News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Seeing how Ottawa police in "action" the last few days has me thinking that Sloly is a chief that cops in Ottawa just refuse to respect - a Black, reform-minded guy from Toronto.
Come on.... he's ineffectual because he's black and from another city? That's a stretch. Maybe he's just ineffectual?

Seeing how Ottawa police in "action" the last few days has me thinking that Sloly is a chief that cops in Ottawa just refuse to respect - a Black, reform-minded guy from Toronto.
So cops in Ottawa are letting their city be overrun because they don't like the Chief?

I have no inside info but it could be that he knows what he is doing and without additional help from OPP and RCMP he knew he and his officers would have been 'beaten back' - how would THAT have looked?

I have no inside info but it could be that he knows what he is doing and without additional help from OPP and RCMP he knew he and his officers would have been 'beaten back' - how would THAT have looked?
I have none either, and acknowledge that the 'contested ground' is a lot more compact in Windsor that Ottawa, but do observe, with some curiosity, that Windsor has managed to assemble and deploy several police services in a lot shorter time. Ottawa, in spite of their own personnel and an unknown number of other police services, seem to control absolutely nothing in downtown Ottawa. I mean, people have managed to lug in hot tubs and bouncy castles for cripe's sake.

To effectively control what, a several block area of downtown Ottawa, you need a lot - like, I mean a lot - of cops. They don't all need to be trained public order teams, but they need to come in from somewhere (and be put up somewhere), and no police service is going to allow themselves to be bled dry. They still have calls to answer and have to 'husband their resources' given the other pop-up protests. The OPP is the only Ontario police service legally mandated to assist municipal services, but their capacity is limited.

Assuming that overall incident command is in the hands of OPS, each other police service will have (or should have) their own on-site leadership. I am only speculating here, but I can't help but wonder if they are unwilling to commit their personnel to what they view as a flawed plan. It has happened.

In 2000, the Toronto Police Service switched to all black uniforms. Why?

They now look like the black uniforms worn by the Schutzstaffel(SS). Too "right-wing" for my taste.
804-8042632_allgemeine-ss-uniforms-german-navy-uniform-ww2.png
From link.

Black was selected in 2000, because they said the blue was visible at night. Yet most cops wear reflective vests for just that, visibility.
toronto-police-exercise-crowd-control-during-the-toronto-raptors-2019-picture-id1150631463
From link.

So that argument is moot.

They now look like the black uniforms worn by the Schutzstaffel(SS). Too "right-wing" for my taste.
From link.

Black was selected in 2000, because they said the blue was visible at night. Yet most cops wear reflective vests for just that, visibility.
toronto-police-exercise-crowd-control-during-the-toronto-raptors-2019-picture-id1150631463
From link.

They do not look like the SS, that's ridiculous, and most don't wear reflective vests, you're looking at a large incident where they needed to be visible.

From link.

From link.

Well, that's a little over the top. It's actually not black. I don't know what the colour is officially called but some call it 'LAPD blue'. You are correct for the reason for change, and it evolved after a study following the shooting death of an OPP member.

The regular Nazi military had a lot of grey/light blue, greens and browns. They were better?

Personal opinion only, but it's not a very serviceable colour. Biting insects prefer dark colours and they show dirt (more of rural concerns, I admit). I would have much preferred they go to something tan/earth tone like the SQ used to use (but have now 'gone dark') many US Sheriff departments, but there was concern for confusion with Conservation Officers.

What would be a nice, friendly colour?

All sorts of options (although the Aussie pic looks a little more purple than I have seen - might be a photo colour balance thing). I just argue the concept of a friendly vs aggressive colour.

No thanks on the Kepi hats, though.

From link.

From link.

Goodwins Law has been invoked. Shows over.

When the Toronto Police started, they tended to copy the British police. Lately, they tended to copy the American way, which has become more right-wing. Sometimes, towards a more military look, along with the military manners. We need to turn away from that, and maybe go our own way.

police-uniforms.jpg
From link.

When the Toronto Police started, they tended to copy the British police. Lately, they tended to copy the American way, which has become more right-wing. Sometimes, towards a more military look, along with the military manners. We need to turn away from that, and maybe go our own way.

police-uniforms.jpg
From link.
All Canadian police services mimicked the British model - that's our history. Quite frankly, so did US services.

If having matching shirt and pants is 'military', okay. If carrying the kit is military, sure.

Enlighten me how a uniform is right wing, and what "military manners" means.

Back