February 20 2010 update

View of CN Tower
IMG_2092-1.jpg

Windows almost at the top~
IMG_2093-1.jpg

In that first shot of the Ritz, it looks pretty much complete! (aside from the upper floors)! The glass is super reflective too! :D

more

[video=youtube;69VE8txtz40]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69VE8txtz40[/video]

sany18921.jpg

Cal,

A couple of notes.

1) You sound exactly like me. And I mean, exactly! It's uncanny.

2) Slight criticism. The "uh" is a bit distracting. I have the same problem sometimes.

3) Awesome. Thanks for this.

I don't know if it's me but one thing has been overshadowed in this tread. The fact is SIMCOE PLACE is architectually much better building than both RBC and RITZ. Let me know what you think guys.......

I don't know if it's me but one thing has been overshadowed in this tread. The fact is SIMCOE PLACE is architectually much better building than both RBC and RITZ. Let me know what you think guys.......
I think the Simcoe tower and glass are better, but it's too short.

The podiums on RBC and Ritz blow Simcoe away.

Cal,

A couple of notes.

1) You sound exactly like me. And I mean, exactly! It's uncanny.

2) Slight criticism. The "uh" is a bit distracting. I have the same problem sometimes.

3) Awesome. Thanks for this.
Yes I say "uh" alot. Force of habbit I guess. Glad you like the updates though, I'll try and catch some of the other projects around town as well...Btw. we might be long lost relatives...or something. ha!

I think the Simcoe tower and glass are better, but it's too short.

The podiums on RBC and Ritz blow Simcoe away.

I remember waaaay back when Simcoe Place was being built, that it was the first (and shorter) of two towers intended for that spot. If memory serves, the second tower had identical floor plates and cladding yet 40 something floors high. I remember seeing the renders back then somewhere. The second tower fronted Wellington and was approximately 200 meters tall. The podium continued under both towers and was massive.

Since that was in the pre-internet days, I wonder if there are any renders still floating around. It would be interesting to compare them to what we got instead.

Letdown....

In my opinon both the RBC and Ritz are letdowns. Mostly for the office tower just being a box though it has very nice glass and Ritz having a unique shape but bland cladding. They dropped the ball on this. Big disappointment....

I remember waaaay back when Simcoe Place was being built, that it was the first (and shorter) of two towers intended for that spot. If memory serves, the second tower had identical floor plates and cladding yet 40 something floors high. I remember seeing the renders back then somewhere. The second tower fronted Wellington and was approximately 200 meters tall. The podium continued under both towers and was massive.

Since that was in the pre-internet days, I wonder if there are any renders still floating around. It would be interesting to compare them to what we got instead.

Yeah, I remember someone posting a picture of the original site plan model. There were three Simcoe clones -- one was sitting on the RBC Dexia site perpendicular to the original, and a white tower (denoting a hotel) was on the Ritz site parallel to the original. It was probably posted in the RBC Dexia thread.

Last edited:
In my opinon both the RBC and Ritz are letdowns. Mostly for the office tower just being a box though it has very nice glass and Ritz having a unique shape but bland cladding. They dropped the ball on this. Big disappointment....

Agreed. More of the " Toronto style ", which isn't at all bad, but it's about time this city elaborated from the box. I see no reason to cheerlead for the current crop of elongated cubes, just because " box " has been pushed a few stories higher.
Here's hoping the next generation of landmark buildings downtown will demonstate some thinking outside the comfortable " box ".

I've been watching with much anticipation to see the roof completed, however can't believe how long it has taken to get this far??

I've been watching with much anticipation to see the roof completed, however can't believe how long it has taken to get this far??

I agree... I mean, steel construction is suppose to be much faster than this... But i guess there are complexities with building this thing...

I plan on doing updates on smaller projects this weekend.

So enjoy this video from last sunday

[video=youtube;lAnkh_uW-E4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAnkh_uW-E4[/video]

Back