News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The Black community has to lead on this issue. I am half Black and I am so upset with these fools who complain that life is hard. Life was much harder for me but I did not turn to violence or being a thug. I worked my ass off and I made it.

Last edited:
One reason might be that blacks may be disproportionately the victims of crime as well as the perpetrators. We can’t actually know because this information is in the cone of silence. However, anecdotally only, a lot of the murder victims appear black, and a lot of the shooting locations also appear to be majority black neighbourhoods. So, maybe people of all colours should speak up for the greater good because it’s in their self interest.
You do realize the cone of silence isn't protecting civilians or criminals but police who are abusing their power.

Sweeping generalizations are being made here.

Blacks may be more predisposed to committing crimes, but they are also more predisposed to being in poverty. And, I really don't think it is racial nor specific to one cultural group (Jamaicans being named here).

I'd argue this is more about the representation of blacks and black culture in music promoting self-destructive behavior. "Smoke Dawg" the victim of one of these fatal shootings made several references to his street credibility in his music. It was only a matter of time before someone tested his "gangster" so to speak.

Blacks may be more predisposed to committing crimes, but they are also more predisposed to being in poverty. And, I really don't think it is racial nor specific to one cultural group (Jamaicans being named here).
Denying what Jamaica herself sees as a massive societal problem really doesn't help the problem here.

Search Results

Poor parenting contributes to delinquency says ... - Jamaica Observer
www.jamaicaobserver.com/.../Poor-parenting-contributes-to-delinquency-says-commi...
Feb 22, 2017 - Speaking at a JIS 'Think Tank' on February 21, Commissioner Hunter said poor parenting and neglect are two factors that contribute to children ...
Poor parenting blamed for children's behavioural ... - Jamaica Observer
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news...-for-children-s-behavioural-problems_19236550
Nov 1, 2015 - A parenting assessment tool developed and being tested by the National ParentingSupport Commission (NPSC) is proving that lack of ...

Gleaner Crime Forum | Blame the parents ... - Jamaica Gleaner
jamaica-gleaner.com/.../gleaner-crime-forum-blame-parents-westmoreland-stakeholde...
Jan 27, 2018 - Gleaner Crime Forum | Blame the parents - Westmoreland stakeholders say poor parenting must be blamed for youth turning to a life of crime ...

I'd argue this is more about the representation of blacks and black culture in music promoting self-destructive behavior.
The problem long predated this excuse for music. It's just now reaching an even more ridiculous level of slaughter and hate.

Reggae this isn't...

Redux it is:
http://rrj.ca/collateral-damage/

TORONTO WORLD: DRAKE, HALAL GANG, AND THE DIASPORA IN THE 6
DEEP INSIDE THE COMPLICATED RELATIONSHIPS OF A BURGEONING RAP SCENE

MTV NEWS STAFF 03/10/2016
[...]
In recent years, violence in these communities has been linked to neighborhood rivalries. Prior to that, violence was blamed on historic gang disputes (Crips versus Bloods, Crips versus Crips, Sic Thugs versus Bloods and Crips) that spanned decades, as well as a period of intra-racial violence between Jamaicans and Somalis, which has largely passed. There is a discernible new era of pan-African solidarity in today's Toronto, a fuzzy, quixotic premise that often hinges on the feel-good aesthetics of determination and solidarity. It’s imbued with a compulsory sense of “doing it for the culture,” doing it for the sake of black art. It is an era that Drake, as well as artists like K-os, Kardinal Offishall, K’naan, and The Weeknd have all played a part in ushering in.

Largely second-generation Canadians, these new artists from “the 6” showcase their various black identities within their music, exhibiting a certain cultural fluency and familiarity. Somali kids reflexively slip in and out of Jamaican Patois; everyone says "walahi," a Somali corruption of the Arabic word walah; even Egyptian-Canadian artist Ramriddlz claims he’s “no saqajaan” (a saqajaan is the Somali equivalent of a scumbag). Black Toronto slang is a living, breathing reflection of the city's vibrant diasporic community.
[...]
http://www.mtv.com/news/2751598/toronto-world-drake-halal-gang/

Speaking of 'whitewashing'....

