrounding house areas are more like - I'll load my car full of grocery elsewhere but will drop by here in between when I run out of something.

While T&T has been interested in the area,... this retail space is likely too small and parking is turn off as well. The Korean Galleria Supermarket on Yonge north of Steeles will likely lose that location in a few years due to redevelopment - this retail size might be more suitable for them but they would need better parking as well. Parking tend to be the main deal breaker on supermarket space around North York Centre - that's why EmeraldPark supermarket space remains empty 6 years later.

Thus, more than likely - the retail space here will be partitioned off into smallest possible retail units to maximize dollar per sqft returns,.... and we'll end up with more Bubble Tea shop, more cell phone stores and more Asian Noodle Places.

IMG_1722.JPG
IMG_1723.JPG

Does anybody know how many parking spaces they have?
https://pearlplacecondos.ca/

From what i see...... "There will be a total of 622 parking spaces in a 5 level of underground parking. 431 spaces will be for residents, 43 spaces for residential visitors, 108 for commercial parking spaces and 40 parking spaces for the Royal Canadian Legion hall located on 6 Spring Garden Avenue. There will also be 431 bicycle spaces on all levels in the underground parking."

At this rate, I wonder if they will actually be able to start occupancy late 2022... Any thoughts?
No - late 2023 earliest

Seems likely to complete ground level late Summer or Fall,... then 1.5 month per customized podium floors hitting this year end. Then assuming they use Flying Table it’ll 1.5 weeks per floor - top off hitting year end 2022 if lucky but huge floor plates,.... add another 6 months for interior to catch up,..... late 2023 at earliest

Back