April 15
5625101840_ff2614c3e5_b.jpg

5625142280_56d2a9c89d_b.jpg

5624553363_432568b269_b.jpg

5624561811_eb5e6bb220_b.jpg

5624604789_837f02b182_b.jpg

5625199226_58a464ca2b_b.jpg

5625197994_92d8610338_b.jpg

The more i view this beast from the south, the more i want something nice built at that corner of Baturst and Front to distract my vision from such ugliness.:eek:

The more i view this beast from the south, the more i want something nice built at that corner of Baturst and Front to distract my vision from such ugliness.:eek:

I agree with you.

This is not a nice looking build and needs to be cover up by a nice looking building next to it on the west side.

I find that black blank wall a very cheap looking after thought, done at the last minute.

It was a bad idea to go with such a dark finish to this building. It is a black monolith. Don't look at it too long or you might see stars.

Just when I think this piece of bunk can't get any worse.....it does. Tridel should be ashamed of themselves.

March 13 2011 update

Previous photo that I forgot about:

IMG_5232.jpg

In all of the criticisms of this building, it is worth remembering that the big black blank west wall is up to the property line and is meant to be hidden away by a coming project to the west. Let's hope that the Minto/Freed project on that spot does not take too long to come into being. In the meantime, no, it won't be pretty to look at, but in half a dozen years once it is hidden away forever, no-one will be upset that some beautiful wall that Tridel spent millions on can no longer be seen.

There is no point in spending a lot on this wall: it will be out of sight and out of mind soon enough.

^ To add to I42's comments above - the Ontario Building Code as well as the city planning department prohibits windows on property lines for obvious privacy reasons - I don't see what the issue is here - it is an infill structure that will likely have the neighbouring property also build to the property line to create a solid streetwall on Front Street West - the only components that will be visible in the long term are the north and south facades... why should the condo purchasers be forced to spend thousands more on their units to fund an more expensive solution to a property line wall that will ultimately be covered by adjacent development.

^ To add to I42's comments above - the Ontario Building Code as well as the city planning department prohibits windows on property lines for obvious privacy reasons - I don't see what the issue is here - it is an infill structure that will likely have the neighbouring property also build to the property line to create a solid streetwall on Front Street West - the only components that will be visible in the long term are the north and south facades... why should the condo purchasers be forced to spend thousands more on their units to fund an more expensive solution to a property line wall that will ultimately be covered by adjacent development.

The first proposal by Minto and Freed completely exposed this wall as there was a linear park running north to south between Front and Niagara. So, no assumptions of any kind should be made.

It's very Star Wars. When I look at this, I'm reminded of that part of Return of the Jedi where the rebels discuss how the Empire has neared completion of a second Death Star even more formidable than the first. And it's shape actually resembles an Imperial Star Destroyer in a way.

Back