When I first saw the renders of RBC and Ritz I thought that they were almost twins, maybe not identical twins, but at least fraternal twins. Now, it's starting to seem like they will not be particularly similar looking, which is fine with me. I do think that Ritz will be the better-looking of the two.

When I first saw the renders of RBC and Ritz I thought that they were almost twins, maybe not identical twins, but at least fraternal twins. Now, it's starting to seem like they will not be particularly similar looking, which is fine with me. I do think that Ritz will be the better-looking of the two.

Very true, and once more information is released about the development to the north of the park (*did he just say that - oh yes he did!*), this will be quite the little urban oasis.

Very true, and once more information is released about the development to the north of the park (*did he just say that - oh yes he did!*), this will be quite the little urban oasis.

Which park? Metro Place or the little square by Simcoe Place?

He must mean Metro Place, as the other park has no more space to the north of it.

I should have worn brown pants.

I assume that's a reference to that dingy little lot on the North side of King?

What I would really like to see is an expansion to RTH that brings the building out closer to Wellington. I know that every building needs to have a backside, I just wish theirs were set up a little more nicely toward Wellington. Like maybe they could make it so their loading facilities shared the entrance to the underground garage, and then they could put a nice little pavilion onto Wellington.

I do think that Ritz will be the better-looking of the two.

I agree with you on that... what makes all the difference is it's non-box shape - the south side angling out as it gets higher and the sloped roofline. Very similar infact to the shape of the monolith in your avatar. It remains to be seen what colour the glass actually turns out to be.

No Kidding, Nothing special about the boxy RBC building.

Nothing? The notches, the wedge, the see-through corners, the fritted glass sections? None of that registers for you?

And its the least 'boxy' of all the commercial developments being built or proposed.

That and both the RBC and Ritz have been designed by one of the top firms building skyscrapers around the world - KPF (Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates). I think RBC is going to turn out as the most understated, clean and elegant of the current crop of office towers going up.

Yeah, RBC has a lot of interesting details going for it and is certainly more than a box. The two towers will be very complimentary.

it all seems pretty underwhelming to me so far (design wise). And looking at the renderings, that pointy little cap it's supposed to get along the east roofline seems very North York to me...

I'll grant you that the renderings for this project were actually pretty bad, and that so far it is all turning out better than I had imagined it would be based on the expectations they created for me. That's making me hopeful that the top will be better too - I agree that it did not look impressive in the render.

July 28, 2008

DSC03331.jpg

DSC03339.jpg

Back