These developments add some great depth to the Queen st. experience. Layers the city nicely, allowing its density to appear more clearly.

I love seeing Victorian commercial streetscapes intact with beautiful new towers going up in the blocks behind them. The Victorian buildings along Queen Street should be preserved and restored.

I love seeing Victorian commercial streetscapes intact with beautiful new towers going up in the blocks behind them. The Victorian buildings along Queen Street should be preserved and restored.

Hell, I don't even think they should be restored. The gritty, dirty facades remind me of a much less-booming and grittier Toronto of a time not too long ago. In a way, I kinda miss the sketchiness

Hell, I don't even think they should be restored. The gritty, dirty facades remind me of a much less-booming and grittier Toronto of a time not too long ago. In a way, I kinda miss the sketchiness

Scarborough ain't so far away.

That's an interesting point. Unfortunately, if restoration doesn't happen, the facades will fall apart.

That's an interesting point. Unfortunately, if restoration doesn't happen, the facades will fall apart.

They are not at that point of decay yet. I personally agree with Gotzvan, it gives personality. queen street is perfect the way it is. Maybe in another decade, but when things are restored I must admit they loose a lot of their charm in my opinion. I understand that it needs to happen so that they dont completely crumble etc. but too clean is weird. Queen street is good as is. I do agree that there are many stretches of Yonge street that are at the point where restoration is needed though.

also... scarborough sketchiness is not the same. There is a difference between "charming grit" and "ghetto blah"

I'm pretty sure the people who live work and play on queen west are the ones who would want it to keep its character. Myself included. Picasso really adds to queen st don't get me wrong. But queen street is cool for a reason, it's character.

They are not at that point of decay yet. I personally agree with Gotzvan, it gives personality. queen street is perfect the way it is. Maybe in another decade, but when things are restored I must admit they loose a lot of their charm in my opinion. I understand that it needs to happen so that they dont completely crumble etc. but too clean is weird. Queen street is good as is. I do agree that there are many stretches of Yonge street that are at the point where restoration is needed though.

also... scarborough sketchiness is not the same. There is a difference between "charming grit" and "ghetto blah"

These buildings have already had many architectural features removed because of deterioration--cornices, terracotta tiles, balustrades, turrets, ironwork and lead glass for instance. Without restoration, everything falls apart. When it's in bad shape, people are more inclined to demolish it. Most buildings regain their charm with restoration, like the Dineen Building or the buildings on Market Street.

bHgtz3G.jpg

Last edited:
Based on the renderings & the small part of the exterior that's gone up already in the photo above, I'm pretty sure this will be my favourite tower in Toronto. I just love the idea that it's not all glass and has some colour.

This is going to look really funky and cool. The colours are really clean and vibrant, and it'll add a great layer to Queen St.

I hope they used materials whose colours will withstand the elements, though.

Back