that's why I said there is a historical reason. However, the Spadina Expressway was intended to go all the way to Spadina avenue passing Bloor, which is why it is called such - it indicates where the expressway ends. And as Spadine Ave is a well known street downtown, it gives the name of the expressway a purpose.

on the other hand, the bogus "Spadina subway" neither starts or ends on Spadina Road or Spadina Avenue. It has two stations on Spadina (Dupont and Spadina stations), that's it, which makes the name less sensible than the Spadina expressway by far.

This is why naming the subway by a street name makes little sense. By colour or by number is far better. At least the King street car runs mostly on King st, and Dundas streetcar runs mostly on Dundas. Spadina expressway is hardly an acceptable reason for calling the subway branch "Spadina subway" - didn't make sense in the beginning, won't make sense in the future.

Having just moved to Toronto, I've been really confused about the line's name myself. This clears it up, thank you. It makes me glad they renamed it the University branch of the subway. It serves two universities, or at least it will upon completion of the Vaughan extension.

Spadina expressway is hardly an acceptable reason for calling the subway branch "Spadina subway" - didn't make sense in the beginning, won't make sense in the future.
I've already pointed out, it's no longer officially called the Spadina subway. Stop arguing - you won already!

Too bad the same can't be said about the 506 Carlton.
There's a good history of the 506 at http://transit.toronto.on.ca/streetcar/4105.shtml

It did make a bit more sense back in the 1800s when it ran from Bathurst to Sumach. While Carlton cars continued on College to Carlton, the College cars turned Yonge to King, then along King, Church to Front.

Ultimately the Carlton cars were extended to High Park in the west, and up Main and along Danforth to Luttrell loop when TTC took over in the 1920s - very similar to the current 506 Carlton route. However the College cars continued to run along College and down Yonge until the 1930s. Meanwhile there was already separate Gerrard route (later Gerrard-Main) from Main Street to Coxwell/Queen.

If one did change it ... what would one call it? College - makes little sense east of Yonge. Gerrard - it spends more time on Gerrard than any other street, but through downtown that's confusing, as it doesn't run on Gerrard.

It's been called Carlton since they used horses ... I see no need to change it now. It doesn't seem to confuse people.

Enough already!

Obviously no one is going to suggest cancelling part of this line at this stage - if that's what y'all are arguing about ...

It was about parkland dedication in Langstaff Gateway, and Markham’s recent changes to parkland requirements. Wasn’t in the Transportation forum, and it didn’t have anything to do with cancelling TYSSE north of Steeles - so apologies for helping to derail that page.

Off-topic somewhat: So I recall the fantasy idea posted a couple years back of splitting Y/U-S into two lines, with each section becoming branches of the DRL. But has there ever been an idea discussed of merely identifying the University-Spadina section as its own line? In other words, everything would run the same as it does now, but it’d seem like we have one more subway line.

I get that it could lead to confusion and whatnot, but with technology and computerized LED display boards the way they are now, it would be easier for novice riders to understand that the line they’re on switches names after Union.

Now, the point of this seemingly useless endeavour? There was an article recently posted on UT’s front page about a U of T talk concerning the ‘Message of Maps’, and how maps can be used to influence the viewer and effect public opinion http://afterempiricalurbanism.com/CartoGraphics There are certain techniques of doing this, such as excluding information, choice of colours, or using distortion. Well, there’s already massive distortion in the north end of the standard TTC subway map. But how about a different form of distortion: making one line appear as two? Although nothing technical has changed, I believe the alteration in the way this information is presented can have a minor effect on improving our clout or international reputation. So rather than Toronto being known for having a skimpy four line subway system, we’d have a more reasonable five.

I dunno, just wondering if it’s been discussed. Or if the TTC ever thought about having University-Spadina be its own line.

might've posted this before but a lot of over-runs were not just in the architecture/engineering, but in land deals that came in at much higher cost than anticipated. Negotiations went well above estimates.

And I don't know why there's so much hate on for having Spadina in the name of Line 1. I'd personally rather we get rid of the boring University part, and make it the Yonge-Spadina line. We're probably the only city in the world to have a First Nations / aboriginal word as the name of a rapid transit line.

And I don't know why there's so much hate on for having Spadina in the name of Line 1. I'd personally rather we get rid of the boring University part, and make it the Yonge-Spadina line. We're probably the only city in the world to have a First Nations / aboriginal word as the name of a rapid transit line.

Well my hate for Spadina is purely in jest. In fact, Spadina is by far my favourite street name in Toronto. I wish it had greater prominence in the city. It's also one of the few Native American street names (that I can think of) in Toronto, which is a shame.

Well my hate for Spadina is purely in jest. In fact, Spadina is by far my favourite street name in Toronto. I wish it had greater prominence in the city. It's also one of the few Native American street names (that I can think of) in Toronto, which is a shame.

Then the real question is are you a "Spad-eye-na" guy or a "Spa-dee-na" purist? :)

I guess most of the street names are "European" (and of course some, like Yonge, are named after people who never even set foot in the country) but at least the city itself has a First Nations name.

Whats worse is calling it Line 1, 2, etc. it tells no on where you are. Changing the name from University to Spadina is crazy. There are 4 stops on the university line that are actually on university ave so the name University makes sense. There is no sense to Spadina at all.

Back