TTC logic right here.

I think a great amount of forethought was used when building the Yonge subway. When Yonge first opened, it used 4 car trainsets and the individual cars were significantly shorter than the T1 cars we use today. But they designed the platforms to be much longer than what was needed at the time. They're long enough to hold T1/TR trainsets of 7 cars, which I estimate are about twice as long as the 4 car G-series trainsets used when Yonge first opened. Also, tunnels were built wide enough to accommodate trains that were far wider than what is used in almost all modern metros today and almost certainly wider than any other metro back in the 40s. The result of this forethought is that we can now run some of the widest and longest trainsets used on any metro in the world.

Anyways, I think it's a little ridiculous to blame poor logic on the small downtown station sizes compared to our newer stations. There's no way that the designers back in the 1940s could have known how much they'd be used nearly a century later.

I think they could have known given how Toronto was growing, but they probably didn't think that this nascent metropolitan city would barely expand the subway at all after the first couple of decades and instead focus on maximizing capacity on just the original line.

^ Exactly but a different time. The TTC used to run a profit in those days and could afford to build what it needed. A big change from today.

I agree, I expect in 10 or 20 years this will be as busy as Yonge-Bloor and if there is no room to expand, we would be in a tough spot.:)

Maybe not Yonge-Bloor but probably Yonge-Eglinton. ;)
Although I would've like to seen the Yorkdale GO Bus terminal moved here as part of the construction to create a more integrated solution.

The thought just occurred to me, but based on how flip-floppy Toronto city council is, why not make a petition to change "Pioneer Village" back to "Steeles West"? I just can't stand the name. I can live with Vaughan Metropolitan Centre (although I dislike that it's not consistent with North York Centre and Scarborough Centre), but this one just sounds so provincial it irks me.

I wouldn't mind it if it was Steeles West and underneath it said Black Creek Pioneer Village (same was as Bay says Yorkville underneath), but naming the station that is just dumb.

The thought just occurred to me, but based on how flip-floppy Toronto city council is, why not make a petition to change "Pioneer Village" back to "Steeles West"? I just can't stand the name. I can live with Vaughan Metropolitan Centre (although I dislike that it's not consistent with North York Centre and Scarborough Centre), but this one just sounds so provincial it irks me.

I wouldn't mind it if it was Steeles West and underneath it said Black Creek Pioneer Village (same was as Bay says Yorkville underneath), but naming the station that is just dumb.

I would sign it. Same for VMC -> Vaughan Centre, if it could gain the traction also, though you're right in thinking that Pioneer Village is worse.

Agreed, but I'm worried council will then change the name to "Pioneer Metropolitan Village - University Heights" if it's re-opened.

Also at some point it might be too late since the station itself has the name as part of the building.

Building a new, beautified subway line

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/building-a-new-beautified-subway-line-1.2693480?cmp=rss

Each of the new station designs is dramatically different from the rest, a principle established with the original Spadina line in the 1970s.

Downsview Park Station
Finch West Station
York University Station
Pioneer Village Station
407 Station
Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station

It's insane how massive 407 station looks..

Driving on Steeles and along Jane this past weekend I noticed the structures are up for Pioneer Village Steeles West Station and 407 Station.

Driving on Steeles and along Jane this past weekend I noticed the structures are up for Pioneer Village Steeles West Station and 407 Station.

yessir! They don't look very nice right now, but I'll hold off on a final judgement until all is said and done.

Last edited:

Back