Just goes to show you that you can build an extremely functional commericial building and not have it look like it belongs in a Markham office park (*cough* Corus *cough*).

I heard a representative of Filmport talk on the radio about the project. He was pleased that the building was both function and interesting aesthetically. Apparently there are spaces for film viewings and many other public features (beyond the use of the building for commercial offices).

So many assumptions. We don't know how well it will function yet because it hasn't been built and occupied. The shiny, blobby thing looks like the Corus bean, though there are no wormy walkways in evidence - instead, curved screens and projection holes. I don't think every interesting building has to be in the core, any more than places in the 905 should be dismissed as places unworthy of good design.

how can Miller boast Jack Diamond as on the same level of appeal as Alsop?!?!?! that drives me so mad. for me, i'm serious when i say Miller has lost a lot of points just for saying that... Diamond should be banned from doing more projects in this city and four seasons should really be torn down for its north/east/south sides. meanwhile, i'm sooooo looking forward to seeing the Alsop building @filmport.

And Alsop is worthy of praise? OCAD and this piece of rotting cheese are brutal.

As far as I know OCAD's Sharp Centre is all paid up, works very well for the students, and is a huge PR success for the College, which is now thinking of expanding.

Well, it's certainly an Alsop building, isn't it? At first, wasn't quite sure what to make of it, a bit of a let-down that it wasn't on the same monumental scale as the Cloud....but it will definitely be a unique piece of architecture for T.O.

Just noticed the long red carpet running from the limo to the 'blob' portion, which, I take it, is the entrance. Nice touch.

11 storeys?

Should be interesting to see what Hume has to say. Somehow the curve on the red side reminds me of AGO.

I like it.

Oh my.

It's different. It's an Alsop. It's no Jack Diamond.

I'm not sure if I like it, but it sure will be iconic.

how is this building oriented? is the curtain wall facing the lake to get a better view or is it looking out north? or is it the perforated facade that's facing south or west to maintain heat gain to a minimum?

one thing is certain...it's really going to stand out, with that red material, whatever it may be.

I like it, but I'm not sure why they compared it to the cloud...the two are absolutely nothing alike.

Perhaps there's something more to be announced?

What worries me about the 'cloud' is that unless top-notch materials are used, it will look like crap. This design, while still unique and interesting, is a lot more realistic and doable.

What worries me about the 'cloud' is that unless top-notch materials are used, it will look like crap. This design, while still unique and interesting, is a lot more realistic and doable.

I don't think it has the iconic quality of the Cloud, but it should be an interesting addition to Filmport.

This is fantastic. Kind of reminds me of Hotel du Departement des Bouches-du-Rhone in a mid rise sort of way.

arcnows.jpg

Back