News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
The game eventually resumed without any fans permitted to return for the viewing.

Safety of course being a priority, but unfortunate for all the fans who paid for tickets. Hope they get fully refunded at least. Although, still wouldn't fully make up for the lost experience plus other expenses people may incur to watch the game.

Wasnt' sure where to put this, but Larry Tannenbaum of MLSE spoke to the Globe and Mail and dropped this:
Do you have a sense of when Toronto might get a women’s pro soccer team? Or a women’s pro basketball team?
We’re right in the throes of working on that. We’ve got a group within MLSE that is looking strategically how that might might work here, but we are very interested in actually all three: hockey, basketball, and soccer.

Any timeline?
No timeline at the moment,
There was a mention on Twitter a few weeks ago from a WNBA owner about the league "looking at expansion to Toronto" too.

Wasnt' sure where to put this, but Larry Tannenbaum of MLSE spoke to the Globe and Mail and dropped this:

There was a mention on Twitter a few weeks ago from a WNBA owner about the league "looking at expansion to Toronto" too.
I'm all for more options to go watch local professional sports teams.

There is no "too much" - the more entertainment options, the better!

Yes but at some point, someone will suffer. There are only so many teams people can support at once.

This is precisely what happened with the CFL. Once the Blue Jays, Raptors, Rock and TFC came into being the Argos lost a bunch of supporters to the point where there are questions about if they can survive.

Remember, there are currently 8 professional sports teams in Toronto right now total not including WNBA.

I think there is certainly room for a WNBA team in Toronto. We need to manage attendance expectations, maybe they can start to play at coca cola coliseum (formally Ricoh?)

I think there is certainly room for a WNBA team in Toronto. We need to manage attendance expectations, maybe they can start to play at coca cola coliseum (formally Ricoh?)
Yeah, it used to be called Ricoh Coliseum. It's a bit of a backwards place though. It's really old, despite renovations--though even those were 20 years ago now, and that renovation took into account only hockey, which is mostly played on weekends by the Marlies. I don't think there are spare dressing rooms, so they would have to build those out from scratch somewhere. Though on the other hand, it's a short walk from the Raptors practice facility, and maybe they could split that.

I think the more likely spot is Maple Leaf Gardens where Ryerson has played basketball before. It would cost lease income, but not much in the grand scheme of expenses for a WNBA team.

ryerson-during-basketball.jpg

Yes but at some point, someone will suffer. There are only so many teams people can support at once.

This is precisely what happened with the CFL. Once the Blue Jays, Raptors, Rock and TFC came into being the Argos lost a bunch of supporters to the point where there are questions about if they can survive.

Remember, there are currently 8 professional sports teams in Toronto right now total not including WNBA.
That's pretty much true. In the bigger picture, over the last 45 years Toronto transformed from a small-money Canadian pro sports market -- Leafs (NHL head office in Montreal) and Argos -- to a big-money American pro sports market -- Leafs (NHL head office in New York since 1989), Raptors and Jays. The Argos, TFC, Rock (who now play in Hamilton despite still being called Toronto) and anything else are niche teams.

MLSE just tried to buy the Chelsea soccer team, and there were informal merger talks about a year ago between MLSE and Fenway Sports. It's all about chasing the dollar now, and the American kind, not ours.

From what I read (don't recall where) there are six cities including Toronto vying for two WNBA expansion teams.

Back