I like it, but I'm not sure why they compared it to the cloud...the two are absolutely nothing alike.

Perhaps there's something more to be announced?

he was quoted somewhere in this thread as doing multiple buildings as part of the masterplan

The orientation on the site is a bit mysterious, but I think the red / slit side faces the Don Roadway (west), and the glass / blob side faces east onto a small plaza. That would put the red amoebae windows facing south towards the ship channel. Or else not.

Remember all of the jokes about the grand piano in the atrium a while back? Take a close squint at the blob-trium in the night rendering. It looks as though the balcony is a grand piano, half of which has slipped out of a bubble. Neat party space, I think.

Wow...it's def. not the cloud.
It looks like a suburban office building with a bigger budget. I really don't think it will have iconic status, tho the blob that is emerging from it gives it some life.

It looks like this is just the first of a series of new buildings as there was mention of a hotel and condo as well as offices. A very cautious roll-out?

looks quite good to me, but totally not what i had in mind when the Liverpool Cloud was initially mentioned... definitely not as iconic. (but better than Corus and Four Seasons and whatever else Jack Diamond's done). it'd be kinda cool to see how the hotel/condo/offices will look like and whether they'll have any design relation to this building

Does this anyone else of the Pelli's Red Building in Los Angeles?

http://www.red-building.com

For me the importance of this project is that development is finally starting in the Portlands and the private sector is adding to what the public sector is doing which should help make both visions more viable.

Besides, if the film industry doesn't want the complex I am sure the gaming biz would be interested.

I'm wondering if the little blob-type addition is what is supposed to be the 'cloud'? Anyhow, I like it. It looks like a very 'Toronto' building, in a good sense, and it is exactly the sort of thing needed down by the waterfront to set a standard.

Setting the stage for drama
TheStar.com - News - Setting the stage for drama

Renowned architect unveils startling red design for Toronto's new lakeside Filmport

August 09, 2007
Theresa Boyle staff reporter

Internationally renowned architect Will Alsop has designed what is being touted as an "iconic" landmark for Toronto's waterfront.

Mayor David Miller yesterday unveiled plans for phase two of Filmport, a state-of-the-art film studio complex at the Don Roadway and Commissioners St., just east of Cherry Beach.

It includes a curvy office building of glass and rusty-red steel that invokes a sense of the area's history as a port, created by Alsop in association with Quadrangle Architects Ltd.

Alsop is best known in Toronto as the creator of the flamboyant table-on-stilts addition to the Ontario College of Art and Design.

"I think maybe it says Toronto has grown up a little bit. We don't have to look elsewhere for excellence. We have excellence right here in our city," Miller told reporters yesterday.

"It's a little bit whimsical. It's excellent," he added. "I understand the steel is the same steel used in ships, so it relates to this environment here.

"We're on a shipping channel. It makes a real visual statement."

The 280,000-square-foot building – which is expected to be ready by 2010 – will house amenities such as commercial offices, post-production companies, union and guild offices, film schools, restaurants and shops.

"It's like the front wall to the film studios, the introduction to Filmport," Alsop explained, when reached by phone at his home in England.

"It will look beautiful."

The structure's curved form will envelop a public square and give "a sense of enclosure," Alsop said.

The Cor-Ten steel used in its construction will give it a rusty red colour.

"I wanted it to be made of that material because film studios are basically industrial sheds," Alsop explained.

"It's a very warm colour. That red against the skies will be phenomenal."

As for the irregular-shaped windows on the side of the building, Alsop joked that he has no explanation other than artistic liberty.

"It's just pure fun. There's nothing wrong with that. It's called architecture. It's not always very functional," he said.

Sam Reisman, the major financial backer behind Filmport, said he was thrilled to get Alsop on board.

"I just love him. This is an iconic building and we're making a statement."

Speculation that Alsop would design a floating cloud-like structure at Filmport was erroneous, Reisman said.

With seven large sound stages, including a 45,500-square-foot mega stage, Filmport will be the largest U.S. or Canadian studio complex outside Los Angeles.

Those sound stages are already under construction as phase 1 of Filmport and will be open for business at the end of next March.

Jeff Steiner, president of the Toronto Economic Development Corp., said blockbusters of the calibre of Titanic, Terminator 3, Spiderman and Superman could be produced here.

"They would love to come to Toronto to do those films but there haven't been enough purpose-built, large sound stages before," Steiner said.

TEDCO owns the site and is leasing it to Filmport.

from building.co.uk....

Alsop reveals design for Canada's FILMPORT
9 August, 2007

By Nargess Shahmanesh-Banks

Architect and Quadrangle to design commercial office building at new film and media centre in downtown Toronto

Architect Will Alsop will design the first commercial office building for a new film and media centre in Toronto. Working with local masterplan architect Quadrangle, the sleek building, with its red exterior and enveloping curved form, will be FILMPORT’s first commercial building.