Last edited:
Denying what Jamaica herself sees as a massive societal problem really doesn't help the problem here.

There is nothing to suggest the shootings are SPECIFIC to Jamaican descent. They could be of other islands. Also, newspapers writing about what it sees as a problem isn't conclusive evidence or an exhaustive look at crime over HERE.

The word that the newspapers also used is "delinquency" which covers a broad range of crime. There is nothing specific about single parent households leading to gun ownership or gun violence.

There is nothing to suggest the shootings are SPECIFIC to Jamaican descent. They could be of other islands. Also, newspapers writing about what it sees as a problem isn't conclusive evidence or an exhaustive look at crime over HERE.

The word that the newspapers also used is "delinquency" which covers a broad range of crime. There is nothing specific about single parent households leading to gun ownership or gun violence.
You evidently don't realize it, but you're making it look more racial than societal. Time to stop the denial. It's societal.

There is nothing specific about single parent households leading to gun ownership or gun violence.
First you lambaste using the newspapers as a source of information, then do exactly that yourself.

I suggest you Google "single parent family gun violence". (About 12,900,000 results) All sorts of studies by reputable researchers. And some bogus click bait, but that's the challenge of selective reference. I can't be bothered listing them, you deny everything, and then blame it on videos.

Single parenting is not the sole reason, of course, and I never stated it was. It's just characteristic and recurring.

And yes, there's a chance "they could be other islands". In fact, some are denying "Dawg's" Jamaican roots as I type.

Gotta be someone else, fer sure. And let's be very clear on this: Most Jamaicans are wonderful people.

“There’s a hole in your heart if you don’t have a male figure in the home that can guide you and lead you and set a good example for you.

“We know the statistics — that children who grow up without a father are five times more likely to live in poverty and commit crime, nine times more likely to drop out of schools and 20 times more likely to end up in prison. They are more likely to have behavioral problems, or run away from home, or become teenage parents themselves. And the foundations of our community are weaker because of it.”
: -Barack Obama

These stats have long been known. In 1997, The Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency reported that the most reliable indicator of violent crime in a community is the proportion of fatherless families. This is especially true for families with adolescent boys, the most crime-prone cohort. It goes on to state that:

“Children from single-parent families are more prone than children from two-parent families to use drugs, be gang members, be expelled from school, be committed to reform institutions, and become juvenile murderers.”
[...]
https://ivn.us/2015/10/12/the-compl...-between-single-parenting-and-mass-shootings/

Last edited:
The Black community has to lead on this issue. I am half Black and I am so upset with these fools who complain that life is hard. Life was much harder for me but I did not turn to violence or being a thug. I worked my ass off and I made it.

The black community has to lead on what exactly? You seem lost. People need to be held accountable and take responsibility for their own actions. We all play our part. This goes for blacks as well as everyone else.

As I said, does the white community need to take the lead onopuod crisis? The native community needs to take the lead on Suicide? Does the Muslim community need to take the lead when there is a terror attack by a Muslim?

Everything is a direct result of something else. Things don’t just happen one day.

I’ll be sure to stop the next black person I see in the street and ask him where the next black community meeting is being held.

First you lambaste using the newspapers as a source of information, then do exactly that yourself.

I suggest you Google "single parent family gun violence". (About 12,900,000 results) All sorts of studies by reputable researchers. And some bogus click bait, but that's the challenge of selective reference. I can't be bothered listing them, you deny everything, and then blame it on videos.

Single parenting is not the sole reason, of course, and I never stated it was. It's just characteristic and recurring.

And yes, there's a chance "they could be other islands". In fact, some are denying "Dawg's" Jamaican roots as I type.

Gotta be someone else, fer sure. And let's be very clear on this: Most Jamaicans are wonderful people.

https://ivn.us/2015/10/12/the-compl...-between-single-parenting-and-mass-shootings/

Full-disclosure: I am a journalist myself.

