One station on the line is called Spadina so some sense. And historically it certainly makes plenty of sense considering it was supposed to run down the middle of the Spadina Expressway.

Whats worse is calling it Line 1, 2, etc. it tells no on where you are. Changing the name from University to Spadina is crazy. There are 4 stops on the university line that are actually on university ave so the name University makes sense. There is no sense to Spadina at all.

Dupont and Spadina stations are on Spadina. It's also a historical thing, given that all the stops would have been on an "extension" of Spadina, the Spadina expressway. Really, given that 2 of the stations are on Spadina, 4 are on university, and 6 are on Allen Road, it would make more sense to rename it the Allen line.

Whats worse is calling it Line 1, 2, etc. it tells no on where you are. Changing the name from University to Spadina is crazy. There are 4 stops on the university line that are actually on university ave so the name University makes sense. There is no sense to Spadina at all.

It was called the "Yonge-University-Spadina" Line because it's actually three different lines with a subway single service - the Yonge Line (Union-Finch), the University Line (Union-St. George) and the Spadina Line (St. George-Downsview/Vaughan). Though the Bloor-Danforth Line is one line.

In New York, the A or the 6 are not lines, they are trains - the A uses the IND Eighth Avenue Line, the IND Fulton Street Line and the IND Rockaway Line, the 6 uses the IRT Pelham Line and IRT Lexington Avenue Line.

I get why the TTC is numbering the rapid transit services as "lines" (it's common nomenclature here) but as a transit purist, I believe that lines and routes/services are two different things.

Last edited:

I disagree. Everywhere I have been with numbered lines has been much easier to navigate than places that name lines. I don't care about the name of the line... all I need to know is what station I have to get off at. It's much easier remembering numbers than names when it comes to a line, especially when I'm not from the city.

Do I really care whether the line is or isnt under Spadina when I know I am getting off at Eglinton West Station? No. My destination would be Eglinton West station regardless of where the line travels.

Really, given that 2 of the stations are on Spadina, 4 are on university, and 6 are on Allen Road, it would make more sense to rename it the Allen line.

In addition to those 4 stops on University, the line also serves U of T and soon York University. I think the name Yonge-University line makes enough sense.

Having just moved to Toronto, I've been really confused about the line's name myself. This clears it up, thank you. It makes me glad they renamed it the University branch of the subway. It serves two universities, or at least it will upon completion of the Vaughan extension.
Dropping Spadina now seems to make sense. With University Avenue, U of T and York U all on the western-side of the #1 line it actually sort of works.

True. But while Spadina Rd only has two stops compared to University Ave’s four, the respective sections of subway line following University (from College to Front) and Spadina Rd (from Bloor to Nordheimer Ravine) seem to be about the same: ~1.7km. So obviously there is some sense.

And I erred earlier by saying Spadina would’ve been the only RT route with an aboriginal word in its name. Minnesota’s Blue Line used to be called the Hiawatha line. And I’m sure there are others.

Dropping Spadina now seems to make sense. With University Avenue, U of T and York U all on the western-side of the #1 line it actually sort of works.

To think people will think (though false)) the reason the line is called University is because of University of Toronto at one end and York University at the other end,

To think people will think (though false)) the reason the line is called University is because of University of Toronto at one end and York University at the other end,
While not the original name, I have to think that IS actually why TTC renamed the line this year.

In addition to those 4 stops on University, the line also serves U of T and soon York University. I think the name Yonge-University line makes enough sense.

University makes sense too. I was just saying that, if our choice of name is based on the name of the street that it runs under for the longest, then you'd call it the Allen line.

Let's just call it the yellow-line. Or line 1 if you don't want to discriminate against the colour-blind.

And I erred earlier by saying Spadina would’ve been the only RT route with an aboriginal word in its name. Minnesota’s Blue Line used to be called the Hiawatha line. And I’m sure there are others.

I don't think Spadina is a real native word. It's like a 20-generation broken telephone version of what might have once been a native word. And let's not get started on the Spa-DIE-nah vs. Spa-DEE-nah debate.

It was called the "Yonge-University-Spadina" Line because it's actually three different lines with a subway single service - the Yonge Line (Union-Finch), the University Line (Union-St. George) and the Spadina Line (St. George-Downsview/Vaughan). Though the Bloor-Danforth Line is one line.

In New York, the A or the 6 are not lines, they are trains - the A uses the IND Eighth Avenue Line, the IND Fulton Street Line and the IND Rockaway Line, the 6 uses the IRT Pelham Line and IRT Lexington Avenue Line.

I get why the TTC is numbering the rapid transit services as "lines" (it's common nomenclature here) but as a transit purist, I believe that lines and routes/services are two different things.

In toronto where we haven't had distinctions between a subway "line" and a subway "route" making a trying to separate three "lines" that runs under three streets (Yonge-University-Spadina) that happen to have one "route" or "service" is unnecessary. Making the claim that Bloor-Danforth route/service, which happens to run under two streets (Bloor and Danforth) is really running on one line a la NYC's Fulton Street or Rockaway lines doesn't make sense to me.

The only differentiation between Bloor-Danforth being one line and Yonge-Universty-Spadina being three is that the transition between the Yonge and University lines occurs at the hairpin at union where Line 1 heads back North. While on Bloor-Danforth Bloor st. becomes Danforth ave and there is no transition in directions. In today's TTC there is no need to view Yonge-Unversity-Spadina as three separate lines.

Perhaps if the original routing of the Bloor-Danforth line with service to the downtown core would it have made more sense to differentiate between Yonge and University subway lines. i.e. Bloor/Danforth to Finch via University.

Attachments

• unionstation.jpg
    unionstation.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 865
  • unionstation_lkp_016.jpg
    unionstation_lkp_016.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 859

Back