I think the south side will end up looking good once the setback starts. From the renderings it looks like they take the same cladding from the sides to wrap the south side. Lets wait till its progressed a bit more before writing it off.

Why they didnt use the same colored cladding from the front beats me. Maybe to blend in to the surrounding buildings in the area, which were ugly to begin with in the first place. Not a good strategic decision.

In agreement, the south sides has been a big disappointment so far. Especially considering that this was one of the most anticipated buildings of the boom. Fat horizontal lines of off-colored pre-cast, yay... :(

I'll wait till the podium is finished before passing judgment on that part.
I'd hardly call the horizontal lines of pre-cast fat. I think everyone's making too big a deal of this. It's just one, relatively minor detail of a much larger building overall. Be patient.

Didn't mean to sound like i'm writing it off just yet, I too have high hopes after they go above the set-back level.
And the lines of pre-cast aren't really 'that fat'. But there's just something about the combination of glass & pre-cast that in this case looks a bit off, imo.

img7367.jpg

The pretty side is revealed!

There's something about it (the whole thing, north and south sides) that I just don't like. The horizontal lines seem too strong, almost to the point of being overpowering. Hopefully the sheer verticality of the structure itself will compensate when the building is finished.

Back