Sometimes different styles on the same building can be quite intriguing but this is just sloppy. It's also very wide so it's will cast a huge shadow will negate any potential benefits of maintaining a descent streetscape even with the old warehouse still intact.

There is nothing sloppy about a project that gives back a significant amount on the street level and left the historical fabric intact by lifting the bulk up the air. Since when does shadows wreck that (when there are extant examples of preservation projects literally surrounded by towers in the core)? Let's not forget this is an office building either - large and wide floor plates are de rigueur.

AoD

Last edited:
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2485.JPG
    IMG_2485.JPG
    779 KB · Views: 1,754
I just don't understand how people don't think this design is anything less than amazing, the glass cube essentially 'floats' over the heritage podium... and the stilts!! Love it.

Taken on its own, the new glass portion is somewhat unremarkable, albeit with very nice glazing. However, the project is greater than the sum of its parts due to the creative reuse of the warehouse, the impressively huge atrium space, and the seemingly physics-defying trusses and "floating" glass portion that appears to hover above the existing building. I think showier architecture up top could have distracted from all the fascinating things going on underneath.

I'm certainly still open minded about the project so when it's all done maybe I will change my mind. I truly hope I'm wrong about this building but so far I think it's an eyesore.

Taken on its own, the new glass portion is somewhat unremarkable, albeit with very nice glazing. However, the project is greater than the sum of its parts due to the creative reuse of the warehouse, the impressively huge atrium space, and the seemingly physics-defying trusses and "floating" glass portion that appears to hover above the existing building. I think showier architecture up top could have distracted from all the fascinating things going on underneath.

Totally agree, now reassess: amahzing!

Furthermore this area already has a couple of unique designs going up in Tableau and especially Picasso. This tower will serve as a nice backdrop to those attention-drawing designs.

Richmond has been "boxed in". The architects should have taken this vista into consideration in designing the building.

According to the stacking diagram in the Allied Third Quarter report (page 54), the building's designers, &Co (Sweeny Sterling Finlayson &Co) will be moving into the Fourteenth floor of QRC West. Lease up of the building looks like it is continuing to go well.

Back