The streetcar overhead was all up when I walked along QQ today and several TTC crews were hooking up the power. Eastern seem to have tidied up the whole of the streetcar ROW from the Bay portal to Lower Spadina so they really may be ready to start running test streetcars soon and actually making their October 12 deadline.

There is a notice in my building about testing the new street cars next week, on the 7th and 8th from 8pm to 10pm. However it comes with one major issue - the tracks must be dry or else the testing can't happen. The notice is vague as to whether it effects just the new street cars - or testing overall. Looking at the extended forecast, there are only two days over next two weeks without rain (the 8th and 13th), and every day has least 2.5mm of rain or more, so maybe that deadline may be missed.

Testing the new street cars next week, however the tracks must be dry or else the testing can't happen. The notice is vague as to whether it effects just the new street cars - or testing overall.

Overall. The new streetcars can only operate in the dry apparently. Total bummer.

The full text of the notice explains why the track must be dry. Don't panic boys!

Transit Notice

New Streetcar Testing
Spadina/Queens Quay area and tunnel to Union Station
Dates: October 7, 2014 to October 10, 2014
As with all newly purchased revenue vehicles, the TTC is carrying out extensive testing of the new low floor streetcar. Testing is essential to the safe introduction of this new vehicle on our network.
In advance of the resumption of streetcar service along Queens Quay West scheduled for October 12, a test car will be in the Queens Quay area from Tuesday, October 7 to Friday, October 10.
In addition to the testing along Queens Quay West and inside the tunnel to Union Station, the TTC will test the new floor streetcar at the Spadina/Queens Quay loop from approximately 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. on Wednesday, October 8 and Thursday, October 9. The testing requires the lubrication system at the loop to be temporarily shut-off and the track in the immediate vicinity dry of water, so this particular testing is weather permitting. The lubrication system will be shut-off during the day and turned back on at approximately 10 p.m. after the streetcar has departed.
This testing may result in increased noise levels as the streetcar turns through the loop without lubrication. We apologize, in advance, for any inconvenience or disturbance this testing may cause.
The TTC makes every effort to be a considerate neighbour and to minimize the impact on residents that live in close proximately to its operation.
TTC contacts
 Diego Sinagoga, Community Liaison, 416-393-2197; diego.sinagoga@ttc.ca.
 Customer Service, 416-393-3030 (daily 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., closed holidays) or @TTChelps.

Rain, sleet, or snow lubricates the track, reducing the noise as well. They want to test without any natural or artificial lubrication.

Had a look at the ROW today and a lot of wok to be done for next Sat.

The ROW needs a power sweep including the tracks.

The 3 poles support have been rebuilt with post on them west of Spadina.

The overhead is not completed west of Spadina and only a day or 2 to complete the work.

None of the eastbound platforms have ramps and connection to crosswalk.

Need to take a tap measure with me this week to measure the width of the platforms as it looks like there are 4 different size with York St westbound being the only correct width. The eastbound platforms are narrow than the west one with Spadina being the narrows of the lot. No westbound platform at Spadina, but the mesh is there for it now and will take a few days to build it. Not sure if it will have handrail or shelters come Sunday.

Looking at the overhead, it is set for pans as good part has the stagger hangers in place. Some sections that should be stagger and they aren't. Other than having a test area for testing the pans out and changing the stagger after it, no idea why the 2 different setup.

Traffic has a lot of traffic lights to be setup and working before the weekend, otherwise everyone going to fail to obey them even if they saw a streetcar on the ROW. Some spots have new light setup, but not working. Once turn on, the temporary pole and lights can be remove to allow full completion of intersections.

Everyone I talked to who lives on the waterfront did not know the streetcars were returning next weekend. A lot of people using the ROW as a sidewalk since they didn't want to deal with the sidewalk mess.

qEaQQ6Y.jpg

jzTIqdP.jpg

iNnOUQf.jpg

Some parts of Queens Quay are shaping up nicely.

OMmFoRo.jpg

For a second I thought this was public art then I realized they're just utility cuts. There are similar looking markings in the area that actually are public art. Hopefully they end up doing something about it.

NIXqbcw.jpg

For a second I thought this was public art then I realized they're just utility cuts. There are similar looking markings in the area that actually are public art. Hopefully they end up doing something about it.

NIXqbcw.jpg

This patches are as a result of the removal of the metal fishes that were integrated in the concrete of the sidewalk. They were supposed to be installed again and somehow to fit in the new design.

This patches are as a result of the removal of the metal fishes that were integrated in the concrete of the sidewalk. They were supposed to be installed again and somehow to fit in the new design.

Really! Thanks for the clarification.

Back