A lot of them seem to be the outragously, self-absorbedly embittered older Gen X men. Sort of the thirtysomethings with a mediocre job and few romantic prospects who vent all their rage at life's frustrations on the damned liberals.
Naw, they don't seem Gen X enough. And those who'd vent their rage on damned liberals wouldn't likely choose the G&M.

Though re the "few romantic prospects" part, they *do* seem like the sort who'd use Globe Personals...

It may sit near the shipping channel (which one day could be quite the neighbourhood with a very memorable, iconic focal point) but certainly not near the lake as the site is well east.

The Filmport site is an interesting one and perhaps that is where this Cloud building of Alsop may go. Or maybe its a completely different Alsop building than the Liverpool one, because he has been associated for some time with this film studio project and The Cloud was never mentioned before in the posts.

Filmport will quickly become a focal point for the creative industries (like film obviously) but also as a funky destination. It is indeed "on the waterfront" so to speak at a key street (the Don Roadway) which will have a future bridge link over the Ship Channel.

The site plan for Filmport reserves the waters edge of the Ship Channel for a pedestrian promenade and the studio's southern buildings will face onto and animate that promenade, probably including retail and entertainment uses as a destination.

Not a bad use for a former Imperial Oil tank farm! I think TEDCO bought it from Imperial Oil a few years ago to recycle the land for employment uses and to clean up another brownfield.

Naw, they don't seem Gen X enough. And those who'd vent their rage on damned liberals wouldn't likely choose the G&M.

Though re the "few romantic prospects" part, they *do* seem like the sort who'd use Globe Personals...

Whoa...I didn't know they had such a thing. Is it online or in the classifieds or something?

You're probably right about the first bit, though I'm sure they're those conservatives who feel like they have to "fight" the liberals on their own turf.

I'm definitely pretty pleased with this filmport project, though I'm a bit worried about the renderings which seem awfully suburban. I guess it's sort of unavoidable. The designs along the shipping channel seem much better.

Miller to unveil new Will Alsop building
VAL ROSS

August 8, 2007

Toronto will continue to try to wrest back its title as media-production centre of Canada today when Mayor David Miller announces details of the next phase in the development of North America's largest studio and media-facilities cluster outside Los Angeles. With seven sound stages already under construction, the project will eventually bring 550,000 square feet of production offices and sound stages, and a 45,000-square-foot megastage, to the proposed Filmport district in the Port Lands.

"The film industry is important to Toronto, and we have to do everything we can to keep it here," Miller told The Globe and Mail yesterday.

The highlight of today's announcement will be the unveiling of a condo-hotel-office building by maverick British architect Will Alsop, based in part on an ill-fated project known as the Cloud, which he originally designed for Liverpool. "Alsop reinforces the idea of the creativity that's being expressed here," he said.

Financing is well in place. Filmport has powerful principal shareholders: the Rose Corporation and Comweb Corporation; this week, GE Real Estate, a global commercial real-estate firm, is expected to announce a $28.5-million loan for the complex's first phase.

The new facility has been in the works since before the high loonie dampened U.S. enthusiasm for making movies in Canada. It also predates federal and provincial policies that have encouraged other centres to siphon media production from Toronto. Last year, film and TV production in British Columbia outstripped that of Ontario -- $1.2-billion compared with $888-million. Within Ontario, cities such as Hamilton are also giving Toronto stiff competition.

Given such pressures, Filmport's backers, including Paul Bronfman, Sam Reisman and the Toronto Economic Development Corp. (TEDCO), which owns the 12-hectare site east of Cherry Street, could be said to be investing in hope. But Toronto is also hoping to reclaim media production through another project. Miller cited the new Corus Entertainment headquarters at the foot of Jarvis Street. The Corus building's architect is Toronto's own Jack Diamond. His site-specific building and Alsop's Liverpool transplant will, their backers hope, affirm Toronto's sex appeal, as did Diamond's Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts and Alsop's playfully spotted Ontario College of Art & Design. "My new building will be a jolly sister to the OCAD building," Alsop promised. "And it will be a green building - we're taking that more and more seriously."

A condo-hotel at Don Roadway and Commissioners? I think it's great we're getting another Alsop, and that the Portlands are a great place for it, but this seems weird.

And saying Project Psymphony will add "sex appeal" is laughable.

A condo-hotel at Don Roadway and Commissioners? I think it's great we're getting another Alsop, and that the Portlands are a great place for it, but this seems weird.

Once the lower don lands changes happen, that will be a great location:

461fa350b69e3.jpg

They're speaking about this project, right? I hope so, that'll be great for that area. Probably would've looked goofy in Liverpool, though--especially beside such historically important buildings.

Attachments

• CompVizCloud.jpg
    CompVizCloud.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 197
  • pic-Alsop-cloud.jpg
    pic-Alsop-cloud.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 197
how can Miller boast Jack Diamond as on the same level of appeal as Alsop?!?!?! that drives me so mad. for me, i'm serious when i say Miller has lost a lot of points just for saying that... Diamond should be banned from doing more projects in this city and four seasons should really be torn down for its north/east/south sides. meanwhile, i'm sooooo looking forward to seeing the Alsop building @filmport.

Rendering is up at BlogTO. It's very cool. However I have no idea what they hell they were talking about in comparing it to that Liverpool project. It's nothing like it, not even a little.

well, this doesn't look like the 'cloud' to me....

1054285390_ed347f6e91_o.jpg

1053426929_1617ec6e53_o.jpg

Thanks yyz!

Didn't look anything like the Manchester Cloud, as allabootmatt already mentioned, but though it looked rather cool - like some anatomical section of muscle, with the holes and striations.

AoD

Back