Why do you keep bringing up zoning? Did I argue that those people should be allowed to break the law? Even the clubs operating within all legal restrictions will be targeted. Prosecute the inconsiderate morons on the street to your hearts content, I certainly do not identify with them.

I didn't bring up zoning. As was noted on an earlier post, club owners typically don't own the buildings. If the owner wants to sell, then they sell - regardless of whether the building houses a club or not. That is what has been happening in the ED for years and will likely continue for a while longer. It is the case for this project (not a club, but a supper club was demolished) and the recent nearby Peter Street development.

Um yes that's exactly what I'm saying. Most of those frats and sororities were established in the 1800's and early 1900's. Are you suggesting most residents in the Annex are upwards of 100 years old? (I was never in a frat, nor did I consider joining one).

A couple of points: first, an overwhelming minority of the houses in the Annex house frats and sororities. The overwhelming majority are residences that are not frats or sororities. Second, do you know any frat members who have been residents of the Annex frat houses for 100 years? No, of course not. They stay for what, four years? And they're off and replaced by new students - some of whom think that the neighbours only have to put up with their excesses for just four years. Third, are you aware of any laws that grant members of frats and sororities some sort of special right or gardfathered law that provides them a special exception to create excessive disturbances to their neighbours? It might come as a surprise to you, but the frats and sororities do not predate the residential neighbourhood. I think what you are looking for in both instances (ED and Annex) is an excuse. You haven't found one.

You keep acting as if I'm advocating for a bunch of lawlessness.

You have suggested that clubs came first in the ED, and that residents must put up with the excesses. There were residences in that part of the city before there were the warehouses and commercial buildings that are now being demolished to make way for new residences. Clubs or club patrons, don't get special rights. The same for the Annex and frats. Students don't get to exceed bylaws and to do as they please because their frat house has some history.

Yes I'm a student (PhD track) and I do occasionally go to bars/clubs. I don't see why my personal life should be of any concern however.

It wasn't an accusation, but an observation.

EDIT: I'll leave it there as I don't think we're going to progress anywhere

That's fine with me.

A different angle:

328_adelaide_2_lr.jpg

From http://www.relianceconstruction.com/home/

Great perspective on that last shot, having all three of those projects lined up. The parking lot in the mid-ground of that photo is owned by Great Lands Corp and is ripe for development. I wonder if they'll try to launch it asap to take advantage of the (still) hot market or hold on to it for long term plans.

The area has a ton of office space especially when you include what many refer to as class I space. It needs more residential. The office building beside Peter Street Condos easily has twice as many workers as Peter Street will have residents. The 700,000 square foot allied proposal is worth a dozen Entertainment District condo towers.

The area has a ton of office space especially when you include what many refer to as class I space. It needs more residential. The office building beside Peter Street Condos easily has twice as many workers as Peter Street will have residents. The 700,000 square foot allied proposal is worth a dozen Entertainment District condo towers.

has Allied officially moved forward with this yet?

They are moving forward with something. There is supposed to be a community meeting in the coming months regarding this project.

Its very long term ... no mater what they tell you ...

Think of QRC, they've been marketing that for a long time now and still haven't found a lead tenant, though they have started construction. Will really they're just doing the restoration now.

This proposal is much larder. I'm thinking this is the sort of thing that could potentially go ahead in 5/10+ years.

Think of QRC, they've been marketing that for a long time now and still haven't found a lead tenant, though they have started construction. Will really they're just doing the restoration now.

This proposal is much larder. I'm thinking this is the sort of thing that could potentially go ahead in 5/10+ years.
Now Stop it taal, with all that doom and gloom:eek::D

That's why I said they are moving ahead with "something." There isn't anything specific as of yet - although Allied has been quite directly involved with the city, the neighbouring buildings and the new development on Charlotte in an effort to examine how to make the rebuilt block work effectively. It's obvious that they must have a clear plan in place before they can proceed with the leasing of that kind of space.

You may recall that Allied went through similar motions with 544 King Street West, proceeding to the community, Committee of Adjustments and finally the OMB for that site. It likely won't be starting in the next three years.

Now Stop it taal, with all that doom and gloom:eek::D

:p I always speak the truth ; ).

But either way, I agree with the general sentiment more office space is ideal. As some of mentioned there is quite a bit in the area, let's save new office development for East Bayfront, it'll need all the help it can get !

Back