News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

A lot of the Asian airlines also fly out of T3, especially those with infrequent flights. Personally, I find T3 to be an unfortunate experience but particularly as an arrival experience.
From a UPX rider perspective, T3 isn't a fun terminal to depart at, either.

(You have to transfer to LINK just to reach T3)

I am not disputing the fact that T1 is a superior terminal...and that most would prefer to be there.....but the characterization of T3 as a low cost/charter terminal is just plain wrong.....I gave a short (6) carrier list of examples that prove that wrong....there are a whole bunch of other full service, full fare, airlines I could have added.

Fair enough. I'm not saying that GTAA does view T3 as the inferior terminal just that it appears that way, and the movement of Sunwing to T3 supports that.

the very denition of 1st world problems?
Right, but it is one extra item of further devaluation to poor 'ol T3.

Unrelated, but, I miss T2 as a kid -- it exterior overhanging brutalist concrete reminded me of the Washington DC Metro which I used with my dad when he worked in the Canadian Embassy -- T2 was very quick to enter and exit, relatively speaking, compared to today's post 9/11 T1 or T3. Though T2 is way too tiny for modern air traffic.

Fair enough. I'm not saying that GTAA does view T3 as the inferior terminal just that it appears that way, and the movement of Sunwing to T3 supports that.
and I think it probably has more to do with new(er) airlines moving into 1.....didn't Brussels Airlines just start flying there recently?

Canada has, what, 3 "major" charter/deep discount airlines....two of them fly out of 3 and one them flies out of 1.

It is true to say/perceive that 1 is dominated by Air Canada and it's related/partner airlines....and 3 is a collection of others that include some of the largest international, full service carriers, along with some charters.....I think that is about all you can say.

Brussels is Star Alliance, and indeed part-owned by Lufthansa -- with whom Air Canada has a revenue-neutral joint venture. So it would be very surprising to see it go to T3.

I agree T3 is really not what it once was. You do have to wonder how quite self-consciously 'premium' airlines like British Airways, Air France and Cathay Pacific feel about being in such a drastically less appealing facility. I do expect this will be in some way addressed via the next round of T1 expansion -- perhaps that will allow full-service T3 carriers to migrate, leaving it for charters and less deep-pocketed foreign airlines.

In particular, you'd have to think Westjet/AA/BA/Cathay would together have the heft to push for a unified 'virtual hub'-style facility in an enlarged T1.

I flew out of T3 for the first time a month ago. It is quite unappealing. I have a rather long lists of airports I prefer to it.

I flew out of T3 for the first time a month ago. It is quite unappealing. I have a rather long lists of airports I prefer to it.

They are supposed to be in the process of "refreshing it", but it's one of those terminals that had been added to probably too many times.

It's funny how this is at one point the best Toronto has to offer. Did anyone know what happened to the mechanical clock/sculpture on departure level? Is it even around?

AoD

It's funny how this is at one point the best Toronto has to offer. Did anyone know what happened to the mechanical clock/sculpture on departure level? Is it even around?
What happened to T3 as a shopping destination in it's own right. Where's the Harrods? When it opened it was described as a shopping mall with 24 gates.

Gosh, hard to believe it's been around a quarter-century! Seemed so modern compared to T1 and T2 when it opened. Though T2 seemed endless and modern when it opened.

What happened to T3 as a shopping destination in it's own right. Where's the Harrods? When it opened it was described as a shopping mall with 24 gates.

Gosh, hard to believe it's been around a quarter-century! Seemed so modern compared to T1 and T2 when it opened. Though T2 seemed endless and modern when it opened.

You meant T1? I don't recall T2 being described in any glowing terms at any point in time - it's always been a bit of a stop gap.

AoD

One of the things that happened was, I would guess, 9/11.

A lot of that shopping (including the Harrods) was before security.....one of the side effects of the growth of terrorism on air travel is that there is an almighty rush to get through security....so terminals are being designed (and redesigned) to have more of the spending/shopping opportunities after you get through security.

T3 was built at a time when the thinking was "have the shopping before security then, both, passengers and dropper offers can shop and you can catch both markets".

Generally what has happened to T3 (IMO) is time....it is older than we think of it and it has aged.

The refresh work at T3 is pretty substantial. It shouldn't be an ugly ducking like it is now.

Back