Like a seniors residence for buildings? Not every senior wants to be corraled together to convalesce. I say keep the mish-mash of young upstarts and grumpy old men together. Districts where everything is of the same age are nearly always duller.

Religion: Jane Jacobs is God
Gospel: Neighbourhoods needs buildings of different ages.

Do we have any blasphemous Martin Luther’s among us?

I would almost say that King's Court got it right, I actually think the varied massing of that building lets the little corner bank come to life, except instead of the bank building being commercial, it's just part of the lobby of the building, so I find it instead intensely disappointing.

And in turn, the deference to the corner bank bites back to make the whole thing look jarringly awkward--esp. when compared to Mozo across the way.

I think if anything "got it right", it's the Yonge side of BCE--even though Babel's knocked it for its introversion. (But that's the fault of Richtree, not of the design. Look at the magazine store for proof.)

RichmondAdelaide3-June1,06(.jpg

Today's issue of Novae Res Urbis states that:

"After nearly 15 years without a significant downtown
office development, real estate analysts say that there may
be hope on the high-rise horizon. Cadillac-Fairview,
which has secured the Royal Bank as a lead tenant, is set
to begin construction on its $400-million office tower at
Wellington and Simcoe streets sometime this summer.
Meanwhile Oxford Properties (100 Adelaide Street West)
and Brookfield Properties Corporation
(Bay-Adelaide
Centre at 10-30 Adelaide Street West) have proposed two
more developments, representing an additional investment
of about $410-million between them.

If all three towers go ahead, about 3.1-million square
feet of office space will be added to the downtown core,
representing a 5.3 per cent increase in office space."

I think that part of what makes a city, or dense urban area interesting, is precisely how it does tend to evolve in layers of differing styles, ages and scales. Similarly, that a particular building may evolve in the same way - a victorian remnant here and a modern addition there - is dynamic and creates visual interest, if not architectural or stylistic purity. Still, where's the harm? The richness of the urban architectural fabric will no doubt also include any number of extraordinary examples of pure forms, so it's all good. As for the orphan at Yonge and Queen, I view it differently: Rather than viewing it as isolated and abandoned, I like to think of it as just simply having evolved, or "grown" into a new stage of its development, "matured" so to speak into a new form and new incarnation with a new purpose and a new relevance. Where is the harm in that? Granted it may not be to one's aesthetic liking, and it may no longer be pure and unadulterated, but the parts of it that remain, whether restored or original, do live on, re-envisioned as part of a newer, larger whole, reconnected with its surroundings. Would pure restoration have left better alone? Would moving the building to save it in its initial integrity have been better? Other valid approaches surely, but in the absense of specific historic or architectural significance any of these options would have been valid.

(in the picture) it appears a new brick facade is being constructed where the Winston Building is being demolished (why would Oxford do that if they plan on demolishing the tower)

^ I don't think that is a new wall. Rather its an old wall being exposed for the first time in a long while if ever.

If it's "new brick", it's simply a token measure to cover up unsightly substructure. Y'know, like when they remove a cancerous growth from your leg, they don't leave the bones and sinews exposed...

They could have done what Stinson did at the old TD building - just asphalt over the gaps.

Back