FYI - they're old and probably not representative of the final cladding currently going up.

re: Kerr Hall - I can bet you the building is a horrible energy hog, with single pane windows, drafts, bad HVAC. It should be rebuilt.

AoD

I love this building thus far, but for some reason it always puts me in mind of this image:

lisa-needs-braces.jpg

Attachments

• lisa-needs-braces.jpg
    lisa-needs-braces.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,321
I'm glad it's blocking that ugly building behind it that looks like a parking garage.

FYI - they're old and probably not representative of the final cladding currently going up.

re: Kerr Hall - I can bet you the building is a horrible energy hog, with single pane windows, drafts, bad HVAC. It should be rebuilt.

AoD

That building can probably be retrofitted to fix those issues. I don't see why it must be torn down.

That building can probably be retrofitted to fix those issues. I don't see why it must be torn down.

The land is underused, that's why Kerr Hall needs to go. It's a massive block they have, and the current building setup doesn't maximize that space as much as it could. The Ryerson Master Plan is focused on Urban Intensification

Here is the Master Plan rendering for Kerr Hall. Look at the tall glass tower in the back. Look at the large scale podium. Compare the current Kerr Hall to the new "proposed" rendering, and you'll see why so many want the current Kerr Hall to go.

2009_03_16RyersonKerrHalla.jpg

Ugh, it's a nice building but I prefer if most institutional buildings were built in older, traditional architectural styles. Kerr Hall is really the only large scale building at Ryerson that's of old age.

Demolishing Kerr Hall would be pretty wasteful when there are lots of upgrades that could be performed to the existing structure.

Demolishing Kerr Hall would be pretty wasteful when there are lots of upgrades that could be performed to the existing structure.

Except that Ryerson is space-starved, and there aren't all that many sites available for development.

Kerr Hall's central facade with the clocktower that faces Bond Street is conservative but has attractive architecture. It should be preserved.

Agree - though the interior of that section of the building is another matter entirely.

AoD

I don't see kerr hall being demolished for another 10 to 15 years, Ryerson still owns a ton of parking lots in the area to expand on. They won't really be looking at that seriously until They build the health sciences and science buildings, which prbably wont be completed for anther 6-7 years.

Back