lol. so York U station is currently a giant hole in the ground with a bridge across.

that photo was from early May, but yes.

Steeles West, I mean, um, Pioneer Village, is apparently even further behind. Thus the concern for delays.

York University doesn't have a crossover though, which makes things quicker.

The GO station will be abolished. A new one will be built at Sheppard.
The new one is being built at Sheppard (the new Downsview Park subway station formerly known as Sheppard West). However they've been quiet about whether the old one will go. Is there value in pushing it slightly further north to Steeles?

No need for a Go stop at Steeles if there's a new one coming to Sheppard that's directly connected to the subway.
Even though that's about a 4.5 km drive away, and won't have any parking. As the crow flies, the proposed Concord station at Highway 7 is closer ... but it's still almost a 4 km drive away.

The new one is being built at Sheppard (the new Downsview Park subway station formerly known as Sheppard West). However they've been quiet about whether the old one will go. Is there value in pushing it slightly further north to Steeles?

It's unfortunate the bridge at Steeles isn't wider.

A station could straddle Steeles and have a very good connection to the Steeles bus routes with stops under the bridge.

It's unfortunate the bridge at Steeles isn't wider.

A station could straddle Steeles and have a very good connection to the Steeles bus routes with stops under the bridge.

A connection at Steeles would be great, especially as GO starts to become more of an RER service. No need to force people to transfer to the subway so they can transfer to the GO. I suspect it wouldn't happen because there will be a connection at HWY 407 north of Steeles with the future 407 Transitway/VIVA

A connection at Steeles would be great, especially as GO starts to become more of an RER service. No need to force people to transfer to the subway so they can transfer to the GO. I suspect it wouldn't happen because there will be a connection at HWY 407 north of Steeles with the future 407 Transitway/VIVA
Vaughan is pushing for that GO station to be just south of 7 though, rather than at the 407. With the lack of north-south connection over the 407 and CN mainline, it doesn't do much for those in Toronto. Ultimately I'd think a station at Steeles to intersect with Metrolinx's proposed RT on Steeles would make sense. Though I can't see it being built anytime soon, without acquiring land for a station and parking ... unless they just shuffle the existing platform further north with the current half-assed pedestrian connections.

I'd think the station would vanish. I'm just surprised GO has been quiet about this, as far as I can tell.

Are there ridership numbers published for GO stations? I can't imagine the ridership at York U GO Train is that high due to the schedule of the trains and walking distance to campus.

Vaughan is pushing for that GO station to be just south of 7 though, rather than at the 407. With the lack of north-south connection over the 407 and CN mainline, it doesn't do much for those in Toronto. Ultimately I'd think a station at Steeles to intersect with Metrolinx's proposed RT on Steeles would make sense. Though I can't see it being built anytime soon, without acquiring land for a station and parking ... unless they just shuffle the existing platform further north with the current half-assed pedestrian connections.

I'd think the station would vanish. I'm just surprised GO has been quiet about this, as far as I can tell.

Hold on hold on. It was my understanding that Concord go was being sited south of hwy 7 in order to connect with the 407 and 407 BRT. It is the local residents who are fighting the plan.

Hold on hold on. It was my understanding that Concord go was being sited south of hwy 7 in order to connect with the 407 and 407 BRT. It is the local residents who are fighting the plan.
Well it is south of Highway 7. Just not very far. I'd assume they simply envision a ramp from the Transitway to closer to 7 than previously envisioned.

Seems to make sense to me that the GO station is a lot closer to 7 than 407, given that it's difficult to become a good node if it isn't near an artery, rather than being on an side-street isolated side-street near the 407.

I've no idea who is behind what ... but it's a recent report from Vaughan. And it certainly looks well thought out and reasonable at first blush.

Are there ridership numbers published for GO stations? I can't imagine the ridership at York U GO Train is that high due to the schedule of the trains and walking distance to campus.
Not that I know of. I've been quite surprised how many people get off there when I've gotten off a 6pmish train heading north. I've jumped on the shuttle to York ... but most seem to be walking somewhere, or are kissing-and-riding. I really don't know where they are going given the lack of nearby residential. I think some may be cutting through some parking lots, and walking over to Shale and Steeles to catch a bus. Others may have been heading to Petrolia to catch a 41.

I was quite surprised and mystified really. I'd expect many of these would be well served by the Spadina extension, in reality.

Well it is south of Highway 7. Just not very far. I'd assume they simply envision a ramp from the Transitway to closer to 7 than previously envisioned.

Seems to make sense to me that the GO station is a lot closer to 7 than 407, given that it's difficult to become a good node if it isn't near an artery, rather than being on an side-street isolated side-street near the 407.

I've no idea who is behind what ... but it's a recent report from Vaughan. And it certainly looks well thought out and reasonable at first blush.

Not that I know of. I've been quite surprised how many people get off there when I've gotten off a 6pmish train heading north. I've jumped on the shuttle to York ... but most seem to be walking somewhere, or are kissing-and-riding. I really don't know where they are going given the lack of nearby residential. I think some may be cutting through some parking lots, and walking over to Shale and Steeles to catch a bus. Others may have been heading to Petrolia to catch a 41.

I was quite surprised and mystified really. I'd expect many of these would be well served by the Spadina extension, in reality.

Forget where I saw the images, but I think the transitway will fly over the 407 to get to the north side for the GO Station and VIVA connections then fly over back to the south side west of that stop.

Back