If I could short a building like shorting a stock, I'd short this building! Will turn into a nursing dorm imo...

You know, that's not a bad thing... ;-)

But seriously... The hell kinda rent are you going to charge for a 540 sqft condo that you paid $360K for?

What a shame for this to come down. I wish I had gone in it now during Doors Open! More Toronto history gone.

Now, what's going to happen in the design of this building? All of the current renders show this building as part of the design. I hope they don't recreate it, because that so rarely ever turns out well.

Sadly the history was largely ruined when it was allowed to crumble apart by its owners and the exterior plastered up.

Don't get me wrong, I entirely agree with you. It's a shame to lose that... especially those interior spaces, filled with history. :(

I maintain that this hysterical preservation is as misguided as the John Lyle facade at 1 Bedford. In the case of Lyle, that facade could have been moved to our utopian Facade District, whereas this facade, while not actually preservable, will be recreated under a modern building that looks like it is stepping on it.

The only successful historic incorporation of this kind that comes to my mind in this city is that of the Stock Exchange where it is clearly bridged over by the Ernst & Young Tower.

So it's going to be rebuilt using new materials? Ugh. And the tower does look like it's stepping on it, rather than acknowledging it.

With all the current demolition of existing structures making way for new buildings, I was considering how the hazardous material and "pest" problem is handled..

This is the City of Toronto demolition permit: http://www.toronto.ca/building/forms/Demolition_Permit_Application_Checklist.pdf

It clearly states that concerning Enivormental Conditions, "The Occupational Health and Safety Act requires the identification of Desiganted Substances and Hazardous Materials on construction sites. Hazardous Materials are defined under the act to include a long and complete list of over 800 biological, radioactive, and chemical agents under the provisions of the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)."

At top howver, it states that: "It is often difficult for a building contractor to determine whether contaminated substances are present....The information requirements prescribed in The City of Toronto Municipal Code, Chapter 363, will be of assistance..."

This is The The City of Toronto Municipal Code, Chapter 363: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/municode/1184_363.pdf

Interesting stuff with details about hoarding/fencing requirements, anti-vibration codes, designation zones, rights of entry etc, etc...
I couldn't find any mention of pest control and I highly doubt that a thorough check for all hazardous materials is conducted before demolition begins. I get the feeling that the "Rules" are only loosely enforced and that they focus specifically on structures that may have had a previous use where hazardous materials might have been present.
I suppose the rats, roaches and bedbugs just "move next door" so to speak.

Anyway, interesting stuff concerning the whole process and why sometimes the pre-construction/re-developement process may seem to drag on.

it's sad that the developer didn't save any of the stone work of that house.
there's people that will pay good money for those columns, or at least the decortive capitals.
they really pulverized that house.

i always thought it was kind of pretty.... it could have used a touch up but it would have been nice to include it somehow into the condo

RCMICornerStone006.jpg

Back