News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I thought T2 was originally supposed to be a cargo terminal but was converted into a passenger terminal.

I thought T2 was originally supposed to be a cargo terminal but was converted into a passenger terminal.
I can't believe there's anything to that. From day one, it looked like a bog-standard 1970s passenger terminal. You wouldn't have built it anything like that if it was going to be cargo.

And if it was going to be cargo, where would they have landed 747s?

Terminal 2 being originally designed as a cargo terminal is a factoid in the original sense of the word (information which isn't a fact, but gets repeated and printed often enough that it is widely believed to be fact). Simply a story from the time, likely due in part to the relatively low ceilings and lack of any architectural flair or ambition.

Three new restaurants from global restaurateur HMSHost will soon open for travellers to enjoy at Toronto Pearson International Airport. HMSHost was awarded an 8-year contract valued at more than $57 million (CAD) to operate these new spaces in Terminal 3’s revamped Domestic/International departures area. The contract brings new local and nationally recognizable brands to Toronto travellers. HMSHost partnered locally with Smoke’s Burritorie and nationally with the Innovated Restaurant Group on Shanghai 360 and with Smashburger to create a well-balanced dining offering for travellers to enjoy. The three new restaurants are scheduled to open summer 2016.

http://www.hmshost.com/news/details...son-international-airport-restaurant-contract

With Pearson handling over 40 million passengers, does anyone know when pier G will be built at terminal 1? That airport is becoming busier every time I fly in and out.

With Pearson handling over 40 million passengers, does anyone know when pier G will be built at terminal 1? That airport is becoming busier every time I fly in and out.

There has been no word from the GTAA. Currently they are working on a terminal refurbishment (link) which the T1 portion is scheduled for completion in 2019, and the T3 portion in 2017. I would imagine they would wait for the construction on t3 to be complete before moving on to Pier G (and possibly after construction at T1) for the sake of multiple construction projects and resulting closures.

Also the trend in recent years has been to move to larger capacity planes at Pearson and so that has reduced the need for a new pier.

Short answer. It won't be in the next 18 months but it will likely be in the next 5 years.

Piers and gates are about handling the aircraft count and doesn't really correlate with passengers at all. A 400 seat 777 requires a gate for about 1.5 hours; and a 37 seat Dash 8 requires a gate for 45 minutes. Smaller aircraft jumps, like swapping a 319 for a 321, increases capacity by about 40% and has very little impact on the time tables.

Terminal aircraft movements, about the only proxy we have for determining gate usage, is increasing at about 1% per year.

http://www.torontopearson.com/uploa..._GTAA/Statistics/Feb2016_AircraftMovement.pdf

Piers and gates are about handling the aircraft count and doesn't really correlate with passengers at all. A 400 seat 777 requires a gate for about 1.5 hours; and a 37 seat Dash 8 requires a gate for 45 minutes. Smaller aircraft jumps, like swapping a 319 for a 321, increases capacity by about 40% and has very little impact on the time tables.

Terminal aircraft movements, about the only proxy we have for determining gate usage, is increasing at about 1% per year.

http://www.torontopearson.com/uploa..._GTAA/Statistics/Feb2016_AircraftMovement.pdf

Thanks for that. I was thinking of the Air Canada's fleet plan too. The E190s are going in favour of (much larger) B737s and the new B787s have been in addition to the B767 fleet not a replacement for it. With Air Canada's push to make Toronto into a hub for its international network, the need for a US/ Canada trans-border pier (which was the original rationale for pier G) must be becoming more necessary.

Additionally, the hammerhead F is packed at the hammerhead itself. AC Rouge has all those additional international boardings to Europe. Something has to go. They need the space on the F pier for international,and additionally the (tiny, cramped )interim cross border terminal space is made of steel beams and sheeting. Not a great welcome to a great (world class) city.

Last edited:

To me I find this a bit logically odd. While yes one airline requires only one gate, the actual volume of the terminal can only hold so many people. For example as more 777's pick up and drop off 400 passengers vs a 737 with 180 passengers the terminal lounge areas, security screening, and waiting areas start to get overwhelmed.

To me I find this a bit logically odd. While yes one airline requires only one gate, the actual volume of the terminal can only hold so many people. For example as more 777's pick up and drop off 400 passengers vs a 737 with 180 passengers the terminal lounge areas, security screening, and waiting areas start to get overwhelmed.

To anyone who travels regularly it is apparent that you are correct. The terminal is much more full, hence my question about Pier G.

To anyone who travels regularly it is apparent that you are correct. The terminal is much more full, hence my question about Pier G.

Yes, and Pier G would certainly simplify the need for swing gates that alternate between USA and International flights by allowing all US flights to be located in the one pier. By opening up the arm of Pier F to the Hammerhead it would also make it appear much more roomier.

My biggest criticism of F has been that they have stuffed it full of retail and left little room for the actual passengers. There are bars now on the outer perimeter of the terminal, where there would normally be seats for passengers waiting for their flight. I don't fly very often however when I flew out of F in 2009 it seemed more spacious than when I next flew out of F in 2015, and the only thing I can see different is the retail.

There really should be enough lounge seating in the terminal near gates to hold all the passengers ready to board a flight, plus a buffer to allow for carry on baggage, and the natural human preference to not sit in close proximity to a stranger. So in the example of at 400 seat 777 we are talking about 400 plus seats in the terminal. Some seats can be shared between adjacent gates given that not every passenger will be waiting at the gate all the time and not every gate is in use at the same time. But I digress.

Yes, and Pier G would certainly simplify the need for swing gates that alternate between USA and International flights by allowing all US flights to be located in the one pier. By opening up the arm of Pier F to the Hammerhead it would also make it appear much more roomier.

My biggest criticism of F has been that they have stuffed it full of retail and left little room for the actual passengers. There are bars now on the outer perimeter of the terminal, where there would normally be seats for passengers waiting for their flight. I don't fly very often however when I flew out of F in 2009 it seemed more spacious than when I next flew out of F in 2015, and the only thing I can see different is the retail.

There really should be enough lounge seating in the terminal near gates to hold all the passengers ready to board a flight, plus a buffer to allow for carry on baggage, and the natural human preference to not sit in close proximity to a stranger. So in the example of at 400 seat 777 we are talking about 400 plus seats in the terminal. Some seats can be shared between adjacent gates given that not every passenger will be waiting at the gate all the time and not every gate is in use at the same time. But I digress.

The retail jammed in and the lck of bench seating throughout T1 is very disapointing and I don't like waiting prior to a flight any longer. You are 100% correct. I have not seen this level of greed or stupidity anywhere else in the world and I do a lot of flying. I don't need an iPad anchored to a table in front of me to wait for a plane.

Back