Murray Goldman laughed ruefully when telling us how much more this building was costing him than the average one he's built, but he wants to leave a legacy here, so that's what you gotta do…

And by "costing him more" he means "making less of a massive profit". At the end of the day he will still be making an absolute killing here. $$$

That said, I recognize it's a bigger risk to create a project when it does not offer something that most purchasers expect these days - floor-to-ceiling glazing across the entire unit.

I'm very thankful for Stephen Teeple for providing this architecture student with some great inspiration. Toronto doesn't need to be all-glass. I'm excited that an architect from his generation is trying something really different.

Last edited:
Curious though, what element of this project accounts for the extra cost ? I'd think less window wall should actually make this cheaper compared to say King Charlotte / Tablue ?

Curious though, what element of this project accounts for the extra cost ? I'd think less window wall should actually make this cheaper compared to say King Charlotte / Tablue ?

King Charlotte is curtain wall. I don't think there is anything cheaper than window wall with back painted glass spandrel. These look like some sort of aluminium composite panels.

Last edited:
And by "costing him more" he means "making less of a massive profit". At the end of the day he will still be making an absolute killing here. $$$

That said, I recognize it's a bigger risk to create a project when it does not offer something that most purchasers expect these days - floor-to-ceiling glazing across the entire unit.

I'm very thankful for Stephen Teeple for providing this architecture student with some great inspiration. Toronto doesn't need to be all-glass. I'm excited that an architect from his generation is trying something really different.

Define massive profit. Keep in mind we aren't dealing with regular dollar values when costs are in the tens to hundreds of millions of dollars.

I expect he's making $50 million plus. Anyways, it looks almost like lego
0wLhhn6.jpg

I think this building would have looked much better if they had used black, instead of dark grey. The contrast would have been more dramatic and interesting.

To answer the question above, I would imagine the structure itself is what accounts for a large deal of the extra front-end costs for this project as there is variation in the floorplates. I'm not clear on what the cladding/envelope system is at this point but that could also account for more costly construction.

Absolute killing? Does that approach UD's number of $50 Million? I take it you two have gone over the numbers?

What percentage of this building is Goldman and what percentage is Monarch?

^ That is precisely what I'm worried about. The matte look doesn't usually last very long. Have they addressed this issue somehow?

Picasso as of December 2014
WP_20141204_005.jpg
WP_20141204_008.jpg
WP_20141204_009.jpg
WP_20141204_012.jpg
WP_20141204_015.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20141204_005.jpg
    WP_20141204_005.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 662
  • WP_20141204_008.jpg
    WP_20141204_008.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 669
  • WP_20141204_009.jpg
    WP_20141204_009.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 678
  • WP_20141204_012.jpg
    WP_20141204_012.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 823
  • WP_20141204_015.jpg
    WP_20141204_015.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 662
More.

That RED!!! When I saw it in person I had to pause for a moment just to appreciate that a developer was actually taking a risk. The dark parts stand out nicely against the white, and it all looks to be high quality. This just became my new favourite project. I can't wait to see this tower of Lego in the sky.

Back