Not just firefights. EMS and YRP would need training too. They are new to this kinda stuff. They would be in charge of any emergency north of Steeles.

This is going to be interesting for the subway headquarters at Hillcrest. They will have another set of contacts and different emergency crews to work with. I twill be interesting to see how long will they take to perform police investigations and handle medical emergencies in Vaughan.

I wonder what will happen with shuttle buses. It'll take much longer to get shuttle buses up there since they won't have any local buses routes to pull from.

Honestly I think York Region will expect the TTC to provide shuttles in the event of an emergency when in reality Viva and YRT should be doing so regardless of what time of day it is. If they want a subway they will need to share responsbility.

If they don't like it too bad. The TTC should concern itself with emergency operations south of Steeles. If someone jumps at Vaughan Metropolitan Centre turn back trains and let YRT and Viva figure the rest out.

With that in mind, Hillcrest is going to have a hell of a time and something tells me there will be different operations north of steeles once things go badly.

God forbid we have another Russell Hill or Old Mill fire out in Vaughan can you imagine the chaos?

I can see them limiting subway operations like they did when they opened the University line in 1963. No need to run trains to VMC at 1 am. That reminds me.. will there even be any bus services in York Region past midnight?

Honestly I think York Region will expect the TTC to provide shuttles in the event of an emergency when in reality Viva and YRT should be doing so regardless of what time of day it is. If they want a subway they will need to share responsbility.

If they don't like it too bad. The TTC should concern itself with emergency operations south of Steeles. If someone jumps at Vaughan Metropolitan Centre turn back trains and let YRT and Viva figure the rest out.

With that in mind, Hillcrest is going to have a hell of a time and something tells me there will be different operations north of steeles once things go badly.

God forbid we have another Russell Hill or Old Mill fire out in Vaughan can you imagine the chaos?

I can see them limiting subway operations like they did when they opened the University line in 1963. No need to run trains to VMC at 1 am. That reminds me.. will there even be any bus services in York Region past midnight?

Im pretty sure that there will be joint ops exercises for exactly those large emergency situations. joking and arguments over jurisdictions aside, in serious cases lije Russel Hill, I don't think anyone will be arguing over who should take responsibility for the operation. is there a ttc emergency ops centre in existence or do they coordinate mass rescue through their command bus? (if it still exists)

There will probably have to run some emergency simulation exercises on all parts of the extension.

Im pretty sure that there will be joint ops exercises for exactly those large emergency situations. joking and arguments over jurisdictions aside, in serious cases lije Russel Hill, I don't think anyone will be arguing over who should take responsibility for the operation. is there a ttc emergency ops centre in existence or do they coordinate mass rescue through their command bus? (if it still exists)

Transit Control and pretty much all of Hillcrest have that capability. My thing was that York Region is getting rid of most TTC buses into the 905 yet they expect them to provide shuttles if the subway goes out.

Can't have your cake and eat it too.

There will be an extensive 'work in' period on many things. If the municipalities - laid out as some have pointed out by soldiers and aristocrats 200 years ago - can not work things out; inter-operability, connections, scheduling, and the money ie. fares, everyone here should have no doubt that Metrolinx exists to make sure that the squabbles are ironed out. If necessary over top of kicking and screaming municipalities. There will be no $2.90 rides from VMC to Union. Nor will the TTC be running shuttles free-of-charge for York.

This is only the first instance. Wait till Hamilton Street Railway is running shuttles for GO buses or GO Lakeshore perhaps. Much more of this is to come, I predict.

Transit Control and pretty much all of Hillcrest have that capability. My thing was that York Region is getting rid of most TTC buses into the 905 yet they expect them to provide shuttles if the subway goes out.

Can't have your cake and eat it too.
I would assume that the subway operator (TTC) would be the same operator that provides the shuttle buses unless an agreement with YRT is made. YRT could bill the TTC even if they provide a shuttle. I could be totally wrong as I don't know what was in the agreement between them. Either way, TO taxpayers are covering for the cost associated with operations in York Region. York Region would fund capital only. TTC could set a different fare structure and add a surcharge to York Region through. Something that's easier to do with presto.

