I don't think it will be empty 24/7. If GO RER materializes on the Barrie line as planned, Downsview Park station will see a lot of people transfer on their way to York University.
On top of that, once development takes place around the station, it will be busy, but not 7/24

Why did we spend hundreds of millions of dollars on Downsview Park Station in the hopes that one day development might materialize, when there are no shortage of other areas in the city that need transit? And to this day I've yet to see any significant amount of development materialize on this site.

If developers wished for a subway station to be built here, they should've paid for it themselves. Taxpayers should not be in the business of subsidizing property developers. What a sad waste of money.

Why did we spend hundreds of millions of dollars on Downsview Park Station in the hopes that one day development might materialize, when there are no shortage of other areas in the city that need transit? And to this day I've yet to see any significant amount of development materialize on this site.

If developers wished for a subway station to be built here, they should've paid for it themselves. Taxpayers should not be in the business of subsidizing property developers. What a sad waste of money.
So you would have had the stop left out of the extension....just run it express from Sheppard West to Finch West? Does it not make a bit of sense, since you were building the extension anyway to put a stop in there to encourage some sort of TOD and connect to the GO line? I am not big on wasting money either, but I have a hard time seeing this station as much of a waste.

The whole line was meant to service York University, then it got expanded into serving The Region of York as well. The current York U GO station requires a large walk to get onto campus. If you assume the line would have been built anyway to connect to York U it makes sense to add this stop in between as a transfer point for Barrie GO, not just for students who would be able to transfer and take a subway two stops to York, but to also get rid of the York University stop which is purely a walk-in station with no parking, and very little development potential. So, yes York University was certainly one of those areas in the City that have demand TODAY, why would we miss an opportunity to optimize and leverage better connections that would only help spur further ridership? Especially when you're tunneling that distance anyway?

So you would have had the stop left out of the extension....just run it express from Sheppard West to Finch West? Does it not make a bit of sense, since you were building the extension anyway to put a stop in there to encourage some sort of TOD and connect to the GO line? I am not big on wasting money either, but I have a hard time seeing this station as much of a waste.
well one things for sure, this station shouldnt have been made as grand looking as it turned out. A simple exit and a few bus bays shouldve sufficed.

Am I the only one who thinks the new Downsview Park station is god awful? I mean what were the designers thinking?
https://www.ttc.ca/Spadina/About_the_Project/Photo_Gallery/Photo_Gallery_Images/A25-1_DSC_0388.jpg

That shade of yellow is absolutely played out and looks straight out of the 1970s. I can name multiple stations off the top of my head with that ugly yellow. Main St, Christie, Castle Frank, Greenwood, Lawrence, Yonge, Spadina, Sheppard, Royal York. We didn't need an additional one.

I like the use of yellow in our stations. It's very warm. But seeing the videos, maybe it is a bit excessive here. And considering the costs I'm actually surprised there isn't a bit more variety/texture.

Video of Downswiew Park Station

Wow, that glance over the edge in the first video is actually a bit vertigo-inducing.

Downsview Park will have no fare collector as well the rest of the stations and will be service by the next phase of Presto 100%. Customer service will replace fare collect.

Are they expecting to have the single-ride paper Presto card vending machines for cash users installed before the end of 2017? If yes, do they expect more than 5% of those machines to be functioning at any given time, given the experience with the self-serve reload machines and streetcar single fare machines to date?

Last edited:
Damn they cheapened out on the platform walls.

At pennies per square foot, at least they could have used copper pennies for the walls.

pennies.jpg

...or floors.

Damn they cheapened out on the platform walls.
This is an unfortunate precedent that has been in place since the Sheppard line. They are doing the same thing with the Eglinton LRT underground stops.

There is so much money being spent on art in the new stations, yet they just put up a concrete slab for the platforms. It's insane.

This is an unfortunate precedent that has been in place since the Sheppard line. They are doing the same thing with the Eglinton LRT underground stops.
There is so much money being spent on art in the new stations, yet they just put up a concrete slab for the platforms. It's insane.

I wish they've spent less on these ginormous stations and pavilion exits where it is not justified and use it for higher quality finishes (e.g. tiles for platform walls), platform screen doors, etc.

Bare concrete - who do they think they are? Foster? (even the concrete finish at York U appears to leave something to be desired).

AoD

I wish they've spent less on these ginormous stations and pavilion exits where it is not justified and use it for higher quality finishes (e.g. tiles for platform walls), platform screen doors, etc.

Bare concrete - who do they think they are? Foster?

AoD

Platform screen doors are a non-starter until the entire line has ATC. They are not worth it for only a few stations.

I do agree about the concrete bunkers they call the stations. It would be nice to have some sort of wall covering like Marble... hell even a chandelier and some crown moulding would be nice.

Platform screen doors are a non-starter until the entire line has ATC. They are not worth it for only a few stations.
I do agree about the concrete bunkers they call the stations. It would be nice to have some sort of wall covering like Marble... hell even a chandelier and some crown moulding would be nice.

Yes and no - the entire line sure that's not enough, but even bit helps.
Marble? Not exactly cheap or easy to maintain (plus it's a little too luxe). Ditto crown moulding. The issue with using concrete is how it is executed - not the choice itself.

AoD

Back