News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Unfortunately, police unions would be all to happy to gobble up any additional funding for salary and benefit increases rather than any kind of increase in productivity or effectiveness.

Yes, I agree those are two separate things. But defunding the police will never end police racism. You end police racism through equitable hiring up to the top level, better training, and community outreach. Three things alone that cost more, not less.

Those things cost money cutting the budget to bare bones your not going to be able to afford outreach etc.

In the latest U of T magazine, there's an article looking at their research into how police handle stressful situations/de-escalation etc.

Its noted that their research is in use, in Finland, where instances of police-involved shootings are much lower. Not clear, whether there's any link between that and the adoption of the U of T's research.

But the work being done here, is well lauded, including by many in Ontario law enforcement circles. Getting it adopted is proving more of a challenge.

Meanwhile, in Buffalo...

State Supreme Court ruling reinstates former Buffalo police officer Cariol Horne's pension, including backpay

From link.

A New York State Supreme Court ruling has reinstated the pension of a former Buffalo police officer who was fired after intervening when she says an officer put a man in a chokehold in 2006.

Cariol Horne will receive a full pension, and backpay and benefits, following a decision by Hon. Dennis E. Ward on Tuesday.

The ruling comes less than six months after "Cariol's Law" was signed by Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown. The law states that officers who reasonably believe a colleague is using excessive force have a duty to step in and stop it. Failure to intervene can lead to criminal charges.

In his ruling, Hon. Dennis E. Ward quoted the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., writing "the time is always right to do right."

Justice Ward vacated the State Supreme Court's 2010 decision. In addition, the court ruled that the city must reinstate Horne as a police officer for the period of July 26, 2008 to August 4, 2010, and pay Horne back wages and benefits for that time period. The city must also "make any required pension contributions for that period of time."

Read the full ruling here.

What about Toronto (or Ontario)? Does it have a so-called duty-to-intervene law requiring officers to step in when one of their own used excessive force?

What about Toronto (or Ontario)? Does it have a so-called duty-to-intervene law requiring officers to step in when one of their own used excessive force?
In terms of criminal law, we do not (that I am aware of). Given the circumstances, there could be legal liability in becoming a party to an offence (of the other officer), criminal negligence ('act or omission'), etc. As a stretch, they could be captured under 'failure to provide the necessaries of life' but the circumstances are narrow.

Report to the April 22nd meeting of the Toronto Police Services Board on the implementing MCIT (Mobile Crisis Intervention Team) expansion, and 911 call diversion to Crisis Worker.

From the report:

1618520751288.png

1618520784070.png

1618520823834.png

1618520856556.png

On the issue of expanding coverage to 24-hours per day:

1618520943073.png

On costs:

1618520983076.png

On a typo I just enjoyed too much:

1618521033323.png

We keep increasing the police budget, but our police continue to be invisible. Roll through a four way stop sign, or turn right on a red light without first stopping? No chance you’ll get caught, since there’s no police on patrol. Stand in traffic soliciting cash from drivers, a clear violation of the SSA? No problem, police ignore this. Drive aggressively? As long as you’re not speeding past the few usual trap sites? You’re fine, police don’t even notice. Shoot up or deal drugs in plain sight, the police don’t care.

What the heck do our 5,000 plus officers do all day? I go to Manhattan and there are police on foot everywhere.

We keep increasing the police budget, but our police continue to be invisible. Roll through a four way stop sign, or turn right on a red light without first stopping? No chance you’ll get caught, since there’s no police on patrol. Stand in traffic soliciting cash from drivers, a clear violation of the SSA? No problem, police ignore this. Drive aggressively? As long as you’re not speeding past the few usual trap sites? You’re fine, police don’t even notice. Shoot up or deal drugs in plain sight, the police don’t care.

What the heck do our 5,000 plus officers do all day? I go to Manhattan and there are police on foot everywhere.
That's a 2.3 per cent increase. The average inflation rate of goods in 2021 for Canada has been 4.4 percent. So that 2.3% is BELOW inflation.

New York City had 485 homicides last year, in a jurisdiction of 8.4M

Toronto had 84 in a jurisdiction of 3M

NYC's homicide rate per 100,000 people 5.77
Toronto's homicide rate per 100,000 people 2.8

To be clear, there's a lot more involved in that than policing...........but the suggestion that Toronto's force is largely absent when violent crime is materially lower here is unreasonable.

Also NYC has far more officers per capita...............and they suck up a lot more budget.

Toronto - number of officers 5500 (per 100k) = 183
NYC - number of officers 36000 (per 100k) = 428

No wonder you see more of them.

NYC is 2.6x the population of Toronto, City to City

NYC Police Budget is 5BUSD so 6.25B CAD
Toronto Police Budget 1.1B CAD

So their budget is 5.68x larger than Toronto's

or more than 2x per capita.

Just sayin.

I don't think you grasp the number of staff it would take too catch all those things.

You still feel this way? Seems to me that Toronto luckily missed an ineffectual chief.

Seeing how Ottawa police in "action" the last few days has me thinking that Sloly is a chief that cops in Ottawa just refuse to respect - a Black, reform-minded guy from Toronto.

Back