The light does not change fast enough for it to work. I've often seen the firetruck and ambulance out onto the ROW before the light changes.

Then there is an issue with the set-up. And it's not like this is a one-off - there are numerous signals that have been tied in to fire stations around the City.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

So if a pedestrian is in the intersection on a clear walk signal - it's designed to change instantly leaving the pedestrian stranded ?

So if a pedestrian is in the intersection on a clear walk signal - it's designed to change instantly leaving the pedestrian stranded ?

It's supposed to go to a "fast change" cycle, running down the countdown for pedestrians faster than normal.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

On the bright side, if they're struck it will be by an EMS vehicle.

It was only a matter of time.

IMG_0159.JPG

I also like the lovely paint job that they left behind and how they butchered the asphalt in the bike lane. A lot of cyclists and especially rollerbladers are swerving around it by going into the opposite lane, because of the rough edges and uneven surface. Lets see how long it will take the city to fix this.

IMG_0160.JPG

To follow up on my post from last month, I am pleased to report that the stone pavers have been fully restored. The asphalt in the bike lane has been improved too, though it will never be quite as seamless as the original condition.

Attachments

• IMG_0159.JPG
    IMG_0159.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 818
  • IMG_0160.JPG
    IMG_0160.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 773
To follow up on my post from last month, I am pleased to report that the stone pavers have been fully restored. The asphalt in the bike lane has been improved too, though it will never be quite as seamless as the original condition.

Noticed the pavers were done nicely last weekend. A bit surprised, I must say.

It's about damn time.

If there is a place in the city where cops should be taken out of their vehicles and put on bikes, Queens Quay is it. There should be bike cops patrolling Queens Quay full time. This is the busiest bike lane in the city and it mingles with one of the busiest pedestrian realms. It's absurd that you don't see a single police officer ensuring that everything is running smoothly. Occasionally, you'll see a police cruiser drive by. What good is that? They need to be out of their vehicles.

I've been told by someone at WT that something big has been going on behind the scenes to remedy the pedestrian/cyclist/car confusion on Queens Quay. They're waiting to get "all partners on board" before discussing publicly.

I don't know what it is exactly but my guess is that some traffic lights could be eliminated. 4 way stops would be far more useful and lend to everyone being more careful while pedestrians and cyclists wouldn't have to wait at a red light with no cars coming, leading to better adherence to rules where there are lights. I'd even argue for the elimination of all traffic lights with 4 way stop signs and flashing pedestrian crossovers instead.

Another improvement could be to introduce alternating one ways to discourage speeding and reduce overall traffic. There would be no end to end travel on Queens Quay which would become local traffic only.

Whatever it is, WT is aware of the issues and working on some big moves to fix the problems.

Some specifics now. These are some of the proposals most likely to be implemented.:

- Move the crosswalk button before the bike lane. Crowding between the bike lane and streetcar ROW is very dangerous and impacting TTC schedule.

- Add a cyclist traffic light post before the intersection, where bikes are supposed to stop. This is not regulated by the highway traffic act and is allowed for information purposes.

- Rumble strips on the streetcar ROW to prevent cars from entering.

wKW44Vp.jpg

The Mayor is involved hands on with this and very interested in fixing the problems because the Queens Quay model will eventually be used on the King Street transit mall and in the new waterfront neighbourhoods.

Last edited:
Great seeing police at almost every intersection on Queens Quay this weekend not really ticketing anyone, but rather informing people on all modes of transportation about the rules of the road.

On Queens Quay I think it's better to educate people than to ticket them right now since one cop can't ticket 20 people jaywalking simultaneously but the cop could educate those same 20 people simultaneously.

Honestly one doesn't need to be educated on jaywalking - they have been taught since they're a kid. Seeing someone getting ticketed for jaywalking on the other hand will educate them that the cops are watching, and they can be the ones getting dinged next time (it not ever happening is the reason behind the fact that no one follows that rule).

AoD

Back