My issue wasn't with you citing newspapers but that you were citing Jamaican newspapers to explain crime here in the city of Toronto. I read the Ryerson Review of Journalism article though, and yes I would amend what I said since you did successfully tie the gun violence to the Jamaican community in Toronto. Everything written in the article was well-researched and reputable (well besides the comments made by the PR manager for Carribana but that's another story). I still think representation plays a role as was discussed at length in the aforementioned article.

I just thought because of you vehemently bringing up Jamaica, that you had an agenda.

I just thought because of you vehemently bringing up Jamaica, that you had an agenda.
I do have an agenda. I have some close Jamaican friends, and *they* are the ones most vehement against laying this at the feet of "Blacks". These are the ones complaining about "what Canada has let in" when their own *nuclear families* aren't allowed to join them here.

This is a good part a problem Canada brought on itself, giving favour to those unable to share our values, unable to offer differences that we can admire and learn from, and unwilling to add to our diversity as a strength, and instead perpetuate the problems of Jamaica's ghettos. And a good part of that is due to dysfunctional families. Just talk to Jamaican Cdn women to get an earful on that.

I take issue with some calling this a *Black* problem. It isn't! There's two profound entities who are Black that make life very difficult for the vast majority of wonderful Black folk, many from other islands in the Caribbean where family values are celebrated and happiness the goal of life. And the two 'communities' that are problematic are segments of Jamaicans and Somalians. Of course it isn't them alone. The Mafia isn't entirely Italian either, but until we stop tip-toeing around the obvious, this problem will never get fixed. I despair aspects of it are already irreparable...mostly listening and thinking about what my 'Old School' Reggae friends have to say. We jam, and you can dance to it.

There's no dancing to bullets...or nasty little fuks who need guns as their fashion statement. And the rest of the Black community gets the splatter for the sake of the worthless vermin.

Last edited:
I do have an agenda. I have some close Jamaican friends, and *they* are the ones most vehement against laying this at the feet of "Blacks". These are the ones complaining about "what Canada has let in" when their own *nuclear families* aren't allowed to join them here.

This is a good part a problem Canada brought on itself, giving favour to those unable to share our values, unable to offer differences that we can admire and learn from, and unwilling to add to our diversity as a strength, and instead perpetuate the problems of Jamaica's ghettos. And a good part of that is due to dysfunctional families. Just talk to Jamaican Cdn women to get an earful on that.

I get that. I grew up in "Little Jamaica" in Toronto so I do know those Jamaican women. Gang violence has always been a problem but honestly not to the extent as it is now. There are areas that have gotten better, some worse. I would argue that area has in particular gotten worse over the years.

I take issue with some calling this a *Black* problem. It isn't! There's two profound entities who are Black that make life very difficult for the vast majority of wonderful Black folk, many from other islands in the Caribbean where family values are celebrated and happiness the goal of life. And the two 'communities' that are problematic are segments of Jamaicans and Somalians. Of course it isn't them alone. The Mafia isn't entirely Italian either, but until we stop tip-toeing around the obvious, this problem will never get fixed. I despair aspects of it are already irreparable...mostly listening and thinking about what my 'Old School' Reggae friends have to say. We jam, and you can dance to it.

Somalians are not considered black. They are considered ethnically muslim. The MTV article you posted actually goes over this somewhat. But yes out of other groups they seem to be disproportionately involved in crime.

There's no dancing to bullets...or nasty little fuks who need guns as their fashion statement. And the rest of the Black community gets the splatter for the sake of the worthless vermin.

This statement seems reductive.

You might want to research that a bit more. Race and Ethnicity are not the same. They are Black, as Black as Muslim Nigerians et al. You show traces of racism.

1. I know Somalians - they don't consider themselves Black.
2. Many Somalians look down on black culture. Again, re-read the MTV article that YOU posted.
3. A lot of Somalians have Arab features and genetics.

I never said race and ethnicity are the same. Though I admit this does get confusing. But race is largely a social construct.
Source: https://www.pbs.org/race/000_About/002_04-experts-03-02.htm

Back