Edit: it doesn't seem like the initial MOU include anything about shuttle buses: https://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Co...Reports/TYSSE_Memorandum_of_Understanding.pdf
The final MOU hasn't been reported yet, expected Dec 2016 according to this memo: https://www.york.ca/wps/wcm/connect...f6a10abeb00/jun+9+kostopoulos.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

We'll see what happens to fares. The original MOU only states YRT can't operate buses into York U and TTC can't double charge YRT riders to York U.

Last edited:
anyone have any idea how long it would take to ride from sheppard west to vaughan?

Given an approximate time of 3- 5 minutes between stations anywhere between 18-30 minutes to travel from Sheppard West to Vaughan Metropolitan Centre. That brings total travel time to roughly 86 minutes (1 hour and 26 minutes) Finch to Vaughan Metropolitan Centre.

Given an approximate time of 3- 5 minutes between stations anywhere between 18-30 minutes to travel from Sheppard West to Vaughan Metropolitan Centre. That brings total travel time to roughly 86 minutes (1 hour and 26 minutes) Finch to Vaughan Metropolitan Centre.
but no one is going to take that trip. The real trip is from VMC to Union which looks to be upwards to 50 mins. That is a long ride to be underground for. Personally I always look forward to when the train goes above ground at Eglinton West.

but no one is going to take that trip. The real trip is from VMC to Union which looks to be upwards to 50 mins. That is a long ride to be underground for. Personally I always look forward to when the train goes above ground at Eglinton West.

67 minutes more or less but I agree. With that said, how many people would actually do that given the time especially if there is a subway delay. One subway delay and that hour commute goes to 2 hours or more.

Ohh and if it helps I found this nifty link to help figure out travel times: https://www.lafferty.ca/files/stuff/misc/subway_travel_time_chart.pdf

Yes, this is the folly of endlessly extending subway lines into the suburbs. Subways aren't meant for long distance travel. That niche should be filled by commuter rail/RER as demand warrants.

The people that continuously push for these subway extensions probably don't ride from Kipling to Bloor, or Finch to Union on a daily basis. Sounds like a nightmare scenario to me.

I wonder what percentage of the people who get on at VMC will travel south of Bloor.

Yes, this is the folly of endlessly extending subway lines into the suburbs. Subways aren't meant for long distance travel. That niche should be filled by commuter rail/RER as demand warrants.

The people that continuously push for these subway extensions probably don't ride from Kipling to Bloor, or Finch to Union on a daily basis. Sounds like a nightmare scenario to me.

I wonder what percentage of the people who get on at VMC will travel south of Bloor.
maybe theyll all get off at yorkdale.

I think we're overstating the total time from VMC to Union if that chart posted by Richard White is correct, though. Downsview to Union shows as 27 minutes. Straight line distance is >13 km. VMC to Downsview is barely 7 km straight line distance. Yes, it curves a bit more than the southern segment, but it also doesn't have the station density south of bloor to deal with, so 50 minutes is probably the maximum time it will take. That's still too long to be underground, IMO, especially if you're standing, which I do the vast majority of my subway trips.

67 minutes more or less but I agree. With that said, how many people would actually do that given the time especially if there is a subway delay. One subway delay and that hour commute goes to 2 hours or more.

Ohh and if it helps I found this nifty link to help figure out travel times: https://www.lafferty.ca/files/stuff/misc/subway_travel_time_chart.pdf
pretty nifty but it says it takes 3 mins to get from eglinton west to St claire. I live at Eglinton West and pretty frequently go downtown via TTC (I did today at least) and that ride is always 4 mins at the minimum upwards to 5. Heres my real TTC question why is it that the TTC subway cars leave the stations when they dont know if it is all clear until the next stop. It would be so much better if when there was a delay I was at a station so I could make a exit strategy versus being in the middle of a dark tunnel with no escape plan other then running in the dark and possibly hitting the third rail.

Back