It feels great when Toronto sets the standard for something related to urbanism like preservation, which we have for historic landmark arenas with Maple Leaf Gardens. It's a proud civic accomplishment which was achieved with both the private sector and a public institution's support. The exterior restoration and adaptive reuse of the Gardens is wonderful, with a refined grocery store, many instances of historical commemoration inside, and a new arena where one can see the top of the original structure and the seats to continue the hockey tradition at the grassroots level and allow the public to enjoy the building for events. The national metropolis has appropriately set the standard for preserving the temples of Canada's game.

Forget about the outside entrance. Pretty sure I've got a better photo, that being on the inside. Behold: ice has returned to the Gardens!

AyF3aquCEAIWmoQ.jpg:large

Mattamy Home "Ice" - brilliant!

I hope there is some kind of ceremony to commemorate the first game. Glad to see a hockey temple with a history as storied as MLG continue to see use

I hope there is some kind of ceremony to commemorate the first game. Glad to see a hockey temple with a history as storied as MLG continue to see use

Especially considering 4 of the other O6 cathedrals of hockey were demolished and the most storied of them all was turned into a half-assed mall.

I saw a gathering by Ryerson with the hockey team and a Zamboni - had to be prepress to something. When is there supposed to be a grand opening open house?

Also, of note, this will be the brand new home of the Toronto Gay Hockey League, after spending years at York University.

Now what about using it for Pride Week events and concerts? I think it would be a perfect venue for that. You can't beat that location.

I thought MLG had limitations on running concerts in the building? But then I also thought they weren't allowed to play hockey there either, so who knows. It would be great for the neighbourhood to have events running in the Gardens again, I'm sure the local bars/restaurants would love to see it

MLSE has a clause in the sale of MLG to Ryerson/Loblaws that the building not be used "in competition" against the ACC (or Ricoh for that matter). It is an ongoing legal battle just to get the hockey team in there. I can't imagine if there were even something as simple as a small show by locals put on in there what would happen.

Back