Knowing how much time will have passed between EA completion on the Spadina-York extension and the time drilling starts, the Eglinton line might be ready for drilling about the same time these drills are finished their duties.

Hopefully. The other issue is the claim that since they don't know what size the vehicle will be they don't know how big a tunnel they want. I find that odd. I would have though that a tunnel big enough to fit a subway train could probably fit a LRT as well. Sounds to me like they are already backing away from the pledge of building Eglinton so it's upgradeable in the future.

Hopefully. The other issue is the claim that since they don't know what size the vehicle will be they don't know how big a tunnel they want. I find that odd. I would have though that a tunnel big enough to fit a subway train could probably fit a LRT as well. Sounds to me like they are already backing away from the pledge of building Eglinton so it's upgradeable in the future.

Toronto's subway cars are wider than light rail vehicles, but an LRT tunnel might need higher vertical clearance for the overhead wires.

Toronto's subway cars are wider than light rail vehicles, but an LRT tunnel might need higher vertical clearance for the overhead wires.

Then you'd think they'd just buy equipment that meets the highest common standard that would enable the construction of both. It can't be that much more to build a slightly wider and taller tunnel.

or maybe thay are not excluding Eglinton as a subway...

Then you'd think they'd just buy equipment that meets the highest common standard that would enable the construction of both. It can't be that much more to build a slightly wider and taller tunnel.

True, but remember that the ICTS/ART option hasn't really disappeared from Eglinton project, it's still lurking in the shadows. So if the city uses the same machines on Eglinton that would fit a Subway system, then Metrolinx would push to have a ART option. However if the city builds the tunnels to LRT specs, then the ICTS/ART option is dead.

But we already know the Eglinton tunnels are being built to subway spec. This has been stated by those planning the line time and time again.

Small update:

• The TTC got the green light from council to acquire a series of properties to make way for the tunnel between Sheppard West and Finch West stations
  • Properties include: 20, 47, 53 and 77 St. Regis Crescent, 3675-3677, 3685, 3695, 3701, 3711 and 3757 Keele Street and the city-owned site at 1300
    Sheppard Avenue West

We who have long hated the name "Vaughan Corporate Centre" may (or may not) be happy to know it's being rebranded "Vaughan Metropolitan Centre."

We who have long hated the name "Vaughan Corporate Centre" may (or may not) be happy to know it's being rebranded "Vaughan Metropolitan Centre."

Hahaha...The Metropolis of Vaughan? I support the extension but that's a stretch. I dunno why they didn't just call it Vaughan City Centre or Vaughan Town Centre.

Can't they simply call it Vaughan Centre?

That is what I am hoping they call the station. There really should be a 20 character limit on station names. "Vaughan Centre" and "407 Transitway" describe the stations well enough.

Right now transit docs are calling it Vaughan Metropolitan Centre.
There's still a bit of time so I'm sure it could get cut down to just Vaughan or VMC or Vaughan Metro or something...

Back