great pics, current! drove by this tonight, maybe it's the shape of the podium, but this one is really starting to have an impressive presence along Wellington....

Actually, this is technically in the Entertainment District, along with the RBC Centre.

That's quite correct, but it brings up an interesting point. Boundaries tend to change over a long period of time. The financial district is beginning to breach its traditional footprint. RBC is a full block west of University and Telus is south of the tracks.

What is considered the financial district in 20 years will probably occupy a larger area than what we consider it to be today. Where RBC sits will probably still be the Entertainment District, but the Financial District will probably stretch further south than it does now.

maybe it's the shape of the podium, but this one is really starting to have an impressive presence along Wellington....

Saw it from an east angle today and the podium is starting to look very imposing... holds its own next to CBC.

The entire (new) streetwall along the south side Wellington is downright muscular.

I walked by this last night so it got me thinking about the construction time per floor. For a building like this that slopes out, would it take much longer to build a floor than a building like bay-adelaide where every floor is pretty much the same template?
I figure it would take longer but I'm curious if it's a lot longer or just a tiny bit.
Anyone know?

B-A would not be the most appropriate comparison since it has a steel skeleton as opposed to concrete. For that reason, no, it will not rise as fast as B-A. It would be comparable, I think, to most residential high-rises such as Success, Murano, Casa, etc. I don't think the increase in the size of the floor plates (as a result of the cantilevering) will add any significant amount of time to construct each floor, except maybe where it starts to get larger. After the first increase in floor plate, then i think it will go up at the same speed.

B-A would not be the most appropriate comparison since it has a steel skeleton as opposed to concrete. For that reason, no, it will not rise as fast as B-A. It would be comparable, I think, to most residential high-rises such as Success, Murano, Casa, etc. I don't think the increase in the size of the floor plates (as a result of the cantilevering) will add any significant amount of time to construct each floor, except maybe where it starts to get larger. After the first increase in floor plate, then i think it will go up at the same speed.

Ah, right. I only picked B-A because it was the most uniform floor plan I could think of quickly. I never stopped to think about materials and the like. Thanks for the reply. I'm anxious to see this one rise! :D

That's quite correct, but it brings up an interesting point. Boundaries tend to change over a long period of time. The financial district is beginning to breach its traditional footprint. RBC is a full block west of University and Telus is south of the tracks.

What is considered the financial district in 20 years will probably occupy a larger area than what we consider it to be today. Where RBC sits will probably still be the Entertainment District, but the Financial District will probably stretch further south than it does now.

Yeah, I actually agree with this. My comment was mostly made as 'Mr. Smart Guy'. Between RBC with its office and Ritz with its hotel/residential components, it seems a perfect natural transition from financial to entertainment. Besides, I believe Simcoe Street is the official boundary line, so it's barely a stone's throw away as it is.

Feb. 06

3260266105_131be0eea6_o.jpg

3260265929_641b27349c_o.jpg

The glass looks very green, no?

Man that side of the convention centre is so ugly.

They should paint it with some graphics. Huge exposure to the Gardiner.

Like Welcome to Toronto or something.

I remember back when the Skydome was built. There was a huge concern about building a stadium downtown because of the traffic and the lack of parking since the dome took the whole site. They justified the location by adding up all the parking spaces in surrounding parking lots and found there were plenty of parking spaces for fans to use. All those parking lots now either have towers built or under construction. My favourite parking lot is where the Ritz is now going up and when going to a Jays game, it was so easy to park where 300 Front will be going. I guess soon we'll all have to buy a condo so we can see a game.

Back