Also just wanted to chime in that there are a hundred or so major intersections in Toronto that are called SCOOT intersections which run on their own centrally controlled system that adjusts based on traffic volume (i.e. depending on how many people are lining up one direction + turning , etc it can adjust the cycle length on the fly) So most synchronization for all the other lights is kind of constrained by these intersections when you look at an entire street as a whole. In fact some of these intersections are actual especially calibrated for transit priority (thinking of Bloor and Islington). More intersections fro the SCOOT system are coming on every year, but it's still a pretty manual way that the vast majority of lights are synchronized in Toronto and aren't being centrally controlled and monitored and adjusted every day. The city does monitor over time if traffic levels have been changing and will perform minor calibrations but you could theoretically have an out-dated signal timing sheet for a light in 2014 that was made in 2006, etc

Just thought you guys might like to know so it puts the whole argument about synchronized lights into perspective.

Even SCOOT divides up the signals into small groups called "regions" within which the cycle length is continuously optimized within a manually specified range. There is no co-ordination between regions as far as I'm aware, given that each region's cycle length is constantly being changed.

I'm aware that SCOOT has some built-in transit priority algorithms, but my understanding was that they are not used anywhere in the city. Do you have any further information about the implementation of the SCOOT Transit Priority algorithm?

Side note:
What we're discussing is signal co-ordination, where lights change in a controlled order. Synchronization is a very specific form of co-ordination where the lights change at the exact same time. An example of synchronization is Yonge/Dundas and Dundas/Victoria, which are physically wired together.

Last edited:
Completely rebuilding – and reconfiguring – a street in a dense urban area is complicated. It’s a bit like preparing a formal dinner with several different courses. As we complete major sections of work, such as sidewalks, stretches of roadway or the streetcar corridor, we re-open those areas for public use. But to continue with the dinner analogy, we’re still working on the final courses and the meal can only fully be enjoyed after we’ve finished dessert.

This is the worst meal I've ever had.

Excitement at Bay and Queens Quay this morning! A stolen car drove INTO the tunnel. Followed by police.

680NEWs said:
Toronto police have a man in custody after he drove an SUV into the streetcar tunnel at York Street and Queens Quay. The SUV was reportedly travelling at a high rate of speed and didn’t stop until it was deep inside the tunnel. It happened around 7 a.m. A Hazmat unit was called out as a precaution and several cruisers were sent to the scene as a precaution. Police are on heightened alert in the city following Wednesday’s shooting in Ottawa.

streetcar-tunnel2.jpg

Attachments

• streetcar-tunnel2.jpg
    streetcar-tunnel2.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 918
Extending the Martin Goodman Trail along Queens Quay is a signature part of the project. I'm looking forward to it.

Too much GTA 5. You can drive into the LRT tunnels of Los Angeles in that game.

And you can also drive up the banked tunnel walls Men In Black style until you flip and crash. What a game.

Wonder if the car got a parking ticket? If so, it will take more than a couple years before it would get to court.

This is great:

Instead of transitioning to bike lanes on both sides of the road, they are going to continue the south side bi-directional bike lanes west to Statium Rd where the Waterfront trail continues.

So it'll be a continuous south side trail the whole way.

Great news! I hope they figure out a way to make the bikes on Queens Quay to actually stop at the 4-way stops though. Very dangerous for the enevitable car/bike or bike/pedestrian crash. Maybe serious rumble strips or speed bumps for both the bikes and cars at each stop sign?

Waterfront Toronto for the first time did not update the weekly construction update, which is a bit annoying as they are doing the last coat of asphalt on the road sometime this upcoming week.

Back