This is an unfortunate precedent that has been in place since the Sheppard line. They are doing the same thing with the Eglinton LRT underground stops.

There is so much money being spent on art in the new stations, yet they just put up a concrete slab for the platforms. It's insane.

So Metrolinx is learning from the TTC?

Platform Screen Doors for York U station would actually be nice. A highly used station will result in more issues. People or garbage catching fire.

I doubt the TTC would even do the entire system. Instead they'll install a few ever year like the elevators.

Yes and no - the entire line sure that's not enough, but even bit helps.
Marble? Not exactly cheap or easy to maintain (plus it's a little too luxe). Ditto crown moulding. The issue with using concrete is how it is executed - not the choice itself.

AoD

It was a reference to the Moscow Metro. If you are building a station to withstand a nuclear holocaust why not do it in style?

Moscow_Metro.jpg

Forget about unions. Look at how wide the platform is. Torontos major stations look cramped because the platforms are too narrow, especially in areas around escalators and stairs.

No one is saying we need to build mausoleums but we can at least tile the walls. The concrete walls look disgusting on the Sheppard line and it's only been 14 years.

If you want to use GO, you can bypass TTC fare area as well walk from one side of the tracks to the other freely under the plan 3 tracks. Work is underway on the GO side platforms.

Do I have to wait for the whole subway extension to open before I can finally use the new GO station?

Are they expecting to have the single-ride paper Presto card vending machines for cash users installed before the end of 2017? If yes, do they expect more than 5% of those machines to be functioning at any given time, given the experience with the self-serve reload machines and streetcar single fare machines to date?
The fare machines will be phase 2 of the current ones in services. The new fare machines are undergoing testing at this time and are to be install this summer. Once they are install and in service, they will be roll out to "ALL" location to replace the existing ones by 2019.

All the new stations are ready for screen doors to a point, depending what happens for the next fleet length.

Not impress with the station wall nor station name size.

Do I have to wait for the whole subway extension to open before I can finally use the new GO station?
Talk to Metrolinx about it as its their baby, not TTC.

Metrolinx just awarded a contract to 3 track the current single track. Until it is done, can't use one of the new entrance platform that is still not fully built at this time.

As a note for the concourse tunnel, the ceiling has shock absorption to deal with the trains crossing it and they are also under GO tracks.

I would bet any money that that will be the case. Firstly, there's almost no point in having a GO station there without the connecting subway. Also, keep in mind that due to the close spacing, in order to keep travel times reasonable York U GO will be closed down and replaced with Downsview Park, so all of those students would be screwed over with no connection to York without a running subway.

I would bet any money that that will be the case. Firstly, there's almost no point in having a GO station there without the connecting subway. Also, keep in mind that due to the close spacing, in order to keep travel times reasonable York U GO will be closed down and replaced with Downsview Park, so all of those students would be screwed over with no connection to York without a running subway.
I keep reading this at UT, however never saw this in a Metrolinx document. Do you have a reference to it? I agree that keeping York U GO open makes no sense at all.

April 1st, tracks go live with the gate at Downsview between the 2 section opening up on May 1st to allow the first train to be tow to Vaughan

I'm enough of a historical trivia and numbers nerd to ask the question -

Has a subway train (as opposed to the various construction and work vehicles) been run through any portion of the new tunnels already? If so, would anyone have the date and car numbers of the first trip?

Do I infer from Drum's comment that the northmost end has not yet seen a train?

I know there will be lots of coverage of the first official run on opening day, but lots of trains will have run the line by then in commissioning. I'm pedantic enough to feel that the details of the absolute first run ought to be recorded for posterity. Everything after that is 'alternative fact' to me, anyways.

- Paul

I'm enough of a historical trivia and numbers nerd to ask the question -

Has a subway train (as opposed to the various construction and work vehicles) been run through any portion of the new tunnels already? If so, would anyone have the date and car numbers of the first trip?

Do I infer from Drum's comment that the northmost end has not yet seen a train?

I know there will be lots of coverage of the first official run on opening day, but lots of trains will have run the line by then in commissioning. I'm pedantic enough to feel that the details of the absolute first run ought to be recorded for posterity. Everything after that is 'alternative fact' to me, anyways.

- Paul

not sure because from reading a few posts up the track has yet to be electrified if I'm correct. I guess i'll let our resident experts and industry insiders confirm/deny

Platform screen doors are a non-starter until the entire line has ATC. They are not worth it for only a few stations.
Screen doors were in the original plan, then deleted by Council for a minor $ saving. Then it turned out the design had the screen doors holding up the ceiling, so $ had to be spend to redesign without the doors, so the saving turned out to be even more minor. Presumably the screen doors on day one plan took account of the fact that TYSSE will run under new signalling from day one.

Back