June 26

Web Cam: http://ritzcamera.compsys.to/view/index.shtml

From Front St. the tower is starting to rise above the podium.
From the RBC web site:

June 2008
Construction continues on schedule. Concrete slabs are being poured for floor levels 26, 27, 28 and 29. Forming and pouring of the sixth and seventh floor slab in the north podium area will be completed. Curtain wall installation in the tower continues on levels 18, 19, 20 and 21 and will commence on the podium area. Elevator installation will continue in the high rise, mid rise and service elevator banks. Mechanical and electrical trades will continue with their rough ins throughout the tower floors including lighting, fire alarm and sprinkler systems. Concrete block and drywall board installation will continue on the tower office floors at the washrooms and elevator shafts, elevator lobbies and stairwells. The adjacent Ritz-Carlton project will complete the third floor podium slab pour and is starting the fourth and fifth tower slab floors.

I think you are right... it should speed up significantly once they are just working on the tower portion as it has a significantly smaller floor plate than RBC.

great to see that little parkette full of life!

According to that, the tower has already started.

This one might rise a little slower. The forms will have to be adapted to allow the tower to expand outwards on the south side.

They could use a slip-form similar to what was used to build the CN Tower... however they would have to start at the top and build down.

toronto-cn-tower_18703.jpg

They could use a slip-form similar to what was used to build the CN Tower... however they would have to start at the top and build down.

That I'd like to see....building a skyscraper from the top to the bottom.

There's at least one in London recently that was sort of torn down from bottom to top. The floors were taken down from bottom up while the core remained. Then the core was torn down from top down.

The reason why is that said skyscraper was built from top to bottom; so, demolition reversed the method of construction.

Maybe the best-known Canadian example of such construction is Vancouver's Westcoast Transmission Building (now Qube)

Driving past it today I was taken by how narrow the building is. I think it's going to end up looking remarkably slender and elegant by the time it's done.

Back