I still like the Ritz overall, though its mishmash south facade is still a little perplexing. What they should've done was clad all of the floors up to the sky lobby with that interesting, randomly patterned glass. The way they treated the midsection pictured above really contrasts poorly with everything else.

I decided to edit my post with what I'd have liked to see.

ritzedit.jpg

Credit goes to Tuscani01 for the source image.

Last edited:
Thanks, you are too kind. Perhaps one day if/when I become extremely successful, I'll start buying up high profile properties and remaking them into what could have been, or restoring them to their former glory.

First on my hit list is the CN Tower. Its concrete really needs to be refinished, it's on the path to becoming as embarrassing as FCP.

I really like what you did. That does look very good.

As for the CN Tower. You are very right. It is becoming embarrassing. It has been for a while, with all it's cracks and patches.

They did an excellent job of reviving the CN Tower with the LED lights. It has a brand new life. I think that if they clad the CN Tower in white glass panels, it would look amazing! Refinishing in concrete wouldn't do too much viewed from far.

Speaking of that glass...

The original keeps reminding me of something but I couldn't think of what it was. Then that render kind of sparked something and I did a search.

I think the glass is actually a pattern that cell phones can read. They are called 'mobile barcodes'. The joke is probably on all of us. It probably says some giant swear word or something.

(Original can be found at http://francisanderson.wordpress.com/2008/03/22 )

$150/night at the Ritz? You've got to be kidding. Sheraton Centre on Queen was starting at $225 per night a few Fridays ago, and there is a 2 person maximum for their rooms. A deluxe suite was $450/night. Rates at the Ritz will not dip to such levels.

+1 RC is not hotel inn lol

I'm really surprised that they haven't taken the tower crane down yet. I'm curious to see how they're going to set up the derrick now that so much of the slope is up.

Significant progress on the slant! great shots! I think they'll leave the crane up until they've finished placing 99% of the steel... Unless they install a smaller crane or somethin...

Can't wait to see this roof clad in glass! gonna be sweeeeeeet!

^ Actually, you've just inadvertently answered a question I had: Why does the slant not seem to end on the tip of the building? Instead there seems to be a good couple of feet of flat space at the edge. I suppose there will be an "ice catcher" on the end of the slant and melting mechanism along the roof to minimize accumulation.

Back