Great photos. THanks for the update!

That now hiring sign. Is that for the hotel, or construction?

Thanks for the photos. I think these will both be handsome buildings and I like the way they are turning out.

Maybe on the tower portion, but the podium section, fronting onto Wellington, still has quite a bit more work. There still are several floors to build and they will be intricate and take a bit longer. The sixth floor complete took at least 2-3 weeks. I am looking forward to it rise more, and quicker. Once the podium section is done, the tower will rise fast due to the smaller floorplates.

Is the podium going to be built with steel or concrete? Looks like the concrete stopped at the 2nd floor and the tower portion continued to be poured.

I had a feeling the podium was going to be like a fish bowl, with very little concrete obstruction into/or out of/ the interior space.

As interesting as the project is, I can't help but to be a little concerned about the street level integration. Having these massive support columns and the cantilevered structure can create a really oppressive experience if not handled well.

re: podium

I would suspect steel - it's lighter, for one.

AoD

I think you're right, AoD, but I'm not sure it's a bad thing. That entrance space is going to wind up hemmed in on both sides as well as above, creating a foreboding, forbidding, rarefied entranceway.

If it's lit properly, both from above and from within the building, it won't necessarily be oppressive. Nor might it oppress people passing by on the street, unless they should presume to set their grubby feet upon its premises. If we're going to have a five-star hotel, why not do it in style?

(Of course, there will always be those who want to be repressed...)

July 30

The cantilevered podium section facing Wellington.
2721676348_dc05d442ea_b.jpg

2721676358_1bc478b658_b.jpg

2721676366_751c9d227c_b.jpg

I am sure that the engineers involved in the project know what they are doing, but the sight of those concrete cantilever beams makes me uneasy. Concrete is great under compression, but not so great under tension, and those beams have to be under a considerable amount of tension, especially at their bases, where they meet the vertical pillars and the load being transmitted along them tends to pull them away from the vertical pillars. (If you visualize the forces involved , they would "want" to snap the cantilever beams off at their bases) I would imagine that the cantilever beams at that critical junction are HEAVILY reinforced with rebar (or something stronger).

Back