Isn’t the best way to solve a problem to go to the route of the problem? The Ontario Driver’s Licence. There should be a new license type, let’s say class T, which is required for one to drive in Downtown Toronto. Requiring an extra Drive Test in Downtown, which will require various tests and actions.

It is not practical to have these tests on the normal Class G licence tests as not everyone would need to drive in Downtown.

If someone needs to drive Downtown for a day or two, then they can apply for a permit to do so, so once they get ticketed (or police stop them when they do something wrong) they can show the permit rather than get ticketed or lose their licence for not following the law.

Education and testing for the “Class T” licence is good for everyone. More educated drivers, less cars Downtown, and more.

Isn’t the best way to solve a problem to go to the route of the problem? The Ontario Driver’s Licence. There should be a new license type, let’s say class T, which is required for one to drive in Downtown Toronto. Requiring an extra Drive Test in Downtown, which will require various tests and actions.

It is not practical to have these tests on the normal Class G licence tests as not everyone would need to drive in Downtown.

If someone needs to drive Downtown for a day or two, then they can apply for a permit to do so, so once they get ticketed (or police stop them when they do something wrong) they can show the permit rather than get ticketed or lose their licence for not following the law.

Education and testing for the “Class T” licence is good for everyone. More educated drivers, less cars Downtown, and more.

The latest driver in the tunnel was from New York with a New York plate and license.

Are you insinuating that anyone who wants to visit Toronto has to take a drivers test? Because a, that will never fly, and b, the majority of incidents with the tunnel are with visitors from out of town. Toronto locals know not to go in this tunnel.

I mean, that's why this happens at this tunnel and not the one at Spadina and Bloor; the waterfront is tourist central.

The latest driver in the tunnel was from New York with a New York plate and license.

Are you insinuating that anyone who wants to visit Toronto has to take a drivers test? Because a, that will never fly, and b, the majority of incidents with the tunnel are with visitors from out of town. Toronto locals know not to go in this tunnel.

I mean, that's why this happens at this tunnel and not the one at Spadina and Bloor; the waterfront is tourist central.

I mentioned this:

I mentioned this:

haha yeah, that would never, EVER happen. It would kill toronto tourism. How would the permit stop people from driving into the tunnels anyways? If you are implying that they would have to do any sort of test, whether in car or written to drive in Toronto, wow. Go live in Singapore, Singapore Toronto isn't and I hope it never is.

haha yeah, that would never, EVER happen. It would kill toronto tourism. How would the permit stop people from driving into the tunnels anyways? If you are implying that they would have to do any sort of test, whether in car or written to drive in Toronto, wow. Go live in Singapore, Singapore Toronto isn't and I hope it never is.
I just don't know why they bothered to set the tracks with concrete so far into the tunnel. Should just be bare track for at least 50 feet before the entrance to the portal - at least they are stuck up at street level.

Yeah, it's a ridiculous suggestion. I see the point behind it but it's absurd to think about actually implementing it. Legally, to have it be enforceable, you'd have to build a wall around the ENTIRE city and build border crossings for people coming in to check their licenses/permits. If we didn't, and the city were to plan on pulling over people who don't know about the permit requirement and impounding their cars, the city would get sued out of existence. Mind you, the city would have zero authority whatsoever to institute this in the first place, the Province would need to do it, and they wouldn't, so the city would need to secede from the province--good luck with that.

And good point, it wouldn't stop people from driving into the tunnel. Wasn't one of the last two people extremely drunk and/or high? It's not a matter of being a local or not, it's a matter of being drunk, high, distracted, or completely and utterly incompetent to the point that you aren't capable of functioning in society.

I just don't know why they bothered to set the tracks with concrete so far into the tunnel. Should just be bare track for at least 50 feet before the entrance to the portal - at least they are stuck up at street level.

unfortunately many people have been able to "power through" the bare tracks with their cars, and make it all the way to the loop.

81dd-2016425-car2.jpg-resize_then_crop-_frame_bg_color_FFF-h_1365-gravity_center-q_70-preserve_ratio_true-w_2048_.jpg

2017223-tunnel.jpg-resize_then_crop-_frame_bg_color_FFF-h_1365-gravity_center-q_70-preserve_ratio_true-w_2048_.jpg

50 feet more of bare tracks wont stop them.

We need electronic bollards, full stop.

Lets stop this issue from happening, period.

Do it right or don't bother.

Sidewalk Toronto will blend people-centred urban design with cutting-edge technology to help create complete communities.

On November 1, 2017, we’ll host a Community Town Hall where we’ll ask you to join the conversation and learn more about Sidewalk Toronto, and introduce you to our partners at Sidewalk Labs. Come out to share with us your ideas, your concerns, your hopes. The neighbourhood of the future begins with all of us. Please stay tuned for further details.

Date: Wednesday, November 1, 2017
Time: 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. ET
Location: Jane Mallett Theatre, St. Lawrence Centre for the Arts
27 Front Street East, Toronto, ON M5E 1B4
RSVP: Please register via Eventbrite

If you are unable to attend in person, we will be live streaming the meeting for your convenience. To watch and interact, visit www.facebook.com/WaterfrontToronto/ or Sidewalk Toronto's Youtube page.

For more information, please contact info@waterfrontoronto.ca.

Reactions: syn
Anyone have any recent picture of construction progress on removing the pinch point?

I didn't take any pictures but had a quick look after I dismounted my bike to go through (my girlfriend and I were the only ones to do so). There were several steel beams (3 or 4?) that spanned across the gap, parallel to the sidewalk.

Have you looked at the QQE Tunnel portal? The road has paint and bumps, there are huge signs and flashing lights. One would need to be very stupid or inattentive to miss them. That's not to say paint on TTC rights of way ELSEWHERE is a bad idea but for the tunnel portal it is clearly not enough and grass would be no better.

Hey, the proof is in the pudding. Obviously there are drivers that are either very stupid or inattentive because we are still having them go into the portal. Obviously all those bells and whistles are not enough.

An advantage of colouring the ROW is that it won’t be just in front of the tunnel, it would extend all along the ROW. So if you’re a driver you would see meters and meters of the coloured ROW as you drive by and hopefully that is an added signal that it is a no-go zone.

Actually it’s quite probable that drivers drive on the ROW itself from all the way back at York Street so some indication that it is a no-go zone as far back as that street would be useful.

Last edited:
Is the Martin Goodman/Waterfront Trail(s) going to extended to be connected? I would assume so.

Is the Martin Goodman/Waterfront Trail(s) going to extended to be connected? I would assume so.
Not quite sure what you mean. There are still certainly a few gaps in the (separated) trail running along the Lake BUT there is a conti8nuous trail. Wiki says:
"The Martin Goodman Trail is a 56-kilometre (35 mi)[1][2] multi-use path[3][4] along the waterfront in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It traverses the entire lake shore from one end of the city to the other, from Humber Bay Arch Bridge in the west to the Rouge River in the east.[2] The Martin Goodman Trail is part of the 730 km Waterfront Trail around Lake Ontario."

Back