Not quite sure what you mean. There are still certainly a few gaps in the (separated) trail running along the Lake BUT there is a conti8nuous trail. Wiki says:
"The Martin Goodman Trail is a 56-kilometre (35 mi)[1][2] multi-use path[3][4] along the waterfront in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It traverses the entire lake shore from one end of the city to the other, from Humber Bay Arch Bridge in the west to the Rouge River in the east.[2] The Martin Goodman Trail is part of the 730 km Waterfront Trail around Lake Ontario."
I mean is the cycle path going to be connected at this section where the path ends and then restarts?

Actually it’s quite probable that drivers drive on the ROW itself from all the way back at York Street so some indication that it is a no-go zone as far back as that street would be useful.
Putting fences along it from Spadia would probably help plus it would also keep pedestrians from crossing it as well. The only problem is that fences don't fit in with Waterfront Toronto's vision they think that trees are enough of a barrier to keep people off that and that dirivers won't drive on the tracks.

From today. Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done.

Great to see it's almost done. I'll have to go down there but my impression from the picture is that I thought the area for the sidewalk bump out over the water would be a tad bigger.

Great to see it's almost done. I'll have to go down there but my impression from the picture is that I thought the area for the sidewalk bump out over the water would be a tad bigger.

The picture is deceiving. If you use the nearby pedestrian for scale, you can tell that it’s pretty big. There’ll be a comfortable sidewalk width while maintaining a continuous bike path.

Well, it looks like the idea of the moving walkway from Union to QQ has bit the dust.

https://twitter.com/BenSpurr/status/929087231482060801

The moving walkway might have had more potential if it was more of an express PATH connection combined with a with a new underground station built under Harbour Street.

So you would have PATH (and a moving walkway) running down to Harbour Street (reusing some of the tunnels), linking into a new station (that could reemerge onto Queens Quay east of Yonge). The new office towers (i.e. CIBC Square) could have easily linked into this tunnel in the future, reducing its 'tunnelly'ness and potentially introducing some level of retail.

Hence, you can avoid the problem of having to interface between an underground space and surface transit while also avoiding the touchy (and expensive?) issue of expanding a tunnel under Union Station and the train tracks.

Of course, I don't know if there's enough space under Harbour for a station, but perhaps something could be arranged with Westin Castle and their conference centre.

Last edited:

Back