Alsop’s building sits outside the gates of the Quadrangle-designed film studio complex. It will house post production companies, union and guild offices, film schools, and amenities such as restaurants and shops.

The 280,000 sq ft, 11 storey building will be clad with a curved glass curtain wall and a dramatic façade. Materials have been inspired by large ships which are part of Port Lands heritage. The roof will flood the mezzanined top floor with natural light and provide a spectacular view of downtown Toronto.

Will Alsop said: “Our inspiration for the design was to create a truly public space that would become a new destination in the city where everyone is welcome to interact with the many aspects of the film industry.â€

Canada’s largest film studio operator Toronto Film Studios (TFS) won an international competition for the rights to build FILMPORT in Port Lands. The area, named a “convergence community†for creative industries by the City of Toronto, is undergoing major regeneration.

Alsop said: “The whole of FILMPORT including this building is the first significant development in the regenerated Port Lands and is an exciting an important benchmark for the area.â€

Expansion plans to include new state-of-the-art film production facilities will be completed by early 2008.

Were making headlines around the world!!!!! lol This is what i like to hear, let's get more people talking!!!!

Take away the entrance and it's a rather tempered building for Alsop, certainly not as showey as the Cloud. The sweeping curved facade is pleasing and the organic shape of the entrance is interesting, but I'm not sure how well they work together- it looks tacked on to me. I'm not fond of the red panelling, but perhaps the docklands needs something that is splashy and bright.

here's one more article, this from the national post:

Film centre plans buoy hopes for Port Lands
Alsop-Designed Building

Kelly Patrick
National Post
Thursday, August 09, 2007

In Toronto's Port Lands yesterday, Mayor David Miller and the deep-pocketed backers of Filmport stood on an old Imperial Oil tanker farm to unveil plans for a building they hope will bring life back to this bleak stretch of the waterfront.

The building is an 11-storey office tower, film studio and event space designed by Will Alsop, the renowned British architect who created Toronto's elevated, polka-dotted Ontario College of Art & Design.

Although Mr. Alsop's new building -- which will be cherry red, with a facade of curved, cool steel and glass and an entrance that resembles a slinky -- is not slated to open until 2010, it is another sign that things are finally happening in the Port Lands.

Besides the unveiling of Mr. Alsop's design yesterday, the area is getting two other big boosts this month: Tonight, Cirque du Soleil begins its first run at the Port Lands, and on Aug. 23, a massive new Asian grocery store opens its doors right across Cherry Street from the Cirque's big top.

"There's a whole bunch of great things going on in the Port Lands and we're pretty happy about it," said Jeff Steiner, the president and chief executive of the Toronto Economic Development Corporation (TEDCO), which owns much of the land in the area.

Right now, the Port Lands are largely an industrial wasteland.

Located east of the city's core and bounded roughly by Lake Shore Boulevard to the north, the Toronto Inner Harbour to the west, Ashbridges Bay to the east and Lake Ontario to the south, the 400-hectare site has been the subject of revitalization dreams for years.

Most recently, the area was touted as a possible home for the 2015 World Expo, but Toronto's bid fell apart before it could be submitted last year.

In preparing for the Expo bid, however, the city and TEDCO acquired the bulk of the land.

Owning the land has helped pave the way for Filmport, the project of which Mr. Alsop's new building will be a part.

When it is complete, Filmport, which is financed by powerful key shareholders including Comweb Corporation and the Rose Corporation, will be the largest complex of film studios, sound stages and post-production facilities in North America outside of Los Angeles.

Construction is already underway on the $700-million project. The first sound stages are expected to open next spring.

The Filmport plan was drawn up before the Canadian dollar began its dramatic climb toward parity with the U.S. greenback. The city has since had trouble attracting as many movie shoots as it did in the past.

That does not worry Filmport President Ken Ferguson, who said the quality and convenience of Filmport's planned facilities will attract blockbuster movie projects anyway.

"This studio is all about raising the bar, giving a much higher quality of product so that productions can come up here and do things more efficiently," he said.

Cirque du Soleil's decision to shift its Toronto run from its traditional home at Ontario Place to the Port Lands was largely pragmatic, said Andre Cote, Cirque's director of marketing for North America.

With the CNE taking place nearby, the old site left spectators trapped in traffic trying to get to the show.

The Port Lands had the space and the proximity to downtown for the new show, Kooza, which is scheduled to run until Oct. 7, but will likely be extended.

"I think we're bringing visibility to their location," Mr. Cote said of the move.

Later this month a massive Asian grocery store will open in the former Knob Hills Farms building .

Located at 222 Cherry Street, the new 41,000-square-foot T & T Supermarket will be the first downtown Toronto outlet for the British Columbia-based chain, which is known as the "Asian Loblaws."

Back