Hey hey, easy now; heritage-designated strip malls are the venerable legacy of the 905, my old stompin' grounds.

tx3R3kx.jpg

mMx8wq2.jpg

Where do you people come up with this stuff? How does this corner resemble a strip mall!?!? Strip malls are plazas that are set way back from the street with parking in the front.

Just for fun

EDIT: If it weren't midnight and my bedtime I'd totally have added a dry-cleaner, convenience store, and Mr. Sub signage.

Rw09qkf.jpg

I'm sure if Adelaide and John was repaved to look less like a crumbling parking lot and more like one of the most important streets in downtown, the podium would look a lot better. Also, how could this look like a strip mall when there's a massive 46 storey condo towering above it with barely any setback?

Also, does anyone know/have some idea of what retail is gonna go here?

Where do you people come up with this stuff? How does this corner resemble a strip mall!?!? Strip malls are plazas that are set way back from the street with parking in the front.

And of course if the podium had NOT included commercial space, it would have been condemned for "taking away the street vitality".

And of course if the podium had NOT included commercial space, it would have been condemned for "taking away the street vitality".

Nobody is criticizing the inclusion of retail spaces in the podium. We are commenting on the design/massing of the podium.

Just for fun

EDIT: If it weren't midnight and my bedtime I'd totally have added a dry-cleaner, convenience store, and Mr. Sub signage.

Rw09qkf.jpg

That's basically your typical wall of glass retail and it ain't very pretty. What is the difference between this and your typical suburban big box retail strip? At street level, it's pretty much the same, minus the car parking. There is no attempt to make it interesting, unique or beautiful. I know most of you guys love these ubiquitous walls of glass but I hate it! These glass walled retail podiums are destroying the downtown shopping experience. (not to mention the shit retail that usually goes in them)

These glass walled retail podiums are destroying the downtown shopping experience. (not to mention the shit retail that usually goes in them)

Yeah, but this is the Entertainment District, so you probably don't have to worry about SHIT retail. Look at next door, the condo took a chance with basically the same designed podium, and made something interesting out of nothing. (or at least the same flat boring design)

20140806-montecito590-13.jpg

20140805-montecito590-09.jpg

from blogto

Attachments

• 20140806-montecito590-13.jpg
    20140806-montecito590-13.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 1,682
  • 20140805-montecito590-09.jpg
    20140805-montecito590-09.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 1,729
New lighting along John Street yesterday evening:

IMG_5438.jpg

IMG_5442.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5438.jpg
    IMG_5438.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 1,357
  • IMG_5442.jpg
    IMG_5442.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 1,354
Is that lighting an 'art' thing or it's just lighting? It's weird because even with all those lights, it still looks quite dark on the left side of the sidewalk. It's too bad they didn't continue the brick around the podium but instead used that cheap metal for the most prominent part.

Back