Always a good sign when they are accounted for. Good idea personally with all the hoodlums... :) I think in Paris, they leave them out without chains... what a contrast..

I went last night around 6:00 PM and there were actually a lot of people there suntanning, sitting in the chairs, or just walking around, I thought very highly of the space !

Great to know that the space is already well used in spite of the general state of the surrounding areas - it gives confidence that the public spaces along the waterfront will become extremely well used as the district develops.

AoD

I dropped by last night at nine o'clock. The sand was still bright and white in the setting sun, and if the pink umbrellas are illuminated they'll be real purdy ... and candy-sugary-looking. Quite a few people sitting on the Muskoka chairs, and the contrast between them and the Redpath complex was striking - like some sort of Pink Floyd album cover. The promenade in front of Corus was fenced off, so I couldn't see much of my favourite lightning bolt.

Just before I found out here at UT that the lighting at Sugar Beach was temporary, I sent an email to Waterfront Toronto. I got a response which includes some additional details about the lighting:

While the official opening of Canada’s Sugar Beach is not slated until August 9 (at 10:30 am), Waterfront Toronto decided to open the park in time for the July long weekend to give the public a chance to enjoy the whimsical new space while finishing touches are being completed. Over the next few weeks, temporary lights will be replaced, benches installed and the splash pad hooked up to hydro. The permanent park lighting is being designed by West 8 + DTAH. This West 8 + DTAH designed light pole will be adapted slightly for Canada’s Sugar Beach by extending its height to 12 metres (from nine metres) and by adding three snooted lighted fixtures at the top which can be positioned to prevent light glare during concerts and other events.

I am hugely impressed with this project. It certainly augurs well for the potential quality of the rest of the Waterfront Toronto projects. It is extremely exciting to finally see the waterfront coming together after so many years of haggling and inaction.

Tulse:

Indeed - but if you want to know - Federal involvement in terms of funding is slated to end in 2012 at the latest; in addition, in spite of attempts to lobby all three levels of government to allow for WT to raise capital on its' own, so far there is no movement in that area. That's during a time when some of the most spectacular portions of the revitalization process - such as Lower Donlands, Queens Quay Revitalization, Lake Ontario Park, etc are just starting. Clearly citizens must take a more active role in ensuring the momentum of the process isn't lost.

AoD

Last edited:
sb1.jpg

sb2.jpg

sb3.jpg

With just a little more material they could have made these benches 2 way, facing north & south.

sb4.jpg

Fantastic shots, android/cass. This park is turning into an absolute jewel. No need to worry about it being underused--it's charms are enough of a draw all on their own.

I'm concerned by something mentioned upthread about Federal support ending in 2012. I thought there was a billion dollar nest egg for the waterfront established back in 2000 or whenever. Aren't these projects still drawing from that?

It's great that there is now a fantastic spot for admiring the large sugar ships docked by the plant!

Fantastic shots, android/cass. This park is turning into an absolute jewel. No need to worry about it being underused--it's charms are enough of a draw all on their own.

I'm concerned by something mentioned upthread about Federal support ending in 2012. I thought there was a billion dollar nest egg for the waterfront established back in 2000 or whenever. Aren't these projects still drawing from that?

Someone has mentioned the public needs to attentive to make sure the waterfront gets built out to it's full expression. This refreshing park, ( and I hardly noticed the ship until it was noted by BB ), and others to come whet the appetite for more. Also, I am encouraged by the flow of conversation in Urban Toronto on our new and imagined public spaces. Isn't this what's really important, as Toronto evolves into this remarkable waterfront opportunity.

Back