I'll bite - this is nitpicking. They've done the heavy lifting already - making the LED lights for the new stations available. You are complaining about manually changing a few pieces of paper? come on.
Good on the TTC for having the LED lights ready!

For an agency, and for the City as a whole, which blows so much hot air about environmental friendliness and fighting climate change, this is a shameful waste of paper, not to mention taxpayer/passenger dollars. I don't know why this sort of thing still surprises me coming from the TTC...they changed these what, less than 6 months ago for Sheppard West? I said then that the Sheppard West name change should have waited until now, and this is one of the reasons I was concerned.
They really should have had a full map installed and a paper cover that had the “Coming December” text covering the expansion section. Really poor planning tbh, especially with the environment as a concern.

They really should have had a full map installed and a paper cover that had the “Coming December” text covering the expansion section. Really poor planning tbh, especially with the environment as a concern.

Not really, if they sell the old maps on ttcshop.ca. They're really popular as a dorm decoration.

I'll bite - this is nitpicking. They've done the heavy lifting already - making the LED lights for the new stations available. You are complaining about manually changing a few pieces of paper? come on.
Good on the TTC for having the LED lights ready!

think about this though... installation isnt free.... unionised labour is gouging. when you have a few guys working on hundreds of cars your wasting thousands of dollars not to mention the material cost. As it was mentioned above one can buy a roll of stickers to cover the leds for a fraction of what itll take to get a new print.

In the end even if it was cheap in the grand scheme to do, it just shows how poorly organised this execution of this entire project is. That and the useless APTA 2017 stickers

think about this though... installation isnt free.... unionised labour is gouging. when you have a few guys working on hundreds of cars your wasting thousands of dollars not to mention the material cost. As it was mentioned above one can buy a roll of stickers to cover the leds for a fraction of what itll take to get a new print.

In the end even if it was cheap in the grand scheme to do, it just shows how poorly organised this execution of this entire project is. That and the useless APTA 2017 stickers
think about this though, removing stickers takes the same amount of time as replacing paper maps. where are the savings?

think about this though, removing stickers takes the same amount of time as replacing paper maps. where are the savings?

I beg to differ. A sticker is 1 pull.. Heck you can get the cleanup crew to do it. Anyone can pull a sticker. An entire sign needs one (certified contractor) to remove and carefully install. not to mention the material cost, handling cost, shipping cost, and the fact that it doesnt look good on them in this financial climate.

I might be wrong but I doubt you need a certified contractor to replace the maps in the trains. They are in the same location as advertisements which are designed for easy replacing since they are changed out every month.

I might be wrong but I doubt you need a certified contractor to replace the maps in the trains. They are in the same location as advertisements which are designed for easy replacing since they are changed out every month.

ill admit I may have overstated but its still done by unionised workers which in general = overpaid for the task. my biggest gripe is their project management performance in general

I beg to differ. A sticker is 1 pull.. Heck you can get the cleanup crew to do it. Anyone can pull a sticker. An entire sign needs one (certified contractor) to remove and carefully install. not to mention the material cost, handling cost, shipping cost, and the fact that it doesnt look good on them in this financial climate.
Maybe you've stated the reason stickers aren't practical... people would just pull them off, leaving a mess of inconsistent and inaccurate maps.

Helsinki opened its subway extension today and looking at pics of it here it's got me thinking about how I wish the new stations from the TYSSE had platforms that looked half as good as theirs. The outdoor structures of the TYSSE stations are overengineered to say the least and I would've much preferred some of that money was invested in the platforms instead which are all bland imo

One thing that's noticeable from most of the images is the height/length at platform level. It's got that expansive open feel. My guess is they don't have the massive concourse level like we do, allowing for the 25ft high ceilings. This is something I think was a huge missed opportunity with TYSSE. We spent all this money to astound people, but IMO I'm way more impressed with even a run of the mill Montreal station just because it has that end-to-end openness. Feel like we could've maybe saved $100M per station by following a nearly identical template of a basic station box, but allowing each to shine with a few $Million in cladding, lighting, tilework, and art installations.

Here is some unfortunate news on how the TTC planned the map changes, what poor planning:

I think the whole lite-brite module idea wasn't smart from the getgo. Not for replacing the cover like you tweeted. But the whole idea of a low-tech illuminated map altogether. For one it's not that intuitive and it will have to be torn out/replaced for any new system addition. But the biggie for me is that for some reason it requires a unique map not found anywhere else in the system outside Line 1. Even the colours used seem nonstandard.

Back