4.8K     0 

M II A II R II K

Member Bio
Reaction score
Toronto Rises as the New Capital of Cool

July 20, 2010

Lauri Lyons

xi7MR.gif

Read More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lauri-lyons/toronto-rises-as-the-new_b_632271.html

If your idea of Canada is dominated by maple syrup, hockey, flannel shirts or the G-20 Summit, it's time to discover Toronto as the new capitol of Cool. Toronto boasts a population of five million people, 200 ethnic groups and 130 languages. Each year the city absorbs approximately 50,000 immigrants, making it Canada's largest city and surprisingly one of the most culturally diverse communities in North America.

Although the Toronto skyline is dotted with a dizzying array of towering glass residential developments, it is the renewal of the once dodgy but now trendy West Queen, Ossington and King West neighborhoods that have visitors buzzing about the galleries, custom clothing boutiques, restaurants and specialty stores. As a reference consider these districts to be Toronto's Brooklyn. The best way to get an insider's view of these neighborhoods is to take a tour with Betty Ann Jordan of InSite walking tours. Betty Ann, a former art journalist, has an all access pass to the young entrepreneurs responsible for the revitalization of these areas.

Moving further along you will discover the beating heart of the city lies in Kensington Market, Little Italy, Chinatown, Little Portugal, Greektown, and Little India. It is in these neighborhoods that you will see, feel and taste the vibrant mash-up of globalization and daily life coming together. If you really want to feel the beat, stick around for the ultimate street party Caribana, one of the largest Caribbean carnivals in the world. Caribana takes place July 30-August 1st. To make use of the mild summer and early fall temperatures, Canadians have ingeniously packed their events calendar full of outdoor festivals. The festival organizers have strategically designed the programs to foster a new creative hub for art enthusiasts of all levels. By doing so, they have discovered that arts and music festivals attract an international crowd of repeat visitors.

As a return on their investment, the city of Toronto receives cutting edge art, innovative cultural programs and most importantly, art tourism dollars that trickle down to all sectors of the local economy. The key to making this equation work is strong community outreach. Instead of maintaining the mystic of art as being exclusive and indecipherable, the Canadians have literally taken the arts to the streets. The annual Luminato Festival recently showcased ten days of city wide performances, exhibitions, and artist talks.

2010-07-12-cntower.jpg

2010-07-12-ossingtoncarolync.jpg

2010-07-12-caribana.jpg

2010-07-12-food.jpg

Toronto does seem to the place to be now. I'm guessing part of the investment into new construction (and re-construction), the chic factor that it is getting with all the new luxury hotels/condos, the growth in the airport of new airlines and destinations, the restaurant scene is shifting for the better, and the economy that is playing to Canada and Bay Street's strength.

I live south of the border in the Western New York region, but I love that Toronto is just a 1.5 hrs away.

I think the cool moniker was thrown around ever since the Times of London declared Toronto an A-list city and Nota Bene Magazine devoted a whole issue to the city back in early 2000's. But then again i remember cool being thrown around back in the 90's as well.

anyhoo, this is great publicity for the city nevertheless. But i think the Huffington Post should rename itself as I love everything about Canada Post or least do a HuffPostCanada or HuffPOstToronto verison, which is not surprising considering its lefty leanings.

Last edited:
Argh, ancient photo of Toronto in the article. Wikipedia strikes again?

"Believe it or not, Torontonians refer to food as 'the art that feeds people'."
Groan, cough, barf. WTF?

Seriously, it is always great to see positive publicity for our city, but like most travel-related journalism, it fails to really capture what is going on here, but probably gets it a little better than most I've read.

Last edited:
It's amusing how many Canadians can't spell theatres

You misunderstand? The Capitol is a particular building in DC (houses Congress). People use capitol when they mean capital, and it's just wrong. I vaguely tolerate misspellings like theater because they are accepted spellings somewhere. Every English teacher in the world will underline 'capitol' when used to mean 'capital'.

You misunderstand? The Capitol is a particular building in DC (houses Congress). People use capitol when they mean capital, and it's just wrong. I vaguely tolerate misspellings like theater because they are accepted spellings somewhere. Every English teacher in the world will underline 'capitol' when used to mean 'capital'.
If everyone spells it wrong ... it is wrong? Though is it really wrong? They didn't say Toronto is the capitol of Ontario; they said it is the capitol of cool. If you look in the OED the primary definition of capitol is "A citadel on the head or top of a hill" and it does allow for this use to be figurative with the example "Greet their great victor in his capitol.". Perhaps this usage the author was trying to use.

Spelling theater is just plain wrong.

If everyone spells it wrong ... it is wrong? Though is it really wrong? They didn't say Toronto is the capitol of Ontario; they said it is the capitol of cool. If you look in the OED the primary definition of capitol is "A citadel on the head or top of a hill" and it does allow for this use to be figurative with the example "Greet their great victor in his capitol.". Perhaps this usage the author was trying to use.

Spelling theater is just plain wrong.

Theater is perfectly acceptable, even in Canadian English, as long as you're consistent. Capitol though is wrong and not the word they were looking for. I find a lot of Americans write capitol when they mean capital.

And yeah if enough people write something one way, then that'll be considered correct, to an extent. Some spellings are just more wrong than others. "It's" and "Its" are often misspelt, but that doesn't mean if enough people use them wrong we should change their meanings!

Last edited:
It may be acceptable, but it's just plain wrong.

And what exactly makes it wrong? If it's accepted by scholars worldwide as a different spelling of the same word then it's perfectly fine.
Stop assuming your way is the right way.

As for the article, i can't understand what she means by this:
"As a reference consider these districts to be Toronto's Brooklyn."
Is she comparing Queen and King West and Ossington to Brooklyn? If she is, she needs to take a closer look.

And what exactly makes it wrong? If it's accepted by scholars worldwide as a different spelling of the same word then it's perfectly fine.

As for the article, i can't understand what she means by this:
"As a reference consider these districts to be Toronto's Brooklyn."
Is she comparing Queen and King West and Ossington to Brooklyn? If she is, she needs to take a closer look.

Seriously. I always thought it those districts were Toronto`s Toronto... but I guess the silly NYC comparisons are needed to help Americans understand that those districts are artsy and have a strong hipster presence.

Speaking of Americans... who says they`re the only ones that make the capitol-capital error. Canadians do it all the time.

And what exactly makes it wrong?
What makes wandering around with your pants at your needs, and your underwear hanging out wrong? It's just wrong ...

I never said my way is the right way! There's a difference between not right and wrong. You may want to consider the definition of wrong I am using ... :)

Oxford Canadian English Dictionary: Theatre is correct; Capitol is wrong. End of discussion.

As for the article: it's painful how uncool the article is. Not that I would go to the HuffPo for "cool" news, but it definitely gives off the feeling of a Dad putting on a leather car coat and calling it "cool." Toronto is considered hip, but is definitely not the capital of anything - unlike Montreal five years ago. I have a feeling 2014 is our year.

It also seems like the whole piece was written with one eye on wikipedia and with a vague memory of a trip from five years ago. No specific items that could be considered particular or different. Just vague blandness.

Back