And then we have this - which illustrates why the funicular is a bad idea as well:

https://twitter.com/GraphicMatt/status/929068404442505216

Full Report:

https://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Co...r_13/Reports/20_Waterfront_Transit_Update.pdf

From p 10-11:

upload_2017-11-11_11-13-2.png

upload_2017-11-11_11-13-26.png

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-11_11-13-2.png
    upload_2017-11-11_11-13-2.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 285
  • upload_2017-11-11_11-13-26.png
    upload_2017-11-11_11-13-26.png
    62.4 KB · Views: 290
Yes, the TTC report is filled with 'interesting' comments and it seems clear to me that they are none too keen on the funicular scheme. After a great deal of time being wasted I think we are returning to the solution proposed by the EA many years ago. "Fix the damned Bay Street Tunnel and the Union Station Loop."

Yes, the TTC report is filled with 'interesting' comments and it seems clear to me that they are none too keen on the funicular scheme. After a great deal of time being wasted I think we are returning to the solution proposed by the EA many years ago. "Fix the damned Bay Street Tunnel and the Union Station Loop."

It looks like stalling to me. The city has massive budget issues for capital works; even matching the federal spend for SOGR has proven so difficult we're not taking all the funding available.

He needs to both prove it's the only option (so council will agree to fund it) and likely push the spending to future years when funding through debt is easier (after LTT tops up borrowing space).

It’s not surprising that all of these ideas of linking Union to the Waterfront are now emerging. After all, Union Station’s platform expansion was a Waterfront Toronto project. Somewhat weird at the time since Union subway station is around 4 or 5 blocks away from the water.

The "funicular" option must have been suggested by some anti-streetcar suburbanite. One who does not use or avoids the streetcar as much as possible.

I feel embarrassed for Toronto that such a pathetic idea was ever even proposed with a straight face.[/QUOTE]
The "funicular" option must have been suggested by some anti-streetcar suburbanite. One who does not use or avoids the streetcar as much as possible.
What if it was a delusional city hall transit planner? The air is quite thin at those elevations and surrounded by all that political haze.

I feel embarrassed for Toronto that such a pathetic idea was ever even proposed with a straight face.

What if it was a delusional city hall transit planner? The air is quite thin at those elevations and surrounded by all that political haze.[/QUOTE]

The funicular could be a good idea if it was free to ride and/or built like the Bund Sightseeing Tunnel in Shanghai.

Wow, all that for nothing, with a cyclist on the sidewalk already...
The widening is not only for the sidewalk it's also for the shared bike trail and is supposed to allow cyclists to cycle through that (former) choke point without dismounting. (Frankly, if I had been the cyclist in your photo I would have kept cycling - I see no pedestrians or even other cyclists.)

The widening is not only for the sidewalk it's also for the shared bike trail and is supposed to allow cyclists to cycle through that (former) choke point without dismounting. (Frankly, if I had been the cyclist in your photo I would have kept cycling - I see no pedestrians or even other cyclists.)
In the second photo, the cyclist is on the sidewalk, not the bike path.

So I was reading an article about Houston and I noticed one design feature that really should have been replicated on Queen's quay:

palm-center.jpg

Notice the tiny rumble strip and bump out as physical indicators that drivers are intruding into the streetcar ROW.

Compare with on Queen's quay where the streetcar switches from a centre of the road to side of the road arrangement, where the most intuitive thing for drivers is to continue straight on the wide, unmarked concrete path:

upload_2017-12-11_12-27-0.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-11_12-27-0.png
    upload_2017-12-11_12-27-0.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 473
Presumably rumble strips aren't used because of snowplowing. Otherwise there are various places where such a feature would be useful to prevent vehicle intrusions into streetcar right-of-way.

Back